Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 November 2012
Monk, Devon: Allie Beckstrom - Magic for a Price (2012)

25/11/2012

Devon Monk does it again. She has created another read-through book about the world of Allie Beckstrom. That woman simply has the gift. I do not often get to read two novels in a row where the author so clearly has the ability to bring me into the story. Lucky is what I am.

In this final novel of the Allie Beckstrom series Monk gives us a conclusion that makes sense and draws any loose threads together that might be out there. Perhaps it is Beckstrom's willingness to pay the price for her actions that makes her so appealing. Or it could be her side-kicks Zay and Shame (and in later books Terric). These there are a wonderful complement to Allie's character.

Leander and Isabelle are coming to Portland to close the whole magical community down. Along, she is bringing Authority from several other cities. To put it mildly, Portland is in need to a plan that might give them a chance against the Overseer. That is Allie's job, figuring something out that will keep as many as possible alive and well.

This is where Monk shows her gift. She brings out the desperation and hope in novel in a manner that brings me as a reader into the stream of her words. I go willingly and joyfully into this tale of adventure wondering where the author is going to take me. As usual, I cheat by reading the last few pages early on. I know, annoying habit. For me, this is something that whets my appetite.

I hope you enjoy this final installment in the Allie Beckstrom adventure as much as I have.
on 2 December 2012
This is the last book in the series *crying* and I get so wary about last books as more often than not they don't live up to those books that came before them. I am so pleased that this was not the case. Magic For A Price was a perfect last book.

Over the eight previous books we have seen Allie use magic and get used by magic, make friends and loose friends and fight to save Portland and keep magic pure. Allie has had ups and downs and there have been many questions raised that I hoped...no, that I needed answered in this last book. We have been introduced to great characters such as Shame *swoon*, Terric and Allie's lover Zayvion and let us not forget her father Daniel Beckstrom.

It is so difficult to review this book without giving away any spoilers, however I will say that fans will not be disappointed. If you haven't read this series I urge you to do so. This is a must read for those of you who like Urban Fantasy but you do need to read the books in order. Ms Monk than you so much for bringing these books into the world and I have just found out that there will be a spin off series with Shame and Terric *woohoo* I cannot wait. Allie Beckstrom it has been a blast and I am going to give Magic For A Price 5 stars.
on 18 November 2012
For an over 50 SiFi/Fantasy buff. I thought there was little left for me with all the aliens, avatars and anime. Devon Monk me believe and like Fox Mulder, I WANT TO BELIEVE. I believe so much so, that this, her 9th book in this series, is as fantastic as the first! Put down that knitting Devon and write faster!!!
on 7 February 2013
I liked this book. It wrapped up the series well and actually answered the many questions that Monk had posed throughout the previous eight books.

I still find Allie one of the least likeable of the characters, but Terric and Shame are great. It was nice to find out more about Allie's dad too.
on 9 August 2013
this whole 9 book series about magic users is fantastic. never have i read a series of books before that have you gripped from start to finish. have enjoyed the whole experience of Allie and her friends battling evil. well done Devon Monk for conceiving such a tale. thank you.
on 25 August 2013
Really enjoyed this series. Thank you so much Devon Monk for allowing the series to end with dignity and not dragging it on for too many books which would just dilute the whole series (Charlaine Harris, take note). The ending was absolutely perfect.
on 11 December 2012
I was keen for this final installment to see what had happened...this series is so different and well written...but I would love to know what happens next...is it happy ever after...or not
Would definately recomend it to supernatural lovers
on 22 April 2014
I read the ending feeling lost at what to read now, this is a brilliant series and this concludes very well too. Loved every book in this series and would highly recommend :)
on 17 December 2012
All nine books have been most enjoyable.
Very powerful, good stories with excellent strong characters.
Something different to get your teeth into!
on 12 February 2013
Very enjoyable read, liked enough to want to read the whole series and hope that Allie Bekstrom returns for further adventures in the future