5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly helpful!
Published on 26 Feb 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES
A BIT TOO WORDY BUT ONCE YOU CAN GET PAST THAT LOTS OF USEFUL INFORMATION AND SELF HELP IDEAS.
NICELY PRESENTED
Published 18 months ago by Mrs. Amanda Anderson

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly helpful!, 26 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Self Help for Your Nerves: Learn to relax and enjoy life again by overcoming stress and fear (Paperback)
This book was recommneded to me and I'm so glad I bought it. I've had it a couple of years now and straight away it stopped me being scared of the more constant physical symptoms and that alone gave me confidence. The panic part is a bit harder and I do still have to work on that from time to time but each time I do I read the book again, going over the paticular bits I find comforting.
I've bought a few books now by other writers and while they were not too bad this really has to be the definitive book on this subject she just seems know exactly how we all feel and I wonder if we all feel bits of the book are written just for us - its amazing her understanding and she just instills confidence and hope all through the book. I have also recently bought another title by her 'Essential help for your nerves' a two part volume and if agoraphobia is of interest to you then she covers this very well in that.
The style of writing is straightforward and reassuring and will appeal to men just as much as women as it sticks to the point and all feels so sensible.
It would be great if the tapes she has made were more readily available and maybe put onto CD as I would like to try those too to keep reinforcing the solutions at any time when I'm not feeling 'sensible'.
I really can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars bad nerves, 29 May 2006
Having suffered with nerves and depression most of my life, i have tried everything available. Without a doubt this book is the best help i have ever had! It will become your bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, 23 Sep 2008
hiljean (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I picked up this book second-hand in a charity shop last week and was a bit sceptical because this is obviously a book which was written many years ago. However as soon as I started reading it, like other reviewers here, I found immediate comfort and an accurate description of my symptoms and the causes of the physical sensations. My own GP has been totally unhelpful and I feel like taking a copy of this book into his surgery and urging him to recommend it to others.

Within a few chapters I was already able to face up to my irrational fears and start dealing with them and am astounded at how quickly I have started to recover. This book is immensely helpful and reassuring and I am rapidly returning to the strong, confident, cheerful person I was before I started suffering from anxiety attacks. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

(Update: 3 March 2010)
This book is still on my bedside table and goes with me when I travel. It has been so valuable whenever I have had a setback or renewed fears and has always provided comfort, sustenance and reassurance to the extent that I now rarely have to refer to it. But the surprising thing is that on those rare occasions that I do pick it up, it always seems to give me the boost I need to set me back on track again.

Buying this book was one of the best things I ever did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self Help For Your Nerves - "Does what it says on the tin!", 14 Mar 2006
I have lent my copy of this book to God-Knows-How-Many people who were experiencing "nervous" illness, and they have ALL said how wonderful the book is.
You will not find a better explanation of what is going on and why - which is the secret to getting well.
Trust me, this book can change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief at last!!! totally brilliant., 23 Aug 2010
I first read this book about 4 years ago when I was REALLY bad with anxiety, panic attacks and was suffering some depression too, it was so nice to finally understand that your not going mad!!!! to have all or most of your symptoms explained and how to take a steady road to feeling better, within 2 weeks this book helped me go from having multiple panic attacks each day to having them only very occasionally (maybe 1 a month) then eventually not at all for months and months on end, it is not a miracle cure but it is most certainly a 99.9% improvment and even now when i get 'nervy'or anxious i pick up this book and read a few pages and feel better within minutes, I cannot recomend this book highly enough, if you read it and just do what u can and follow the advice given as best u can it WILL make you better!! the symptoms may pop up again from time to time but the book deals with this also so you will never be as frightened or lost as you were before reading it! it will teach you how to deal with your symptoms now and in the future and bring you back to your old self!! totally wonderful, well written, easy to take in and most importantly.....IT WORKS!!!! good luck xx

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changer which can save you years of heartache, 18 Sep 2009
Puja (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I started to suffer weird sensations in my body (chest, abdoment and stomach) about 4 years ago I'd describe these feelings as anxiety. This followed with feelings of sadness, fear and despair. These feelings were alien to me and they scared me like nothing else in life before. This book sheds light on what is keeping people like me in this state for a sustained period. The author states that it is the very fear of these 'strange' feelings which promotes more of these feelings therefore causing a viscous cycle of fear and the associated symptoms. The treatment is based on accepting the feelings for what they are, i.e. harmless physical reactions to fear and to gradually let them go such that you break the cycle. It is early days, my book arrived today, I paid extra to get it as soon as possible such was my faith after reading the many reviews on this title. I am 29 pages in and I can honestly say that I have gone from feeling desperate, tense and anxious to being more like my normal self, which for me is the only thing I would ever want to be. I can't wait to continue through the book, but do not expect this to be an overnight cure as the author states you have to allow for a period of physical adjustment, your body will expect you to behave as you have done up to now so this pattern must be broken through genuine acceptance over time. This could genuinely be the best money I have ever spent in my entire life. I think this could save people much time and money spent on therapies such as massage, reiki, acupuncture which I have used to help rid me of my anxiety, but I have found these things only treat the symptoms, whereas this book is equipping me with tools to address the root cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book ensured my recovery from anxiety/breakdown, 21 Oct 2001
I had a serious breakdown 20 years ago.My anxiety was complicated by addiction to tranquilizers . This Claire Weekes book was totally responsible for my complete, yes complete recovery.I improved 50% the day I read it!Then, I put her techniques into practice and over time I became a better person than I had ever been. I went on to do a Phd in Veterinary science, had a successful research career and have now run a successful business for the past 13 years.Before this book I had visited Psychiatrists, Psychologists, counsellors, healers etc,etc, for 2-3 years, to no avail. For 3 months before reading this "bible" I couldnt even go to work, couldnt sleep, eat etc.Then my miracle happened, I found Claire. I have since "healed" many friends and colleagues,by presenting and explaining this book. So if you have anxiety Please Please use this book. You can and will recover completely. I know,I did.Love to Claire

5.0 out of 5 stars The reassurance anxious people are looking for, 18 Oct 2007
This book puts it's arms around the anxious person and tells them everything is going to be ok. It then helps them get out of the spiral of fear-symptoms-fear-symptoms with practical steps and a reassuring confidence that you can get better. I recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave me back my life - simple as that., 15 April 2002
By A Customer
This book saved me - no exaggeration. I am a 'big bloke', considered mentally strong by friends, yet when I started getting panic attacks and panic disorder, I watched my life go down the pan, destroyed. Claire Weekes' book described exactly what I was experienceing and showed me how to deal with it. I am now cured, enjoying life once more - being normal.
Do not dimiss this book, like I did when a friend first recommended it, as a typical 'new-age' self help book. Just read it. If you do as she says you cannot help but be cured, as far-fetched as that might seem to you now. I cannot recommend it highly enough to anybody suffering from panic, anxiety, stress or 'nerves'.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really did change my life, 21 Jan 2008
I was despairing in 1978 - suffering terrible depression, anxiety, panic attacks - all of which seemed to come from nowhere - really scary as I am normally a strong person. I felt desperate and suicidal - exacerbated by seeing a useless psychiatrist and being terrified of my symptoms and feelings. I don't know how I found Claire Weekes' book but it was such a relief to start reading it - slowly and surely it took away the fear and cured me. She started by describing exactly the terrifying symptoms I had, explaining exactly what was happening to my body and gave really helpful step-by-step ways of getting better and they worked! I still remember the 'floating' trick if I am feeling a bit tense or anxious. I have since recommended this book to anyone I know who is suffering depression or anxiety. I cannot recommend it enough. This book really did change my life.