5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!
I hadn't read any of Clarkson's columns before, and found this fantastically entertaining and interesting, really recommend it, great light hearted diversion that's very much appreciated these days!
Published on 12 Nov. 2012 by MT

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I was Expecting
Published on 25 Sept. 2012 by Tozzy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 12 Nov. 2012
MT (London, UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I was Expecting, 25 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
Sad to say, as a Top Gear and Clarkson fan, this book didn't meet my expectations. I thought that all the years of Jeremy making money from having his old Telegraph columns printed as books was over and that we were getting something different this year...and we kind of are, but instead of the Telegraph columns, it's the Top Gear magazine columns. In fact the only newly written thing in it is Jeremy's introduction.

In the description it says 'And all along Jeremy was writing about it all. Here, collected between hard covers for the first time, are the fruits of his labours'. To me, this sounded like Jeremy had actually done like Hammond and actually written about a particular filming shoot or Top Gear live as it was happening. But no, it isn't, and whilst reading some columns from the 90s may be rather interesting, there's very little that makes me 'Ooh'. Some are just about a car themselves and Top Gear doesn't even get mentioned.

I never though I'd rate a Clarkson book so low but as far as I'm concerned, the description is misleading. If you love any column he writes, then you'll be happy with this, but if you wanted a proper in depth book about making the show, no such luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new here!, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
Like the first reviewer I was expecting a book about his time at Top Gear but sadly a few pages in you get this note "The contents of this book first appeared in Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear magazine column between 1993 and 2011." Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost got it wrong, 6 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
After reading the blurb and the first reviews here I thought, "I won't buy this. I expected to get some background info on Top Gear, and this isn't it."

Then I downloaded the reading sample to my Kindle when I was down with the flu and needed something that would make me laugh, and that's something Jeremy has always managed to do. And I was not disappointed. On the contrary: This book has helped me get better, because it's such fun to read.

Okay, the blurb's a bit misleading, but if you read the sample and the reviews here, you know what you're going to get. On second thought, I didn't want all that background info on Top Gear anyway, because it might spoil the fun. Have you tried re-watching your favourite TV series from your teens? Way to kill your memories. You see all the stuff you didn't see back then, when ignorance was bliss. Do you really want to KNOW who the Stig is? To me, the question is much more intriguing than the answer.

Like PG Wodehouse's books, Jeremy's columns are great medicine and should be available prescription free. And they are. Thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Top Gear Years, 16 Nov. 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was the fourth Jeremy Clarkson book that I have read. The book was interesting and funny at the same time. I liked the way each chapter started with the car of the year and talked about the car throughout the chapter but also included the top five albums and movies of the year. I look forward to reading the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Typical Carkson, 25 July 2013
Oh the shame..he was so against Volvo in those days..and now he sings their praises...then came diesels,,,and he changed his mind...electric cars next? Toyota Prius? At least he admitted these articles may no longer represent his current opinion.
Usual humour with random connections..
First articles so old they were written before his kids arrived.
If only I could get passed the thought that we are paying for recycled material and that they don't represent his truth anymore.
Perhaps the book should be under fiction?
Still enjoyed it though

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be so quick to judge, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Top Gear Years (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson, so when I read people accusing him of money grabbing by re-selling all of his articles in book form put a bad taste in my mouth. It is true that the only part of the book that contains new material is the introduction, where Jeremy states himself "One day, I may write an autobiography. But this isn't it." This so called flaw in Clarkson's book only applies to you if, a) you own every issue of Top Gear Magazine from 1993 where Jeremy has written a column or b) you're Rain Man and can memorize anything you read which would make owning this book redundant.
Now that I've cleared that up, I'll go on to write what my opinions are on the book. I love it. You could put it down to my highly biased opinion on Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson that makes me look past the grumbles and moans that his book is recycled material, but I don't care. It's a great novelty to have his articles in one book that you can carry around with you, read with caution however, as you will be smiling and laughing at his comical and witty experiences and anecdotes.
If you know Jeremy Clarkson you'll have a pretty good idea on what the chapters are about. Complaining, criticizing his co-workers Richard Hammond and James May, and finding solutions to his own complaints. In one instance, he solves Britain's drink diving problem by introducing a `green light system' where a person who has been drinking is allowed to drive home providing they place a green flashing light on the roof of their car, to warn others they are intoxicated.
A great attribute of the book are the pages that separates the years of his columns. They're accompanied by the car of the year, top 5 singles and top 5 movie releases for that year.
This book is a must have for any Clarkson or Top Gear fan, and with the book not solely based on cars, it makes as a great gift for anyone who enjoys a combination of wit, stupidity and controversial opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Clarkson...., 15 May 2013
Typical Clarkson read, fun, interesting, insightful and (in places!) Bigoted too. Regardless of whether you like him or not (and I do), its a great read, laugh out loud funny in places and a pure escape from daily drudgery. Fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 9 April 2013
Great read, if you like any other Jeremy Clarkson books, you will enjoy this one just as much. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 5 Dec. 2012
Great book, had me gigglying away to myself all the way through. Really enjoy reading Clarkeson, nice to read a book with some of his older work as it is not as pc as his new stuff.

The Top Gear Years
The Top Gear Years by Jeremy Clarkson (Paperback - 23 May 2013)