5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets
I came upon this play and Ben Jonson by the back door. I was watching a movie titled "The Honey Pot" with Rex Harrison. His character Cecil Fox after observing this play used the outline for his own purposes. So naturally, I have to read the play to see what the movie is mimicking.
Published on 18 Feb. 2009 by bernie

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction, but I need my footnotes.
Published on 28 Oct. 2012 by Papa Grandma

5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets, 18 Feb. 2009
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have several copies of "Valpone" (the fox) to compare information on Ben. This is a review of the "New Mermaids Series" I have several of their series. They give you all the background information and any annotation needed. They make the information interesting enough that you feel that Ben Jonson is in the room with you. I am sure some people would not want to be in the same room. I was surprised to find that William Shakespeare acted in some of Ben's plays.

The play is well written and has many levels to it. If it did not have so many footnotes, I would be in trouble. It reads as an English play yet has parts that would make Stephen King blush.

4.0 out of 5 stars "If this be held the high way, to get riches, may I be poor", 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Volpone (New Mermaids) (Paperback)
Wise, satirically witty, and excellently written, Ben Jonson's 'Volpone' is a study of duplicity, selfishness, and material greed. Volpone, a Venetian crook who fakes illnesses, tricks his acquaintances into paying him money, and turns the circle of those he knows strategically against one another; is one of the best evoked protagonists of the Renaissance period. He is backed up by Mosca, his 'parasite', who spends the majority of the play aiding and abetting Volpone's cynical schemes. The play's evocation of evil is excellent - equal parts deliciously-handled comedy, and serious critique of excess. The play also interweaves a number of sub-plots, some working well with the main plot, such as Volpone's plan to coerce a local merchant into cuckolding his wife for Volpone, but others, primarily the plot of the two English statesmen, often seems a little hackneyed and improbable. On the whole, 'Volpone' is a highly enjoyable play, and one which is surprisingly still laugh-out-loud funny in places, and as relevant now, as when it was first produced, in 1606. There are one or two mis-steps along the way, and Volpone and Mosca's schemes begin to wear slightly thin towards the close of the play, but this is still an excellent piece of Renaissance comedy-drama.

5.0 out of 5 stars Each version and edition reveals new facets, 18 Sept. 2005
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Volpone (New Mermaids) (Paperback)
I came upon this play and Ben Jonson by the back door. I was watching a movie titled "The Honey Pot" with Rex Harrison. His character Cecil Fox after observing this play used the outline for his own purposes. So naturally I have to read the play to see what the movie is mimicking.
The play is well written and has many levels to it. If it did not have so many footnotes I would be in trouble. It reads like an English play yet has parts that would make Stephen King blush.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Volpone (Revels Student Editions) (Paperback)
Great copy for any English Lit student who needs one. Cleverly annotated and plenty of footnotes and commentary to keep track

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice introduction, but I need my footnotes., 28 Oct. 2012
This cute little pocket-sized book is great if you just want to read the play. But for a student it's not great, the margins are tiny and the lack of any footnotes at all makes me worried I'm missing contemporary references that would illuminate the text. And while the introduction is great it's not what you would find in, say the oxford edition. So, yes, while it's good and all, it's not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good condition, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Volpone (New Mermaids) (Paperback)
I hate Volpone with a passion, but I'm studying it for English Lit so I have to get it. So this review isn't for the play itself - but this particular book was delivered in good time in excellent condition, so absolutely no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 10 Nov. 2014
Brilliant story and great delivery service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 10 April 2015
Mr. E. E. Gill "Edward Gill" (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
Bought it for my grand-daughter at Uni.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Feb. 2015
as described usable for school

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Volpone (Revels Student Editions) (Paperback)
Arrived as expected

Volpone (Revels Student Editions)
Volpone (Revels Student Editions) by Ben Jonson (Paperback - 11 Mar. 1999)