5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published on 16 Mar 2006 by E. Savidge

3.0 out of 5 stars Many recipes rely on hard-to-find ingredients
Whilst this book does have some good recipes in it, I found a lot of them require ingredients that you probably only find in specialised shops (although this may reflect the big supermarkets general ignorance to veganism and thus lack of vegan products). One redeeming feature is that most of the recipes provide some background about the origins of the dish.
Published on 29 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Mar 2006
E. Savidge (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Easy Vegan Cooking: Over 350 delicious recipes for every ocassion: Over 350 Delicious Recipes for Every Occasion (Paperback)
This book is a great starting point if you are converting to veganism, or just catering for a vegan. The recipes are simple, tasty and hugely popular with everyone we have cooked for (vegan or not!). The sponge cakes are particularly delicious - moister and lighter than the egg/milk equivalent. Most of the recipes are also easily adaptable so once you have some favourite basics e.g. kidney bean burgers, chick pea stroganoff, lentil curry, you can experiment adding different pulses, herbs, spices etc and they work just as well. We use this book every week and love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth having on your shelf, 1 Jun 2006
I bought this book after borrowing it from the library and finding it hard to give back. This food has fabulous recipes enjoyed by our eight and ten year old as well as us. The recipes are very easy to put together if you shop regularly at small wholefoods shops. They often use ingredients you have in already in the store cupboard. We especially enjoyed the stroganoff (very quickly and easily made), the chick pea and walnut salad and the fruity 'ice-cream' which was also very simple and good.

If you are looking for a simple every day cook book that helps you prepare tasty and healthy meals with what is in the cupboard and fridge already - this book is for you!

4.0 out of 5 stars I only took off a star for the lack of pictures!, 20 Aug 2007
Ms. K. Steadman (Ipswich, UK) - See all my reviews
This was the first vegan cookbook I bought after I went vegan, and I would say it's a really good first book for new vegans, and the basics of substituting foods. It taught me how to make vegan pancakes (which are much nicer and easier to make than the Delia recipe I used pre-vegan), has various burger recipes; and the lovely chocolate cake on the front! it's sectioned into breakfast, vegetables, pasta dishes; etc so easy to navigate. My only criticism is that there are no pictures apart from the cover which makes it hard to know what some things are supposed to look like, also pictures are good for inspiration.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little more spice and it'd be perfect!, 3 Sep 2007
Does exactly what it says in the title with fairly simple yet innovative ideas. It's divided neatly into sections(ie legumes, nuts etc) making it easy to browse, and has some nutrition advice in the foreward. My only gripe is that I find myself adapting a lot of the recipes to taste, as they can be fairly bland and require a little more seasoning for a spice-fiend like me! Most of the recipes are very healthy, but I'm of the strong belief that wholemeal flour can ruin the taste and texture of sauces and cakes, I just switch it to white and they turn out lovely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow cook book for vegans, 1 Oct 2001
R. J. Thomas "rosejt" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
As I have recently been introduced to Veganism, I treated myself to this book after reading the reviews about it. I must say, I was impressed. The menus are basic, easy to follow, and there are plenty of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars an informative and practical guide to vegan cookery, 21 Oct 2000
the recipes are easy to follow and delicious. The orange cake and especially the chocolate cake is well worth the mention A good section on making vegan creams from coconut to cashew cream. well worth buying., constantly used in my kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is Heaven sent!, 27 July 2000
This book makes changing ones whole idea about food a doddle! The Author is witty, humorous, and well researched. If you need a book on vegan food, how to cook it,what to use etc, etc , this is it and the choclate cake on page 200, is absolutely divine, if you are a recent convert you will never crave `animal' confectionery again! Or any other animal-derived food, as Even freinds in `two minds'loved the recipes in this book. Enough to try them for themselves. If you only ever buy one book make sure it is this one!. You will never want to put it down,(its a good read too not just a cookery book). Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent, 14 Jan 2007
Keen Reader (Perthshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I became a vegan in September and have purchased many cookbooks since then. Used none of the recipes as the tended to combine protein and carbs. Until LEAH'S book. I receivedthe book last week and have used something from the book every night. Simple good food and TASTY too. Re the ingrediants, I found that I could substitute and it still tasted good. The really ace result for me is that instead of making 2 meals, one for me and one for family, I can now cook from this and just add eggs/cheese/meat for family. I also find these recipes are an inspiration for me to adapt to my tastes if there are ingredients I don't like.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook!, 30 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I bought this book a couple of years ago when I felt my vegetarian meal repertoire was becoming a bit predictable and I was starting to lean a little too heavily on dairy products.
This is easily the best cookery book I have ever owned, full-stop. It offers some really interesting ideas, including numerous new ways to use tofu which I'd never even considered (favourites in my household are seaweed and tofu burger, tofu kebabs and devilled nori tofu).
Granted some of the ingredients are a little obscure but I've managed to find most of them in my local healthfood shop and I've found that the same ingredients crop up throughout the book so once you have a stock of seawed, tamari etc in your cupboard, you find you're able to tackle a number of different suggestions.
Overall I would highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to bring a little variety into their vegetarian or vegan diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - I love this book, 27 Sep 2009
I wanted a nice recipe to cook for non-vegan friends who were over for dinner and the first recipe I tried out of this book received rave reviews. Apparently my friend's husband has been telling everyone all week that it was the best vegetarian meal he has ever had! I've only been vegan for a few weeks so still experimenting with cooking but this book seems to have loads of interesting recipes. I can't wait to try more. I've had a quick flick through most of them and haven't particularly noticed ingredients that I will have a problem obtaining ingredients for. Highly recommended.