5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening
Published on 18 Jan 2012 by Miss Debs

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Cynical!
Published on 28 July 2012 by David E. Perkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 18 Jan 2012
This review is from: Higgs Force: The Symmetry-Breaking Force that Makes the World an Interesting Place (Paperback)
Having always been interested in science, I found the book fascinating and very informative. When I was reading it I couldn't wait for the next chapter. Questions about the fundamental forces that build up the universe were answered in depth, difficult concepts skilfully built up without the use of complicated mathematics. The electromagnetic, strong and weak forces are explained in an extremely clear and concise manner. Any difficulties and misconceptions that cropped up in my head after reading a more challenging passage, were addressed immediately in the following paragraphs.
I particularly enjoyed how the historical and biographical details gave an engaging insight into the lives of the scientists and their discoveries. The level was set just right for me and left me wanting more. I have put what I have learnt to good use, I feel much more confident teaching atomic structure and forces in GCSE physics. I would enthusiastically recommend this book to anyone interested in the fundamental forces of the universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Higgs Force, 16 Jan 2012
As a non-scientist, my needs from a popular science book are demanding to say the least. I need clarity; creativity to keep me reading; a welcoming tone that neither patronises nor baffles; and a healthy dose of mystery to inspire my curiosity. I got all this and more from `HIGGS FORCE'. This book brilliantly takes the reader by the hand to meet the scientists whose genius (and some might say insanity) revealed the inner workings of the natural world. As a reader, I am not easy to enthral and if a book cannot grip my imagination within the first few pages I `switch off'. I suffered no such disappointment with this work - I was enchanted from start to finish!

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkably book about a difficult topic, 26 Feb 2013
I have read a number of books addressing quantum and particle physics, and am interested in the topic without being a proper scientist - but my previous reading has always left me puzzled and overwhelmed by both the concepts and the large number of people involved in the evolution of this science. Dr Mee's book is by far the best I have read, for the simple reason that his explanations are achieved in a writing style which is clear and concise. It is very difficult to please all readers with one writing style, but for me the short sentences and logical steps in Dr Mee's text led me painlessly into areas which have proved inaccessible to me via other books on the subject.

I look forward to the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 17 Oct 2012
As a lover of popular science, I found this book to be a great introduction to particle physics. From start to finish the book took me on a thrilling journey towards the discovery of the Higgs. This is must read for anyone with a passion for science. You do not need any previous science knowledge as the book tells you everything you need to know in an accessible and informative way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Oct 2012
george m smith (KIDDERMINSTER, Worcs, GB) - See all my reviews
This book was a great introduction to particle physics and, with the world talking about the Higgs, was enthralling from start to finish. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone with an interest in physics and a love of science. It really is very easy to read and everything so well explained that it is perfectly understandable. The writer clearly has a passion for science and a rare ability to make complicated concepts accessible for all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Cynical!, 28 July 2012
David E. Perkins (East Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
I agree with the previous reviewer about the misleading title, but I feel a lot stronger about it, to the extent of considering it a cynical ploy to cash in on the latest interest in the LHC investigation of the Higgs. It's as if Mr Mee wrote what is simply a competent, but certainly not outstanding or literary, book on "A Standard History of Particle Physics", and his publisher said "lots of people have already written about that, you need a better title which should mention the Higgs everyone is on about". Not only does the Higgs get hardly a mention, its significance to the theory is not really well explored at all. Most of what is said about it, near the end of the book, is technical, about its decay products that might be expected from the LHC. And Dark Matter and String theory suddenly make an arbitrary appearance out of the blue, at the end of the book, and are dispensed within just a paragraph or two each.

Frank Close's "The Infinity Puzzle" is a much more enjoyable exposition of the same field, and has much more of genuine interest about Peter Higgs et al and the development and concepts of the Higgs field and particle, and his title doesn't even mention "Higgs"! Having read that I was extremely disappointed to find myself 'hoodwinked' by the title (and the even more misleading subtitle!) of this book. So I would say if you want either a particularly well written book about general particle physics, or some extra detail about the background to Higgs's, then THIS book, unfortunately, is NOT it. A totally superfluous publication, I'm afraid. Spend your money elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much needed, 23 Oct 2012
Thorough explanation (by a physicist who knows his stuff) of a subject that has been covered rather sketchily in the news recently. The book also contains the essential background physics leading up to the experiments at CERN which sadly often doesn't get a mention anymore. Although a weighty subject (certainly for non-scientists) the author has drawn from history and the arts to illuminate the story and add a human interest aspect to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title, 28 Mar 2012
A. D. B. Dix (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
The title of the book, obviously chosen for recent media attention to the LHC search for the Higgs particle, is somewhat misleading. It actually covers a wide range of 20th century physics. It does this quite well, but discussion of Higgs only starts at page 231. Admittedly, prior discussion is required to address the Higgs problem, but perhaps some better title would have indicated the balance of the text between historical background and the contemporary problems and experiments.

4.0 out of 5 stars A longtime getting to the point., 12 Aug 2012
.This book spent most of its time expounding the history of the proposition, experimental investigation and suggestive experimental evidence for this elusive particle yet says little about its properties behaviour and implications for the development of nuclear physics and as such is a waste of time for many of use who have read/studied other books on sub-nuclear particles.

Used & New from: 12.91