4.0 out of 5 stars A Book of 2 halves......
I so nearly gave up on this book. I only finished it because his "easy way to stop smoking" had helped me enormously. This gave me enough faith in the man to continue.
The first half of the book reminded me of a pincushion. Lots of points. Many sharp. But all very well cushioned! Many of his points were valid, but his logic had huge gaps in places. The first half of...
Published on 17 Jan 2003 by J P FLETCHER

3.0 out of 5 stars An old story told in a new way.
I'm in two minds about this book. On the one hand, I agree with a lot of what Allen is saying. Some of his arguments are very persuasive - if a little simplistic. On the other hand, the message in the book boils down to the same as almost every other weight loss method - eat more fruit and veg (mainly fruit), and take more exercise. Dress it up however you want, but...
Published on 11 Sep 2003 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your time or money, 31 Jan 2012
If you want to be a vegetarian, this is the book for you. I have killed my own food and would again. This nearly sent me back to smoking!!!
Sadly his logic only applies if you think cigarettes equate to meat. If you do, you are already a vegetarian and you don't need the book.
Waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars A load of repititious waffle, 31 Jan 2012
Malkyp (Northants, England) - See all my reviews
I guess this must work for some people but I found it boring with a great deal of padding. It's back to weight watchers for me because I know that it works!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't waste your money., 30 July 2010
I bought this book as Allen Carr's book on giving up smoking was so fantastic. As a smoker of 20 a day, for 20 years, to be able to say after reading this book I gave up, just like that is an under statement. So chuffed. However.....
....I thought I'd try this book to loose the weight I have gained through giving up smoking and since starting my degree and stopping my exercise regime. I was so disappointed, basically you are advised that if you have to cook it, you should avoid it. The next piece of advice is to only eat food in its natural state. Get real, I can't live on fruit and nuts, as suggested. Please don't waste your money. I did!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Open your Mind, 6 Jun 2005
I really liked this book, I think you really HAVE to open your mind (as the author asks you to several times in the book) and think about your body and how it works in relation to food.
He used the car and other seemingly odd (at least to some but not to me) examples so that the reader can relate to his theory more easily. Remember he said open your mind.... obviously after reading some of these reviews some didn't get that part and without it, well.... you just don't get it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Still reading. Lots of interesting facts. Makes sense and makes you think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too offensive for you- you didn't keep an open mind then?, 15 July 2000
By A Customer
If have read the easy way to stop smoking. I have stopped, but I was not too convinced of Allen Carr as a person. Now I know and now I am totally convinced that he's got it right. I have read this book to lose maybe a stone and I am pretty sure I will within the next 3 to 4 months. I have been a Vegetarian for over 10 years and most of his "revelations" in this book are no news to me. For me it was nice to get some support in what I have been thinking for a long time anyway. Changing your eating patterns is a long term process and therefore the book cannot and does not claim to be a quick fix (The non smoking book IS a quick fix!). I can also understand why non-vegetarians and fat people who eat unhealthily feel very aggressive when they read this book. One of Allen's instructions is "keep an open mind" - not an easy thing to do for a convinced meateater. I feel truly sorry for everybody who misses the point of this lecture. However, I think one book is just not enough to change people in this respect. Giving up smoking seems almost too easy compared to becoming a Vegetarian or at least starting to think like a Vegetarian. I understand why people go off their trolley when they read this. They are just not ready for it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight (Paperback)
I am very pleased with this good read,

1.0 out of 5 stars This Book Seriously Stinks, 8 Aug 2006
Candypantz (NY, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book is terrible!! Its premise is that you can lose weight without dieting; Rather, by changing your perspective on food and what you eat. It uses NLP techniques to drill it's message home. Fine. It explains why over eating is like filling up a gas tank every week, regardless of the gas level in the car. Great. Then, it goes on to compare meat to putrid, rotting flesh and how we weren't meant to consume it. Wait a minute. And by the way, if you think you're okay by getting your protein from dairy or soy products, think again. Processed foods and dairy are Satan. And yes, you guessed it, sugar is slow suicide. Okay, well maybe I exaggerated about satan and sugar, but, basically, that's where the book directs your mind to take you. I think that is absolute crap! I would like to know where to get my protein from, and what to do when my blood sugar level spikes at 10:00 am after eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast? Personally, I'd rather implement a diet, or have a guideline of healthy food options to help me lose weight than read this brainwashy book that fails to give me realistic, healthy food choices, and considers eating a piece of chocolate to be as healthy as eating a turd! No thank you. Mr. Carr's methods may work for quitting smoking, but some people believe human beings actually need protein, and that chocolate, in small quantities can be a wonderful thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes sense, 5 July 2013
This book makes sense and makes you consider what you are eating. Essentially it isn't rocket science. Found it very repetitive - repeating same phrases again and again which was annoying. Some questionable statements regarding human digestion, however in the whole the message gets through and you need to adapt for your own requirements - i.e. not everyone wants to turn vegetarian.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 28 Jun 2013
Fantastic book, theory seems too good to be true, so willing to give it a go and I started NOW! I'm only 1.5 stone away from my ideal but have tried for years to loose it, Here's to hoping my ideal weight is round the corner

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 | Next ›

Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight
Allen Carr's Easyweigh to Lose Weight by Allen Carr (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)