Granada Television: The First Generation
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£15.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 23 June 2014
I am a warm admirer of Granada Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett, and particularly of Michael Cox work as a producer. I read with the greatest interest "A Study in Celluloïd" and wished eagerly to know more about changes and evolution in British television. It's the reason why I ordered Granada television, The first generation. The book is made of interesting short articles written by excellent television professionals (writers, producers, etc) such as John Finch or Denis Forman. Some of them have worked for the Sherlock Holmes Granada series: Jeremy Paul,Robin Chapman, Alan Plater, and Michael Cox of course. I must not forget David Plowright, who was head of Granada when the series was launched. This book helps the British series'buff to discover what is going on behind the scene: how people work, their wishes, their difficulties. Granada was sometimes helpful to them (mainly at the beginning) and sometimes not (during the Thatcher era), according to the times and political situation. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that there is only two articles by Michael Cox. He edited the book but, when I saw it on amazon site, I imagined he had written the whole stuff. But he had not. Nevertheless, the book is a good read.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I worked at Granada through the heady days of Brideshead Revisited and Jewel in the Crown. It was a great time to be in TV then, with quality productions, good scripts and brilliant writers, great Producers and directors, and of course, great film crews who knew their business, could cope in a crisis and never had a tantrum! Brilliant times.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Customers who viewed this item also viewed
The Dream That Died: The Rise and Fall of ITV
The Dream That Died: The Rise and Fall of ITV by Raymond Fitzwalter (Paperback - 7 Mar. 2008)

ITV Cultures: Independent Television Over Fifty Years
ITV Cultures: Independent Television Over Fifty Years by Johnson (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2005)

Pinkoes and Traitors: The BBC and the nation, 19741987
Pinkoes and Traitors: The BBC and the nation, 19741987 by Jean Seaton (Hardcover - 26 Feb. 2015)