on 13 June 2006
My friends are divided; a group of us cannot stand Dyce and avoid it like the plague, and the rest adore it and keep it with them at all times. I personally have never found Dyce to be that useful, especially not at revision time! I find it is difficult to extract information from and always felt slightly dissatsified with the content, and felt the need to use other books to supplement. I really think it's best to have a read through this in the library (if possible) before buying. However, it is very rare that there will be one book that solves all your veterinary dilemmas, and I regularly use at least three books on any one topic when making notes and revising, so you can't disregard Dyce entirely, as there are chapters which I have found partially useful.
on 18 May 2002
From the first page to the last this book is packed with relevant information on all aspects of veterinary anatomy. Separate chapters on head, thorax, abdomen and limbs of all species are included along with general chapters reviewing comparative anatomy of systems (eg. nervous system). A book to learn from and an essential reference book to be able to look back on. Excellent!
on 19 January 2011
As a first year vet student I found this book very helpful for my anatomy class. It explains everything you need to know very clearly. I like that it has a general anatomy section and then more species-specific sections (Dogs and Cats, Horses, Ruminants, Pigs, Birds).
In my opinion, it's essential to have a good anatomy book for reference and revision and I definitely recommend this one. I know some people have complained that it doesn't have many picture's but I've never really had a problem with that. I think it depends on the way you study, some people prefer different styles than others and it's always a good idea to have a look at the library or friend's books before you buy.
on 26 September 2009
as another reviewer puts it - dyce is like marmite. i fall in the hate camp i'm afraid - its diagrams are inaccurate, its text far too wordy, yet somehow very superficial. and there simply aren't enough diagrams for it to call itself an anatomy textbook. time is wasted reading it because you almost always have to go and find another text to confirm the answer to your question. furthermore, it often uses unusual or non-standard nomenclature for anatomical features making its index an absolute nightmare to use.
personally i can only recommend miller, or boyd's textbooks in its place.
on 3 October 2006
I have found this particular textbook to be incredibly helpful when referring back to different aspects of veterinary anatomy. Although it lacks the detail to provide "all" of the anatomy you may wish to know or are interested in, this book is excellent for quick reference when you need to refresh your memory or even when learning from scratch.

This is by no means a book which contains everything you want or need to know about veterinary anatomy. It is best used in conjunction with another text. I found "guide to the dissection of the dog" combined with Dyce was excellent when looking at canine anatomy. This is mainly because I found dyce lacking when looking at blood vessels and nerves, which the other book covers excellently. I found Dyce to be very helpful during the preclinical part of my veterinary studies and would recommend it to any 1st and 2nd year students who find anatomy a little tricky.
on 6 April 2000
A well written, clear and concise book, containing anatomy text and illustrations, an excellent book not only for students but animal owners interested in the anatomy of their animals. It covers all the major species incountered and is detailed enough even for the most demanding student! Especially useful for students in their first two years of their vet degree program. Note it is best to view this book first before purchasing owing to its high price - but is well worth the price as it will be used over and over again.
on 18 November 2009
I am a BVetMed Year 1 student at the Royal Veterinary College. This is the only book they require us to purchase - but it's awful. Very few pictures - mostly sketches, almost no photographs. It is much easier to understand where something is in the body and what it looks like from a picture than from a verbal description. I hate this book.
on 21 January 2014
A brilliantly illustrated book, ideal for those starting in veterinary medicine or science. This was bought as a gift for our daughter who wants a career in veterinary medicine, she lovely the book and gives detailed anatomy of 6 different animals.
on 7 April 2013
A good solid veterinary anatomy text book, could do with some more comparisons between species, but plenty of diagrams, possibly a bit more detail required in places. but overall a very good text book
on 1 October 2012
Product description was alright,together with prompt delivery. The illustration of the book are quite old fashioned,I would have expected more colored stuffs,but overall,its alright