5.0 out of 5 stars warmer and funnier than before but still a great read
i'm guessing most people will be coming to this book having read "a million pieces", frey's first memoir, and this book picks up where a million pieces left off with frey coming to the end of his prison sentence for his various drug and alcohol fueled activities.
but it would be wrong to assume that this is going to be more of the same. where a million pieces was a...
Published on 6 Oct 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars When I sat down to read it. . .
To be fair I had read this book before the allegations came out. I found the book to be a good tale between friends, Nothing special and Mr. Freys exploites had absolutely no impact on my review. Frey's writing style is a bit rough aroung the edges, but it is still a good solid read that most people will enjoy.
Published on 18 Mar 2006 by John Lithgow

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another most moving story, 10 May 2010
Roger Keen - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
As a sequel to A Million Little Pieces, I wondered if this would have anything worthwhile to say or whether it would prove to be just a limp attempt to cash in on the success of its predecessor. After a slowish start, it certainly did find its feet and developed into another most moving story.

Leonard is a superb character; you couldn't make him up from scratch yet he feels like a fictional creation. Ex-cocaine addict and alcoholic, ultra-rich criminal mastermind, art connoisseur, bon viveur and self-appointed adoptive father to James, he is very much larger than life. In this role, he pops into James' life, taking him out for lavish meals and dispensing good-natured fatherly wisdom. Meanwhile, James struggles with the inevitable flatness of post-addiction life, drifting through jobs and relationships whilst he finds his feet as a writer. Although the denouement is spoiled somewhat by A Million Little Pieces, there is a twist in the tail and another neat - quite novelistic - conclusion.

The prose style is spare, almost journal-like, but the book still retains a novel-like feel. After the controversy surrounding the made-up bits in A Million Little Pieces, one wonders how much is true and how much is made-up in My Friend Leonard; but if anything that increases its appeal as a read. Now we are in the era of the 'fake memoir': a 'true' story with fictionalised bits; but in former times we had the roman à clef: a 'novel' based on real life. Ultimately, is there really any difference? Is it a good read? - that's what matters. And with My Friend Leonard the answer is yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars For God's sake, 23 Nov 2005
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
Don't read the final chapter on the train (as I did), a thirty something man crying is not a pretty site. Fantastic book, as was A Million Little Pieces, Frey is more lucid but still fantastic in this little gem. Another emotional rollercoaster from Frey.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 11 Dec 2009
Mrs. D. Fish (inverness, scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
Excellent book. really enjoyed a million little pieces and this picks up where it left of. Who cares if its not all strictly true it's a fab read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Books dont get much better than this..., 18 Nov 2005
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
My Friend Leonard is the follow up to Frey's masterpiece, A Million Little Pieces. My postie delivered it this morning and after doing all my housework, feeding my boys, I settled down to read it. At 3:18pm I finished reading it through a blur of tears. MFL is just as good as AMLP and believe that came as a surprise - I didn't think books could get much better than AMLP.
At the end of AMLP you are told what happens to each of the people Frey meets in rehab, so you kind of wonder what the point of the follow up will be, as you already know Leonard's fate. However, there is much left to be said, and although Frey isn't in a visceral struggle to come off booze and drugs, daily life is as much a struggle. The writing style is the same, the pace and emotion doesn't change, and I admit to reading some passages through blurred eyes. It's another fantastic book which will stay with me forever. Hopefully some of you that pick up AMLP will go on to read this too.
I feel that life would be a little dull without a James Frey book to look forward to reeading, but how much of his story is there left to tell? I sincerely hope we haven't heard the last of Frey's life stories and such is the power of his writing that I too will miss tales of Leonard, Cassius and Lilly of course. But I look forward to catching up with Bella, Miles and of course James again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in years, 29 Jan 2007
Mel (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
From the first page I was with him, and couldn't put him down. He was on a journey and I was going with him! No matter how emotional, difficult, hurtfull..... beautifull! I just couldn't leave this character on his own. I'm not going to say too much as I think this book will mean so many different things to different people. Needless to say, it's amazing and superbly written !

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING READ, 2 Jan 2006
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of James' work since his first book, A Million Little Pieces. His unique prose and beautiful mind combine to create a stark and raw inside look at what it means to overcome and depend on those few trusted people around you. James bravery in sharing such an intimate account of a TRUE friendship and the ups and downs of that friendship are truly warming and wrenching. I encourage anyone from any background and walk of life to pick up BOTH of James Frey's books, find a comfortable place to lounge, keep some Kleenex close by and follow James through the 'Rabbit Hole' of his life....his loves....his loss.....and his triumph. Another exciting book is 'The Quest' by Giorgio Kostantinos. Pick up a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Friend Leonard - Amazing, 1 Nov 2005
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Hardcover)
This is one of the most amazing, powerful books I have ever read... so unbelievably well written... It made me feel all emotions, sometimes all at once, making me laugh out loud, and cry on a bus full of people... What makes this most amazing is that it is a true story, written from James Frey's heart and life, where he never seems afriad to lay it all out and tell us how he really felt... If you read this, you MUST read A Million Little Pieces... I didn't think it would be possible to write such a good book again, but this most certainly proved me wrong... I'm so glad we had a follow up to it in the most touching, exciting, sad but happy form of, My Friend Leonard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction/Non-Fiction = Irrelevant, 16 Mar 2007
S. Yolland "WM" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I must confess that in this I expected a far lesser book than "A Million Little Pieces" - after all, the sequel is never as good as the original, is it? ... how wrong I was! This book was very familiar in terms of the authors style and manner of expression, but simultaneously "felt" very different. Less graphic in terms of gruesome detail, but deeper and more meaningful somehow. His tale is ultimately uplifting, but his journey is far from a fairy-tale. Regardless of the fiction/non-fiction scandal that will forever taint Frey's work, this is one of the most "real" stories I have read in a long time (and I mainly read non-fiction). It would be a mistake to pass this book by, especially if you've read "A Million Little Pieces".

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 2 Aug 2014
Have tissues ready..................
I loved this book. I read the 1st one and ordered this right away, I felt so involved that I was gutted to have finished the book,I sobbed my heart out at the end.
there is a lot of controversy that surrounds both of the books, but to be honest it really doesn't matter,
fantastic read. could not put it down, my advise......BUY IT

5.0 out of 5 stars My Friend Leonard, 4 Sep 2006
This review is from: My Friend Leonard (Paperback)
I loved a million little pieces even though I realise some of it was fabricated. To me it didn't matter....James Frey has managed to write about being a recovering alcoholic with such honesty and intensity, so after reading this book I was dying to read My Friend Leonard.

I was not disappointed. I enjoyed it more than the first one. James Frey has managed to create a 3 dimensional book and for me I was able to visualise so much of this story. Being a recovering addict myself this book really spoke to me without preaching and the 'twist' at the end finished me emotionally! I would recommend anyone to read this book and I wish James Frey all the luck in the world and admire his bravery.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

My Friend Leonard
My Friend Leonard by James Frey (Hardcover - 9 May 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01