5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, maximum help for parents !
I have 3 boys, this book has helped me think about and change certain aspects of my parenting for the better.
The so-called 'experts' will hate this book as it bypass's all the psycho-babble that we are all bombarded with these days from people with no children and straight from university.
I have seen positive changes in my children because of the way I now...
Published on 10 Jan 2004 by Wistiliamos

1.0 out of 5 stars a big disappointment
Published on 5 Oct 2009 by Bluebutterfly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, maximum help for parents !, 10 Jan 2004
Wistiliamos (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Secret of Happy Children: A Guide for Parents (Paperback)
I have seen positive changes in my children because of the way I now relate to them thanks to this books clear and accessible advice.
With the excellent layout, easy to refer to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for All Parents, 11 Feb 2003
Books in this field can sometimes make you feel vastly unqualified to be a parent and grossly inadequate for allowing your child to so much as glance at a television.
It is re-assuring to find someone with a commomsense attitude towards raising children. Steve Biddulph has written 'The Secret of Happy Children: A Guide for Parents' in a way that makes you feel you are listening to pearls of widsom from a trusted friend and not some distant academic. Some of it you already know, and some of it is just a little different to what you are already doing and of course, you will find some excellent tips you haven't already considered.
This is a definite for all to have in the house to refer to when you need inspration and reassurance. It would make an excellent gift for new parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent: smart useful thought-provoking and funny, 19 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I am huge fan. This book is full of intelligent, thought- provoking and very practical advice which make you laugh out loud and pause to reflect. It gave me SO many ideas and different ways of looking at things, while at the same time it was so entertaining to read that I read it in one go unable to put it down. I proceeded to buy all his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 17 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I'm not a great reader of books, but I couldn't put this one down.
It was very easy reading, funny and very practical.
It really does hit home about where you're going wrong (and right).
I've started putting some of the advice in the book in practice and with some success.
A well balanced book, an excellent buy.
I've just bought More Secrets of Happy Children and Raising Boys by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting unmet needs!, 4 April 2007
I really liked this book. Of course I was spoiled for choice given Steve Biddulph's many excellent titles.

But then I would, wouldn't I, as he goes over similar ground to the Coaching Parent! Having said that, there is much more to gain from Steve's coverage of how we inadvertently hypnotise kids into being unhappy and having low self-esteem. It is full of useful tips, and I especially found the chapters on what kids want, ages and stages and family shape informative. Yes, you can't stress the application of love, touch and listening too often; insights into why kids behave differently at different ages may help you recover your sanity. Contemporary families have moved on massively since 2.4 kids, and Steve puts forward wise advice.

He uses a variety of rock-solid references apart from `applied common sense' [which isn't that common], such as NLP [Neuro-Linguistic Programming] and TA [Transactional Analysis].

It is very easy to see why his books are such good sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 10 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Steve Biddulph writes with authority - his points are clearly grounded in a deep knowledge of child psychology - but also with an elegant simplicity. An easy read but one we'll return to frequently when we hit problems!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best parenting book I've seen, 23 July 1998
By A Customer
Instead of the dense, detailed books that experts tend to write on this subject, The Secret of Happy Children is simple, moving, and practical. I go back to it again and again to remind me why I had children in the first place, and what my real mission is in raising kids.

1.0 out of 5 stars a big disappointment, 5 Oct 2009
This book was recommended to me by a friend. Perhaps my expectations were too great. Steve Biddulph makes some good points, though I think they are things we all know already. I was a bit shocked with his idea that shyness does not exist and the solution is to stick a child into a corner in social situations until they are ready to communicate. My daughter seems to have great difficulties with shyness, so this was one of the main reasons I bought this book, but I loath the idea to make her feel ashamed of who she is! All children are different and some have more difficulties in life than others, so sorry this book gets a one star from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars a useful and very funny book, 15 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I have read this book at least three times. His advice makes sense and the book is illustrated with funny stories from the author's experiences. Some stories make me laugh again each time I read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent: smart useful thought-provoking and funny, 12 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I am huge fan. This book is full of intelligent, thought- provoking and very practical advice which make you laugh out loud and reflect. It gave me SO many ideas and different ways of looking at things, while at the same time it was so entertaining to read that I read it in one go unable to put it down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Secret of Happy Children: A Guide for Parents
The Secret of Happy Children: A Guide for Parents by Steve Biddulph (Paperback - 1 Mar 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01