Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2000
I followed the advice from day one. Gradually changing from habit to common sense; to such an extent it felt as I was spoiling myself. The feeling of well being was immediate and allergies showed signs of disappearing within a few days. And for the first time in 51 years my hay fever did not bother me, at all. I have suffered badly from the age of eleven. I'm not a crank. Engineers aren't cranks they are realists. Thoroughly recommended aloing with the Kathryn Marsden book.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2007
I spent 20 years looking at all I could find about healthy eating, high-fibre diets and so on, and I've thought for all that time I was a healthy eater. Yet I was still overweight and had recently had increasing dyspepsia. Increasing the fibre as per doctor had no effect.

Then I came across the Hay System through the Anthony Robbins Organisation. Following its advice to avoid eating 'foods that fight' in the same meal, the dyspepsia disappeared in four days and only returns when I unwisely ignore the rules: I can get tempted when eating out and I pay for it!

I've now used the system for nearly three years and I can vouch for its value: I get much less illness and I have been steadily losing weight all that time; now I'm not far off my ideal weight. I've had the occasional relapse, which just reminds me of the gains of 'sympathetic eating' - better fitness, more vitality and that 'zing' that makes each day much easier to get through even though you know you're going to face a lot of problems. In relapse (the supermarket shelves can be sooo tempting) I quickly feel lethargic and incisive thinking becomes very difficult. This can take a day or two of eating to the system to correct.

This book is the one that launched the revival of the Hay System in the 1980s. It became a bit of a craze for a year or two, with top London restaurants opening a 'Hay bar'! But, the craze over, the Hay System has continued, successfully renewing the digestively challenged and helping people recover from a wide range of illnesses, including diabetes and arthritis. The key to it all is to eat a more alkaline diet (even acid fruit can help in this!) and to avoid eating 'foods that fight', as Doris Grant so cleverly and succinctly puts it.

In this book Doris Grant succinctly explains the origin and success of the diet. She then goes on to explain how it works in clear and simply language, including the management of many conditions it should relieve - look at previous reviews for examples. Jean Joice next introduces the System in practice and gives sensible advice on the ease of following it and the pitfalls. Over 100 pages of sample recipes and meal plans end the book.

I have looked at all the books on the Hay System that I could find. This one tops them all, covering everything you need to know in one inexpensive volume, and making following the System easy for anyone with enough willpower to avoid overindulgence. You might like to note that my 1991 copy was £3.99, and it's not much more 15 years later!

I will give one warning. Dr. Hay was wont to tell enquirers in the 1930s that if they weren't committed to improving their health, they needn't bother with this system. Most modern convenience foods are OFF the diet (as you'd expect) and the fat-and-sugar, fat-and-starch rich foods of today are not compatible with the plan. But then, you'd expect any healthy diet to be like that, wouldn't you?
0Comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2001
This is the original and best book on food combining. It has history, advice, menus, food charts the lot and, at this price, you can't go wrong. Should have a health warning on it...you know...reading this book could seriously enhance your health, sex life, life expectancy and daily vigour. If you just want to settle for everyday slobbism, forget it!
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2001
This is a must! My husband has had heartburn nearly every night for three years. The day he started food combining, it stopped! I have lost a stone in 6 weeks, but am eating loads, including crisps, chocolate + drinking lots of cider. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone. It just makes sense AND works!
on 31 August 2000
After just 3 weeks I have lost a stone in weight despite enjoying rugby player quantities of beer and wine. I feel energetic throughout the day - no more mid-afternoon lulls or chocolate cravings. You basically eat the same foods but in slightly different combinations...and cut out all the processed c**p.
on 30 August 2009
I found this book to be very good. It gives a good explaination about the principles behind the diet & also has some pretty good recipes. Overall an interesting & informative book & would reccomend.
on 13 May 2010
An excellent presentation of the Hay diet - an up-to-date explanation why some foods are not digested well with others.

The theme of the book is likely to be upsetting to people who hold onto the old belief, that you should have a high protein food with every meal, for instance.
on 8 August 2011
Due to various allergies and intestinal problems I decided to give this book a try. You really do need to read and absorb the info but what this book says does make sense. The early days were a bit hit and miss and I did find eating out a bit dificult at first, especialy when the dessert trolly came around! But with perseverance I seem to be getting into the swing of it. The recipes and menu planning were useful and easy to follow. The wife was pleased about that too. The lists of starch, free to eat and protein foods were equally as helpful. After 3 weeks I have noticed a small improvement in my health which is good and gives me the encouragement to continue.
My book arrived very quickly and yes I would use this seller again.
on 11 October 2011
I have experienced amazing health benefits from learning about and applying the information in this book, and the blue one in this series, the Food Combining Diet. If anyone suffers from indigestion, and any related symptoms, this book on food combining will surely help. It also helped me with 'monthly' problems and just about every aspect of my general health which, for some time, had not been so good. To be really effective, it really is best to stick to the advised regime for at least the first few weeks. I noticed an almost immediate difference to my arthritis pain, which actually improved after only 3 days. This was the thing that made me determined to keep going with the food combining way of eating. After some months, my chest pains stopped and also the intermittent claudication I had experienced for a year or so. That has now completely gone. Food combing also helps one to lose weight if that is a problem. It is easy as you don't usually have to eat less, just combine meals correctly. All in all, a very good buy which I would be happy to recommend to anyone, as I have done many times.
on 25 November 2011
I read this book several years ago and found that following the instructions and trying out the recipies really did make me feel better and increased energy. I lost the book somewhere, probaly moving house three times in quick succession, so happy to have it back again.
The book recommends taking your time, making the easiest change first i.e. separating concentrated protein e.g. meat from carbohydrates e.g. potatoes, pasta rice etc. You have your carbohydrates at another meal. Once that change has become a habit, go into it further. Many people find life long health problems such as heartburn improve. The main thing is, this food plan is healthy and can't hurt you.