5.0 out of 5 stars A very well written and enjoyable novel
A very well written and enjoyable novel

Published 1 month ago by Tant le desiree

2.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Mills & Boon
Hmmm, what to say about this book? On the one hand, we are in the middle of the inescapable World Cup and I have stockpiled some books to see me through - this being one of them. So, it whiled away some time pleasantly enough.

Published 3 months ago by EleanorB

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very well written and enjoyable novel, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: Cicely's King Richard (Cicely Plantagenet 1) (Cicely Plantagenet Trilogy) (Paperback)
A very well written and enjoyable novel

This is the seventh novel that I have read which involves Richard III that I have enjoyed. I am often quite a slow reader and it can sometimes take me several weeks to finish a book but I read this one in less than a week so it must be good. Unfortunately as with most books involving Richard III it doesn't have a happy ending ( unless of course you are on the side of Henry Tudor!! ) but the author can't be blamed for this otherwise it would involve rewriting history. The author has written a sequel to this novel about Cicely Plantagenet which I will look forward to reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for Ricardian and romantics!, 1 Aug 2014
Aaargh, you left me high and dry, Sandra Heath Wilson, when the book suddenly came to an end and I found the next part of the trilogy is not yet available. I'm a Ricardian, I devour all books about Richard III, fiction and non-fiction, and I'm perfectly happy for a writer such as yourself to present a 'might-have-been-scenario' that draws on historical fact. Great blend of fact and fiction! Moreover, I understand the awfulness of falling in love with the 'wrong' person. So Cicely's King Richard was thoroughly enjoyable for me and I thought it well-written and I look forward to the continuing story of Cicely :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Mills & Boon, 16 Jun 2014
EleanorB - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

HOWEVER, if you are a fan of well researched historical fiction with plausible story lines, then this series would probably best be avoided.

The premise of the story is the contemporary rumour mongering surrounding Richard the Third and his nieces, Elizabeth and Cicely of York, eldest daughters of his deceased brother, Edward the Fourth. At the time, the notion of a teenager did not exist, as children morphed into adult life very quickly - boys and girls - and noble girls were deemed ready for the marriage market at, or just after, puberty. Papal dispensations for consanguinity were also often sought and granted if the strategic need for a particular marriage demanded it. So, there is no mileage in retrospective judgements about child abuse and incest, both of which issues greatly and quite rightly, upset our modern sensibilities.

The real problem with this book is quite simply that it is not very good: the story is a fantasy, and the character of Cicely, whilst feisty and loyal, would never have been permitted such freedom of thought and action or such easy familiarity with young men.

So, it's an implausible and somewhat overheated sexy romp through the period leading up to Bosworth and the ascent of Henry Tudor, and on that basis, if it appeals then go ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, I'm glad some people stand up for ..., 12 Aug 2014
Good story, I'm glad some people stand up for Richard, A little bit more "slushy" than I would have liked, but Ilike a non Skakespeare/Tudor point of view is a good thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Historical fiction is, yes, fiction, but can't be invented as a whole, 25 Jun 2014
Valentina Rolandi "Tawa" (Grugliasco (TO), Italy) - See all my reviews
I was reading through the other reviews, and quoting one of them: "According to history, Cicely and her sister loved their uncle Richard III, who later became king of England. Throughout history, rumours have abounded that Cicely and Richard were more than niece and uncle; they were in fact, lovers."
Well, that's exactly what worries me about this book. "According to history" there was NO such relationship between Richard and Cecily, and nothing to suggest it either (so much for "aboundance" of rumours)! There might have been rumours about her older sister Elizabeth based on speculation over a letter she supposedly wrote, but certainly not about Cecily, whom Richard also provided a husband for before being killed at Bosworth (that marriage was then annulled by the new King Henry). I understand that there is freedom of speech (and thankfully so!) so anyone can virtually write whatever they want, but since Ms Wilson states that her romance is entirely fictitious I think she should've stayed away from famous historical characters and invented her own, just like she invented anything else in this plot (besides the unavoidable historical events) - because this is what is going to happen then, some people are really going to believe this was the historical truth when it wasn't. I think my point should be valid for every historical character in general, but even more so for such a maligned one like Richard, who's had so many lies told about him over time and certainly doesn't deserve this newly made one.
Maybe with original characters the book would sell less, since it couldn't make good use of the exceptional popularity Richard's story is getting now that his remains have been found, but it would be more honest - and one could actually enjoy the writing without constantly having to think about how wrong the story sounds.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cicely's King Richard, 7 Aug 2014
A very interesting story about King Richard and his niece Cicely made up of course but one I have thoroughly enjoyed. I am now waiting for the next instalment to a fascinating series. 4 star rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a pity !!! ... another slander ..., 25 Jun 2014
What a pity! another missed opportunity to write a book about the brief but intense life of the last Plantagenet King or to shed light on the poorly documented life of Cecily of York; Instead the author chose to write yet another slander on the first and a mountain of undocumented assumptions on the second. No historical basis, only inventions. The result? a meatloaf between a lusty old fox and a young Lolita ... what a waste .... how sad ....

1.0 out of 5 stars Fifteenth Century Shades if Grey, 4 Sep 2014
This book is utter drivel, as is its successor, Cicely's Second King. I believe there is a third. Perhaps fifteenth Century Shades of Grey would be a more appropriate title.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 16 Sep 2014
I loved this book ,to many books are written about the well known people that you more or less know what happens so this was refreshing to read

1.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended to anyone who likes Richard III!, 14 Jun 2014
Ok I know this book is JUST a fiction, a work of pure imagination.... yet I can't help but feel offended by this mediocre pack of lies about Richard III, a king who didn't deserve the slanders under which the Tudor buried him for centuries. And surely he doesn't deserve this new completely made up slander about him and his niece Cecily. Simply absurd and UNTRUE. If you want to read about some scandalous made up liaison just buy a chick lit and leave history to historians and serious historical novelists.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cicely's King Richard (Cicely Plantagenet 1) (Cicely Plantagenet Trilogy)
Cicely's King Richard (Cicely Plantagenet 1) (Cicely Plantagenet Trilogy) by Sandra Heath Wilson (Paperback - 30 May 2014)
8.27