Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 June 2015
I will leave the book review to others, this is about the 'Anniversary Edition'.

I bought it because I wanted a good hardback for reading enjoyment and keeping. I thought that a publisher who was reprinting an important book, not only in the literary canon but one in their own history, would do so to the highest standards. Unfortunately that's not the case.

The book looks as if it has been photo-reproduced rather than reset. This process has not been done well; the text of the novel is blobby and fuzzy and contrasts to that of the introduction and foreword. Many paragraphs include lines at a smaller point-size, as if the page was slightly folded. The black and white photographs add something but they are rather washed out.

The chronology, photographs, foreword and introduction, inset ribbon bookmark, all indicate intention to make this edition special - I'm just mystified that they didn't make the text look crisp.
on 17 December 2013
I read this over 40 years ago when a good friend gave it to me during a really rough patch. I went on to read all of Herman Hesse's books, get divorced, bring up children alone and get a law degree, and throughtout this book has remained in my memory, the depth of the story so complete, that I was able to relate it to my 22 year old son when he got his Masters Degree, and have now bought him a copy. We went away to France, were we sat quietly and we read it to each other. He is now hooked.
on 14 March 2016
Enjoyed it - a good read. And the Anniversary Edition, I just can't understand why it didn't cost three times as much... it's really good quality.
on 4 July 2014
Item as described, quick delivery, smooth transaction, many thanks!