Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 May 2011
I am a great fan of Sue Townsend and this I have to say is one of her best, I
was constantly laughing at the mishaps the main character was getting into with other
characters,out of all her books this is a must !!!!, hope sue writes more, well done
on 11 January 2012
Just managed to get a copy of this as it is one of the two books by Sue Townsend that I had not read. It is brilliant, funny and satirical with a touch of madness thrown in for good measure as you expect from herself.
One of the things that struck me most was the description of being a rough sleeper, thought provoking in a simple yet evocative way. The other is this was first published in 1988 in Thatcherite Britain and yet it could have been written at any time during the past 23 years. Which is pretty crazy really, that various social problems have not disappeared even if the streets in most of our towns and cities are now paved with cappuccino.
The best thing about Sue Townsend in all the books I have read is she cuts to the quick with such wit and humour and a sense of humanity she is one of my favourite authors of all time & should I ever get an invite to be on Desert Island discs would choose a Townsend complete works every time. Really looking forward to the new book out in March.
on 10 November 2005
Coventry is a housewife with 2 teenage kids and an unemotional husband. Her unusual name is down to her father who was in Coventry when she was born. Coventry is coasting along in her humdrum existence when she witnesses a neighbour strangling his wife. She goes to the rescue, but the neighbour dies in the process. Coventry then goes on the run, and we follow her journey to London where her life is turned upside-down.
A brilliant, concise novel that'll make you nostaligic for the pre-chicklit days when books by female authors actually had substance.
on 16 September 2013
I've always like Sue Townsend writing, after reading "the woman who went to bed for a year". I new I had to read this as well. I loved it the character are so funny and in some way true to life. This story tells you how one event can make or break you. Coventry wont be broken even when they odds are against her.
on 6 February 2013
I am looking forward to reading this book, and will update my review once I've read it - but I'd like to ask how come there are already 5 reviews - the earliest seeming to date from 2005 - when it says that the book was only available on the market from 31st January 2013????

Well, I've read it - and to be honest it was a bit dated and I wish I'd got a second hand copy - not as politically relevant as the Woman who went to Bed for a Year. I suspected from the start about the Barbie doll - and all the men (apart from Mr Slob the coroner (I found that situation very funny - but a bit unbelievable too now) - and the tortoise fiend who is perhaps a forerunner of the astronomer in that at least he has some kind of divergent interest) - all the men seem either out for sex or drink or both.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2013
The book has an interesting scenario but actually is rather slow and not particularly funny. While I enjoyed reading it I don't think I would have bought it if I'd known how it would read.
on 12 August 2013
This book was enjoyable and written with the same flair and humour from occasionally bizarre workaday characters that you should expect from Sue Townsend. However, it suffers from the same weaknesses as any book of hers where the ending is always clever but a tad unsatisfying, particularly with the kindle edition. It tells you that you still have a sizeable chunk of the book left but this turns out to be a sample of 'The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year'.

Read it for the excellent satire we've come to expect from Townsend and the insight into the human condition she so expertly lampoons.
One of Townsend's earlier works, published in 1988, and very of its time. I found it simplistic in many ways, and prefer her later works a great deal more, but there are still touches of Townsend genius here, and that dark, dark core which makes her comedy all the better, diffusing some of the sentimentality and sharpening up the sweetness. I think it would make a fascinating book to read in tandem with The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year, and I can see echoes of one in the other.
on 11 March 2013
Early book by the much loved Sue townsend, short on length but big on humour!
though it was about a city but coventry is a girl, a poor house wife , in a urban jungle, blond beautiful , big busted, she decides to knock off her terrible womaniser , neighbour., and what ensues is a great journey of discovery as she runs away from the law, meeting new people and having a few adventures along the way! sorry when it ended! would love for another sequel to it!
on 12 January 2016
I'm not sure about Sue Townsend novels at the moment and this one is not much better. Coventry Dakin murders her neighbours abusive husband and goes on the run. It is dubbed to be a satire on modern life, maybe its not my type of humour, but apart from an odd smile, it didn't have me laughing along with it.