Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2011
This book makes sense! I'm half way through and it's starting to change my eating habbits already. My husband used is stop smoking one and STOPPED SMOKING on the last page! Hope the same happens with my poor eating habbits!
on 15 April 2002
Do not read this book if you think that a magic wand will be waved and you will lose weight without any effort. Unlike Weight Watchers, Alan Carr tells you that you will feel hungry (and of course, you do!) but that your hunger means that you will really enjoy your meal when you do eat (this is also true). I have learnt to really think about whether I am hungry before I eat and to stop when I am full. I feel healthier, have lost weight and still enjoy decent meals (with alcohol). Instead of thinking about what to eat all the time (and counting points - Weight Watchers), I know what I am going to eat because I am eating the foods I like without the guilt. No one said losing weight was easy (least of all, Alan Carr) but at least with Alan Carr I had the feeling that he understood where I had got all my bad habits from and that it was not my fault. To me, it was good common sense.
on 17 February 2008
...although if bacteria won't touch tinned food, why should you? The man had the gift of cutting through the industry c**p; he showed the way with smoking and here he explains why you are eating the way you are, highlighting what you actually already know but won't admit to. That's not to say this is painful to read; on the contrary, it is easy (suppose it would be, really)and you find yourself on the path without knowing your feet are moving. That's the strange thing... I'm now a non-smoking teetotal vegan without ever really trying to be. Good job he never wrote 'Mein Kampf - the easyway!' Do I need Allen Carr in all areas of my life? Not to worry - I've got Allen Carr's 'No More Worries' on order.
44 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2012
I tried to get through "Lose Weight" but found it amateurish and badly written. However, I came across a much better and more abbreviated version in Allan Carr's "Lose weight Now" ISBN: 978-1-84837-720-2.
If you can overlook some of the unscientific statements and get to the later chapters (the book is quite short), Allan Carr has a startling theory which is worth pursuing. Personally,I have no intention of giving up milk, though I have cut down on the quantity. I am not a vegetarian, but have happily kept mostly to the foods that he recommends. After a number of false starts, the weight is falling off me. Yes, it's certainly worth following this method of eating
Well! Mr Carr has done it again for me. I gave up smoking just like that and don't even think about smoking anymore. Could his book on dieting work?? Well I had to try. I have to admit that I had to persevere to get to the end, and some parts I just thought were silly. But something registered. I almost sub conciously changed my eating habits and have discovered a love of foods that I did not know existed! Add to that an increase in energy and well being with the weight that is literally falling off me I felt compelled to write about it. My advice is therefore, read with an open mind, reserve your judgement. And maybe then you will enjoy some success and benefits that this book can bring to your life. Way to go Allen!
on 20 June 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It has made me think a lot more about what I eat and in fact, has encouraged me to become vegetarian, which I am really shocked about! However, I am looking forward to the challenge and have just ordered a load of veggie cookbooks! This book makes me think of a condensed version of the Optimum Nutrition Bible without all the scientific, biological jargon, although I really enjoyed the Optimum Nutrition Bible, this book reminded me of all the principles and has got me back into it. I love the way Allen Carr writes but guess it isn't for everyone. I have also stopped smoking from using one of his books. He's a very inspiring writer.
on 11 September 2003
I'm in two minds about this book. On the one hand, I agree with a lot of what Allen is saying. Some of his arguments are very persuasive - if a little simplistic. On the other hand, the message in the book boils down to the same as almost every other weight loss method - eat more fruit and veg (mainly fruit), and take more exercise. Dress it up however you want, but that's the long and the short of it!
What Allen does is try to make you listen to your body, which, apparently, wants to eat fruit above all else. The book is definately worth reading. I read it in a day and I am glad I read it. I am eating a lot more fruit since reading it and am really enjoying it. But as for an 'Easy' way to lose weight, I think that's a bit too optimistic!
on 11 November 2003
After sucessfully stopping my alcohol comsumption the Allen Carr way, I have just completed the lose weight book in the Allen Carr series. Well all I can say is that is has really worked for me. Although the results canot be immediate as stopping smoking or drinking, I feel that I will never be overweight again once I reach my required weight. He just gives you the plain facts, and answers the questions you are bound to ask. He tells us why dieting can never work in just 2 pages. The reasons cannot be argued with or contested. I am for the first time in years actually looking forward to the next few months to see the change I require. Go and read this book.
on 15 March 2014
I actually bought this as an audio book from elsewhere (sorry Amazon!). I have also bought Allen's control your drinking audio book. I am not and never have been an alcoholic but on many occasions have binged on alcohol. I have listened to three quarters of the control your drinking book and already have no desire whatsoever to drink alcohol again in any capacity. Impressive huh! And on the back of that I decided to give his Easyweigh to Lose Weight a try.

I am almost at the end of the Easyweigh audio book I have found that avoiding junk foods is becoming much easier. I have been a vegetarian for 28 years but have struggled with diets for almost as long. Like most people in this position I have tried every new diet on the market, every old and new diet book and lots of 'lose weight' hypnotherapy CDs. I have had some success, only to put the weight back on again at a later date. As we know, a restrictive diet cannot last and we have to make sensible lifestyle changes if we ever want to keep the weight off. This, and I am sure you will agree, can be incredibly difficult.

Allen Carr does stress that a vegetarian diet is better, so this may be difficult for meat eaters to come to terms with, in fact it may be off putting altogether. But please persist because I think that getting rid of the JUNK in your diet is the most important part of his message.

In Allen's book about alcohol, he dissects and crushes the beliefs that drinking is pleasurable, sociable and can be controlled by willpower. He does exactly the same thing here with junk food, for example how we are made to think sweets, cakes etc are 'treats'. They are not treats, they are actually very bad for us (as I am sure you know). And trying to resist them using willpower only results in a binge at a later time (well it does for me anyway).

Allen shows us how natural foods are beneficial and why junk food does not do us any favours. Don't worry, there is room for some treats/junk but just not as much as usual. Obviously he does go into much more detail but I will let you discover that for yourself.

Is this working for me? Well for a whole week now I have wanted to eat much more fruit and vegetables and I have hardly snacked at all. I have embraced a little bit of hunger and enjoyed my food more. I haven't felt deprived (a big factor for anyone who has ever dieted before). I resisted buying Creme Eggs today...nothing short of a miracle for me. I just thought, "I will have one at a later date but not just now" and I saw them as junk and of no nutritional value.

I honestly do feel 'freer' and not drawn magnet-fashion to the crisps/cakes/sweets isle of the supermarket, and this is all without any effort at all. Long may it continue. I haven't weighed myself as yet but I am sure my weight will go down if I continue in this way. I also have more energy and feel more alert.

I have eaten some foods with an 'ingredients list' (not wholly natural foods) but the majority of my diet has been veg/fruit/nuts and some goats milk/cheese/butter. I do have a lot of food allergies, but still manage to find a lot of suitable foods to eat.

I will listen to the book again to reinforce the message. I personally think Allen was a genius. My partner was an alcoholic for 25 years and stopped drinking after reading Allen's Control Alcohol book.

I will try to give a progress update later. I hope you enjoy Allen's work as much as I am enjoying it, it has become a really positive and useful part of my life :)
on 15 August 2013
Ok there is probably nothing new about this diet/ lifestyle. This book implores a vegetarian, vegan, plant based diet. But don't let that scare you. Allen Carr's books have helped millions quit smoking. His method understands addiction. But food is necessary for survival unlike alcohol or tobacco you may say. Yes unprocessed natural food is what you need to fuel your body. End of story. Agriculture and industry is the issue.
Bla bla, Heard it all before. It is easy to lose weight, you eat less crap and move more. Its as simple as that. Yet some of us are inherently bad at making good food choices and getting exercise. We convenience ourselves with fast foods and liposuction, as society brain-washes us so. There is no quick solution to nutrition and good health. It takes time and effort to succeed in the long run.
This is a great read along with 'Forks over Knives' and 'Super Size Me' documentary films. Read it and make your own decision, I think you'll keep this book