5.0 out of 5 stars warmer and funnier than before but still a great read
i'm guessing most people will be coming to this book having read "a million pieces", frey's first memoir, and this book picks up where a million pieces left off with frey coming to the end of his prison sentence for his various drug and alcohol fueled activities.
but it would be wrong to assume that this is going to be more of the same. where a million pieces was a...
Published on 6 Oct 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars When I sat down to read it. . .
To be fair I had read this book before the allegations came out. I found the book to be a good tale between friends, Nothing special and Mr. Freys exploites had absolutely no impact on my review. Frey's writing style is a bit rough aroung the edges, but it is still a good solid read that most people will enjoy.
Published on 18 Mar 2006 by John Lithgow

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Taking the edge off!, 23 Feb 2007
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I loved 'a million little pieces' and though 'my friend leonard' is a good/ok book, its a shadow of the first and as such it took something away from its predecessor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frey's Work, 4 Feb 2006
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
Just like 'A Million Little Pieces', Frey's work on 'My Friend Leonard' is just as impressive. He is a prolific writer with great detail shown through out his books. I would highly rcommend them as being great reads for years to come.
Also recommended: Another impressive writer is Katlyn Stewarts work on Nightmares Echo (I still can not get that book out of my mind)

3.0 out of 5 stars a nice surprise, 1 Aug 2007
Mez (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I've not read his other book..but I really enjoyed this one... I found his writing very different, which is good. It made me cry (almost twice)... I loved the ending... and missed the book once I had finished it. I would have been happy to carry on reading for a few more tube rides. A lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece!, 30 Jun 2007
R. P. Sedgwick "Grim Rob" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I know there is some controversy over James Frey's two books and how much of these so-called first hand accounts of his life are what actually happened.

Frankly I am not bothered. Both books are masterful and very original/inspirational/sad/joyful whether they are fictional, non-fictional or some mixture of the two. Whatever label is attached to the book doesn't alter its content.

My Friend Leonard is a sequel which for once is just as good if not even better than the original. I would strongly recommend reading the books in order but each is self-contained and may be read without having looked at the other.

Ironically as the two books are about addiction they themselves are very addictive. Do you read them as fast as you can or do you try and savour them and make them last a few days was my dilemma. With both of them I tried the latter and ended up doing the former.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Friend Leonard, James Frey, 31 July 2005
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
I laughed out loud and cried and cried and cried, a truely beautiful story, well written and heart wrenchingly honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
As described and delivered swiftly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read - but surely a work of fiction ?!?!, 15 May 2005
julia cutting (oxford United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this - but for me, it just doesn't ring entirely true as an autobiography. It's sad, thoughtful and moving in equal measures - and I recommend it - you do need to have read ' A Million Little Pieces ' first however, to fully appreciate the book. I just couldn't shake the feeling that it was fiction, though. But that doesn't really detract from the story. Just suspend your disbelief!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Can Be Learned, 31 Oct 2005
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
Much can be learned from this honest and forthright account of a life dealing with addictions. The stroy is enthralling and you are caught up in the whirlwind to fight off the addictions and see that the author becomes the winner. A very inspirational book similr in ways to that of Nightmares Echo and Smashed. Also one has to say that of course it has pieces of A Million Little Pieces as well as in parts like that of Running With Scissors. For a book that will blow you away with courage and determination read this book as well as those listed above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read 3 pages and lost the book.... was a good 3 pages!, 22 Dec 2012
Robert (Putney, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
As the title fo the review says I only go tot read three pages but that was enough to make me think "I'm really going to enjoy this book". Like an idiot I then lost the book before a flight. What a plank! Was intrigued enough to want to buy it again though. Funny thing is I ordered it by mistake in the first place! Meant to order A Million Little Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly great read, 10 Sep 2009
Mr. I. D. Clarkson (UK, Durham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
This is a great follow up to million little pieces. I'm hoping James writes for a long time to come.

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

My Friend Leonard
My Friend Leonard by James Frey (Hardcover - 9 May 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01