5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and very well-written!
Published 4 months ago by Manchester

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay novel but not a great spiritual read
I had high expectations for this novel having heard good things about it. I understood it to be a symbolic story of finding yourself, your true nature. It's mentioned sometimes in relation to the Law of Attraction [LoA] or other spiritual circles. However I was fairly disappointed with it.
The story was enjoyable enough with the twist that only two characters are...
Published on 25 Jun 2009 by M_rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay novel but not a great spiritual read, 25 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Alchemist (Paperback)
The story was enjoyable enough with the twist that only two characters are ever named yet this doesn't hinder the story at all. The boy, who begins the book as a shepherd, does find what he's been looking for. The trusting in faith and intuition that endears it to some of the LoA crowd is a key theme of the book.
However unlike most LoA books there is a very narrow interpretation of "faith". Although one of the characters asks the people travelling with him to swear by the God they believe in that they will follow his orders - acknowledging that other faiths exist - the author is only concerned with a monotheistic spirituality. God, He, Allah. No gender neutral universe, no mention of even the possibility of the divine feminine.
In fact there is only one significant female character in the entire book, and while she is strong and courageous, she's mostly just there as a romantic interest for the boy.
I also took objection to the book's assertion that books are useless (according to my reading of the themes), and I have no respect for a book that tells me books are useless. I understand that action is required as well as reading when you're learning from a book but that books hold no value is not a virtue I'm going to buy into.
The book also asserts that "Tradition" is always good and to be followed. I can see the point in respecting some traditions but I can think of some rather nasty cultural norms that have been stamped out or deserve to be.
Not a bad novel but not a great work of literature or of genuine un-blinkered spiritual seeking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational and very well-written!, 19 Jun 2014
Having felt a little lost and somewhat gloomy recently I came across an inspirational and thought-provoking book called The Shamanic Prophecy: The past will set you free. I had heard that The Alchemist was another book with a powerful message to convey, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Although, I don't think that any book has the power to transform your life, I found the message to be comforting and life-affirming, just when I felt in the need for a `pick-me-up'!
Small, but powerful, The Alchemist is a great tonic for those days when life just becomes too much and when all you want to do is pull up the drawbridge and shut out the world

5.0 out of 5 stars The Alchemist Paulo Coelho, 27 Feb 2014
At a time in my life where I have had so many life changing things happen, not all my choice, I had naturally felt low and out of spirits and hope, and an endless fear of not knowing what to expect with my future, The Alchemist has given me hope once again to not be afraid and to believe in the power of dreams. I found this to be exactly what I needed, at a time I needed it the most.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read., 7 May 2012
This review is from: The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream (Paperback)
I didn't expect this book to change my life but I really enjoyed sharing Santiago's journey.
If you like a magical read then this is one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Book, 30 Dec 2005
By A Customer
I think there is one reason why this book has failed to live up to certain people's expectations. If you get too caught up with the hype about something, you higher your expectations to a ridiculous level and as a result you fail to enjoy it. The Alchemist is a beautiful book because it has a simple moral, and if everyone read it at face value and appreciated what it says, you might find yourselves becoming better people as a result. I know so many people who have read and loved this book and for each person, it meant something different.
Coehlo does not write his books for a good yarn, they are not about gripping, action-packed storylines with little meaning. For that, read Dan Brown. But the messages in his books are why they are so well-loved.
This was not my personal favourite. Veronika Decides To Die was more thought-provoking, and By The River Piedra I Sat Down And Wept was written for me. But my message to everyone is, forget what you have heard. Read the book and make up your own mind, instead of drawing on what everyone else says about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a book!, 22 Nov 2012
J. Wray "Noonie" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I loved this book read it in one go even took it to bed on the afternoon to complete it...buy it now for snowy afternoons coming ready...I loved it I usually read the end of a book naughty yes but I do it...glad I didn't in this case so be warned anyone who does this don't spoil the story...enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars All is not gold that glitters, 24 Jun 2004
First of all: I don't want to offend any of the people who have found a positive message in The Alchemist - just provide a perhaps slightly less enthusiastic comment for those who haven't yet read the book.
Initially, I was charmed by the fairy-tale style of this book - but the more I read on, the less I liked it. A simplistic style can work really well to convey wisdom - just look at "The Little Prince" by St Exupery - but then the philosophy backing the style up needs to be spot-on. I don't know why, but for me Coelho's message echoed a little bit too much of a self-help book. It was a little bit too smug, I suppose.
This book definitely has to be read as an "ideas book" rather than a "character book". None of the characters are real, complex, multi-faceted human beings, and I don't think the author intended them to be. Rather, they serve as symbols to explain the author's world-view, a little bit like "Candide" by Voltaire. The main character, the treasure-hunting shepherd, symbolises the quest for meaning in life, and the voyage we are all on. His beloved Fatima, on the other hand, shows how our quest can be tangled up in another human being, rather than any of our own achievements. (Is it a coincidence that the female character is fulfilled through her feelings for a man, whereas the male character shapes his own destiny? I don't think it is, and I have to admit that riled me a little bit.)
Coelho is taking on a huge task, trying to present us with a philosophy in a fairy-tale, and it's perhaps unfair to criticise him when he fails. I don't regret reading this book, but I can't say it captures the mad, whirling, ambiguous world as well as many other novels I have read (Elliot's "Middlemarch" or Philip Pullman's "Northern Light spring to mind). It reminds me of "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" (hmm, or whatever it was called) or "Tao for Pooh" or any other whimisical but ultimately forgettable feel-good philosophy book. It's not true, solid gold this book leaves us with, but a sort of glittering imitation.
But hey, you're going to have a better time reading it than you'll have studying Hegel...
So give it a shot, and then come back and tell me that I'm a miserable old cynic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book., 18 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This book is a simple gift from the heavens, like so many other things in our world which go un-noticed. Read it in a day, or draw the pleasure out over three and have your life changed irrevocably without even trying. I read this book four years ago the first time, and finished it yesterday the second time. On both occasions, I was inspired into letting myself dream, and more so, to not be afraid to demand that these dreams be realised. Since then, somehow, I've come full circle around the world and into the arms of amazing friends and miraculous opportunities for growth. This book mightn't teach you anything you don't already know, but it's story will inspire you, and remind you of the moments when you feel love within your body, stronger than any other earthly bond known to humankind. That kind of love is what this book is about: it seeks to help us live it for ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 May 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is an amazing book. It is a story of a young man who has a dream of hidden treasure. It is a book that alludes to that fact that all of us have a purpose and a dream. Yet many settle and give up their dream, and lose their passion for life. In this book it is stated again and again that each of us has our own Personal Legend, a quest; "When you pursue your personal legend the universe will conspire with you to make it happen." You will follow Santiago on his adventure and during the process be challenged to think about your goals and dreams and what you would have to do to pursue them.

This illustrated edition is a treasure.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Fable For The Weak, 10 Jan 2008
Every so often a book comes along that is championed by millions who read it as profound, life changing and inspirational. For the current generation that book appears to be The Alchemist. 'A Simple fable about the importance of following your dreams'. Who could fail to find something worthwhile in such a blend of magical realism, spirituality and beauty? Well, me for one.

Put simply this is one of the most abject books I have ever read. Anyone who takes a positive, life affirming message from Coelho's prose has completely misunderstood the message it unintentionally broadcasts. Despite what the author and Richard and Judy would have you believe, what The Alchemist does espouse is a barely updated version of Leibnitzian Optimism which occasionally blunders over the line into full blown Fatalism. The very same philosophical position in fact that was so mercilessly torn apart and held up to the light of reason and absurdity by Voltaire over 200 years ago. Rather than a positive message, the book is overwhelmingly negative for anyone who believes in free will or our own ability to make our own choices. As Voltaire realised, the problem with Optimism/Fatalism (above and beyond its complete refusal to accept that bad things happen unless it was for 'a higher reason' or 'the greater good' or 'part of God's plan) is that when you work it all the way through to its logical conclusion you are forced to accept that free will can not exist and that we are all merely pawns in a larger game over which we have no control. How people manage to extract a positive message from being told that happiness is to be found in blindly following a destiny that is laid out before you is utterly beyond me. The one and only character in the book worthy of any sympathy or empathy is the owner of the crystal shop who, although he never gets the chance to realise his own destiny at least fails to do so because he has not accepted his destiny, has not followed the path set out for him. He may not obtain the happiness of the protaganist, but at least he can emerge from the book with his head held high and say 'I did it my way'. The further I continued into this book the angrier and angrier I found myself getting. Coelho and his marketing machine have conned the world into believing he has written an uplifting inspiring masterpiece which (just like its protagonist) seemingly cherishes material gain and publicity over whatever message he is supposed to be delivering. The reality is that he has created a world devoid of hope for the independence of thought and development of humanity. Yes, the prose retains a certain childlike innocence and beauty, certain sentences flow easily off the tongue and his use of language, while simple is evocative, descriptive and emotive. This does nothing however to hide the overwhelming pessimism and lack of freedom espoused within.

As has been said a hundred times before; philosophy-lite (and even that is being very generous), trite and completely unworthy of the praise lavished upon it. This book is a hotch potch mess of cliches about how 'life will work out in the end' and you'll get rich (which is apparently even better than and should be prioritised over falling in love and learning to communicate with the elements and nature itself.) Rarely do I find myself actually becoming angry at a book or author, but this is cynicism and milking of a cash cow in the extreme, packaged up as a book that will help humanity. I found the whole thing shallow and sickening.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream by Paulo Coelho (Paperback - 8 Mar 2012)