4.0 out of 5 stars The Top Gear Years
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was the fourth Jeremy Clarkson book that I have read. The book was interesting and funny at the same time. I liked the way each chapter started with the car of the year and talked about the car throughout the chapter but also included the top five albums and movies of the year. I look forward to reading the next book.
Published 21 months ago by Daniel K

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here!
Like the first reviewer I was expecting a book about his time at Top Gear but sadly a few pages in you get this note "The contents of this book first appeared in Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear magazine column between 1993 and 2011." Very disappointing.
Published 22 months ago by redcarracer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Top Gear Years, 16 Nov 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 12 Nov 2012
MT (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
I hadn't read any of Clarkson's columns before, and found this fantastically entertaining and interesting, really recommend it, great light hearted diversion that's very much appreciated these days!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here!, 30 Sep 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I was Expecting, 25 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
Sad to say, as a Top Gear and Clarkson fan, this book didn't meet my expectations. I thought that all the years of Jeremy making money from having his old Telegraph columns printed as books was over and that we were getting something different this year...and we kind of are, but instead of the Telegraph columns, it's the Top Gear magazine columns. In fact the only newly written thing in it is Jeremy's introduction.

In the description it says 'And all along Jeremy was writing about it all. Here, collected between hard covers for the first time, are the fruits of his labours'. To me, this sounded like Jeremy had actually done like Hammond and actually written about a particular filming shoot or Top Gear live as it was happening. But no, it isn't, and whilst reading some columns from the 90s may be rather interesting, there's very little that makes me 'Ooh'. Some are just about a car themselves and Top Gear doesn't even get mentioned.

I never though I'd rate a Clarkson book so low but as far as I'm concerned, the description is misleading. If you love any column he writes, then you'll be happy with this, but if you wanted a proper in depth book about making the show, no such luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Carkson, 25 July 2013
Oh the shame..he was so against Volvo in those days..and now he sings their praises...then came diesels,,,and he changed his mind...electric cars next? Toyota Prius? At least he admitted these articles may no longer represent his current opinion.
Usual humour with random connections..
First articles so old they were written before his kids arrived.
If only I could get passed the thought that we are paying for recycled material and that they don't represent his truth anymore.
Perhaps the book should be under fiction?
Still enjoyed it though

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Clarkson...., 15 May 2013
Typical Clarkson read, fun, interesting, insightful and (in places!) Bigoted too. Regardless of whether you like him or not (and I do), its a great read, laugh out loud funny in places and a pure escape from daily drudgery. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 9 April 2013
Great read, if you like any other Jeremy Clarkson books, you will enjoy this one just as much. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost got it wrong, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
After reading the blurb and the first reviews here I thought, "I won't buy this. I expected to get some background info on Top Gear, and this isn't it."

Then I downloaded the reading sample to my Kindle when I was down with the flu and needed something that would make me laugh, and that's something Jeremy has always managed to do. And I was not disappointed. On the contrary: This book has helped me get better, because it's such fun to read.

Okay, the blurb's a bit misleading, but if you read the sample and the reviews here, you know what you're going to get. On second thought, I didn't want all that background info on Top Gear anyway, because it might spoil the fun. Have you tried re-watching your favourite TV series from your teens? Way to kill your memories. You see all the stuff you didn't see back then, when ignorance was bliss. Do you really want to KNOW who the Stig is? To me, the question is much more intriguing than the answer.

Like PG Wodehouse's books, Jeremy's columns are great medicine and should be available prescription free. And they are. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars good gift, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
just the gift for someone. anybody who liked top gear will sure love this book. brilliant quality and easy size font to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 5 Dec 2012
Great book, had me gigglying away to myself all the way through. Really enjoy reading Clarkeson, nice to read a book with some of his older work as it is not as pc as his new stuff.

The Top Gear Years
The Top Gear Years by Jeremy Clarkson (Paperback - 23 May 2013)
3.85