Format: Hardcover|Change

on 9 February 2012
I am an amateur stick maker, Have only recently taken up the hobby and so far have made only about half a dozen reasonable sticks.
Regret to say I learned nothing from this poor and not very informative book, I would go as far as to say that there contradictions in this book when compared with information given by other stick makers. The Picture quality in the book was terrible and made the sample sticks displayed look to be of a poor quality.
I was also disappointed at the small number of pages for the price I paid for the book. I am not easily moved to complain about anything, but this book was a real disappointment.
Anybody want a cheap book, £5.oo inc postage I paid £7 pound something.
on 23 February 2008
Disappointed is the word that springs to mind. Poor quality printing, even the dust jacket looks like a poor colour photocopy. Indistinct and badly exposed images. I could forgive all of this but the content is slim and on a very narrow focus. No help with mounting horn handles, V sticks, alpen points, finishing etc etc. If you only want to make a wrist length walking stick with a wooden handle then this may do you, otherwise look further.
on 4 October 2009
This book forms more of an overview of the hobby rather than containing any detail of methods or techniques. Very little practical instruction, tuition or guidance can be gained from this book.
on 11 September 2000
The subject is fairly esoteric and at first glance may appear of interest to a comparatively narrow section of the population. However, that is not to say it will not be of interest to many who like to know what is going on inthe world. The narrative is nicely put together with many (black and white) photographs which clearly illustrate the ideas the author is getting across. Starting with a history of the subject the book deals with variations on the theme and describes alternative methods employed by craftsman, to produce the same article. The author's love of the subject is quickly apparent and his enthusiasm comes across. The book was so interesting and such a joy to read that I could not put it down until I had read it cover to cover!
on 15 July 2013
This is a poor quality product and not worth the money. I don't mean to demean the authors ability but the standard of book presentation and compilation is poor. Images are dated and all black and white with poor focus and appear amateurish. It is short on content and definitely, definitely NOT worth the £8.75 price. I wouldn't value it at more than £3.50 compared to other high quality woodworking books I've purchased. I would contend the author was poorly advised by the publisher
on 27 December 2012
Making Walking Sticks for a Hobby by David Dawson.

Helpful for the beginer but lacking in technical detail.

David Oliver
on 11 May 2014
Little content to the book.
A light read that was completed in a couple of hours.
Doubt if I will go back to the book.
Too brief and lacking depth
on 23 December 2015
Perfect book, brought as a gift for my husband and my 9 yr old son regularly reads it too. Helpful and easy to read.
on 13 February 2015
Great book for the low down to start making sticks.Helpful in choosing the wood.A great book to get.
on 3 September 2013
a nice little book I bought for my self as a new hobby to start in the winter months interesting