5.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely old fashoned story, 25 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Bunnikin's Picnic Party (Rhyming Stories) (Hardcover)
Very pleased to have found this again after my Mum used to read this to me, and now I am sharing it with my own children. My 2 year old just loves all his books but without fail will come back to this one and turn the pages studying the pictures, asking for it to be read again.

The plot itself is simple but very pleasing- a group of baby bunnies go on a picnic in the woods, and various things happen, but they all look after one another and end up safe at home with mother. It is a very old fashoned story in the sense that when published it probably WAS possible to send a group of children packed up for a day outdoors on their own, and now we just wouldn't do that, but the story is heartfelt and warming, clearly illustrating the care of siblings toward one another, and the fun of being young.

I think any children's story is all the better in ryhme, and I have begun collecting some of the ladybird old 401 series because my boys enjoy them so much and ryhming stories- or atleast half decent ones- are very hard to come by. (For anyone also with an appreciation for these things, we did come across a beautiful poem-style version of The Emperor's New Clothes the other day, which is very 'modern', by Marcus Sedgwick and wonderfully illustrated by Alison Jay.)

Over all, for the price (I paid a penny plus postage here) I would thoroughly recommend Bunnikin's Picnic Party for young children. I wonder why they don't do many children's stories in ryhme these days, I've no doubt they would sell..

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Ladybird 2000 reproduction, 11 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Bunnikin's Picnic Party (Rhyming Stories) (Hardcover)
This is a reproduction of a Ladybird Book first published in 1940. Many adults will remember this as a child. It features beautiful artwork and will delight todays children. A classic tale, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of my childhood, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Bunnikin's Picnic Party (Rhyming Stories) (Hardcover)
Brought back memories of my own childhood - my mother used to read it to me in the 50's. I am thrilled that I have it again to read to my new grandson when he is old enough. Good condition. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY, 12 Nov. 2014
It's a vintage Ladybird ...enough said

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Feb. 2015
Memories

Bunnikin's Picnic Party (Rhyming Stories)
Bunnikin's Picnic Party (Rhyming Stories) by W. Perring (Hardcover - Dec. 1940)
Used & New from: £0.01