5.0 out of 5 stars This book did not help my quit...
Published 8 months ago by Jay

2.0 out of 5 stars Mindset
You need to be already in a mindset that your not going to smoke.

Half way through the book smoking made me feel honestly sick, I tried day 1 no smoking, full of enthusiasm, managed less than 24hrs.
( I usually smoke 10 a day.)

I am quite upset that i failed as it has worked for so many other people, I'm not sure if I tried to read it too fast...
Published 15 months ago by StaceyB:)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book did not help my quit..., 23 Nov 2013
Jay "BabyB" (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life (Paperback)
I was a 20-30 per day smoker for 11 years and I hated every puff, I also hated that I was willing to go hungry or beg strangers to get a cigarette. What's more not only did smoking make me ill but it was killing me; I suffered a severe chest infection that nearly killed me at 20, and I suffered multiple strokes in my teens as a result of being both a smoker and taking hormonal birth control pills. In my time trying to quit smoking I had tried every tip and trick to cut down or quit cold-turkey, I had tried nicotine replacement therapy, e-cigarettes, support groups, drugs like Zyban, but nothing worked more than three months...and those three months were a constant battle not to buy a pack of cigarettes, depriving myself of something I didn't even want, eating like a pig to keep my mouth busy, sleeping-in to avoid hour of torment without a smoke, and snapping at everyone.

I came across Easyway on a forum amongst a sea of positive reviews, I immediately thought 'this is going to be the magic ticket!' and bought a new copy of the book straight away. I got the book within a few days, initially I tried to put off reading the book - I'm not a huge reader, and I guess I was scared of giving-up smoking - I would read a few pages then decide I was bored, or I'd find myself sitting arguing with the book...sure I knew smoking was bad but it calmed me down, I need it to socialise, to break the boredom at work, to take a break between drinks on a night out, to use as a means of self-defense when walking alone at night...it took me a few weeks to finish the book. I agreed with everything that the book said and so I stopped smoking...

I managed three months before I broke-down and asked a work colleague for a cigarette, it had been a little easier than on previous attempts to quit, but it was still me trying to use willpower to fight the addiction - I wasn't using the method correctly! I knew the method worked, it made too much sense for it not to work! Over the following year I continued to smoke but at the same time suggested this book to friends; FIVE people quit smoking with this book after I recommended it to them, why not me?! I didn't follow the method correctly, chances are it was because I'm not a big fan of reading and just found myself sitting arguing with the book was why it didn't work for me. I tried re-reading the book and getting a PC disk with software guiding you through the course, I knew was missing something but at the same time I knew I was on the right track!

I signed up for an Easyway Clinic, it was expensive however it was about the cost of two months worth of cigarettes and they offered a full money back guarantee so I had nothing to lose. The clinic took two hours, they went through exactly what they did in the book and I was able to argue back with the advisor...the thing is he didn't say anything I didn't already know myself, I felt like he hadn't really given me anything new at all. During the whole clinic you were still allowed to smoke, we had regular cigarette breaks and we happily chain-smoked every 30 minutes. At the end of the clinic we were asked to throw our cigarettes into a bin bag, I did so knowing fine well that I was just going to buy more on my way home...

...I never bought another pack of cigarettes.

I've been a non-smoker for 7 years now and I have never once wanted to smoke again; no cravings, no withdrawal, no moodiness, no depriving myself, no struggle with willpower or replacing cigarettes with food or some other distraction for my mouth or hands. It's not that I'm an ex-smoker either, it's like I was never a smoker to begin with. I look at people smoking and I am completely baffled by it, I just can't get my head around the idea of lighting up a cigarette and putting it in my mouth to suck on. The whole idea of smoking seems so foreign to me now, I just can't remember how to smoke or why I'd even want to. It drives me insane seeing smokers going through hell trying to quit with willpower methods, when I know this method is so easy!

Not meaning to break any illusions here, but Easyway works by tackling the mental addiction - if you don't want to quit and if you don't follow this method then it won't work. I can assure you those who give this book a bad review have found it hasn't worked because they haven't followed the method, I see them saying; it's just saying what you know already, it just keeps repeating the same thing, it just keeps talking about the method but never explains the method, smoking is a chemical addiction so this book won't help you - trust me when I say these people have missed the entire point of the book.

I can honestly say this book saved my life, and gave me back my freedom, I really can't express how much I appreciate and love Allen Carr for what he has done. I'll even let you in on a secret, when I have spare cash I buy copies of this book and leave it in doctors offices. PLEASE I beg you buy this book, or even try the clinic. THIS METHOD WORKS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please just read it, 1 Aug 2012
I started smoking at 15 behind the bike sheds at school - at the time I thought is was cool.

I am now 46 and apart from a few failed tries at stopping, have smoked around 20 a day since.

I have a little boy 3, and a little girl of 6. When they ask you to stop smoking because they don't want you to die you need to listen.

After reading this book, I stopped smoking and know I will not start again. It was by far the easiest and least difficult of all my attempts to stop smoking.

Being generally a bit cynical about 'self help books', and seeing some reviews from people who are 'too intelligent' and see through the techniques used, or criticise the writing style, I say the following:

1). This book has helped large numbers of people to stop smoking.

2). It costs around the same as one packet of cigarettes.

3). Reading it could save you life.

The greatest gift that I could wish for is to see my two small children grow into adulthood, perhaps get married and have children of their own. I now have a much better chance of seeing those things.

Dress it up how you like, it really is as simple as that.

Just for once take the advice of a perfect stranger, one with no axe to grind, who wishes someone had pointed them in this direction years ago.

You have virtually nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Please try this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kick the habit: It's easy when you know how, 31 Dec 2010
Whatever doubts people may have had about the ban on smoking in pubic houses before it was introduced we must surely all admit that as a policy it has been a great success. Sales of cigarettes show a marked decline. Public houses are still with us but with the bonus of a healthy environment for the bar staff and customers thrown in.

Many will have given up smoking as a result of the ban and I am one of them. However, I must admit I needed a little additional help besides being outlawed. The assistance I received came in the form of that great anti-smoking guru Allen Carr of `The Easy Way to Stop Smoking' fame. He died of lung cancer but not before writing one of the best books on breaking the nicotine habit ever penned. Unfortunately he stopped too late to save his own life though he maintained that he did prolong it considerably by giving up when he did. In his book Carr relates how, when he was smoking 100-a-day, he took a cigarette out of the packet to light it up only to burn the back of his hand on the one already in his mouth. The cigarette he was smoking was having zero effect on his craving, so tolerant had his body become of nicotine after years of smoking, and had therefore gone unnoticed by his brain.

Carr pointed out that nicotine is the most addictive drug there is but oddly enough manifests the least `cold turkey' symptoms when the addicted body is physically deprived of it. So mild are those symptoms in fact that in the end Carr theorises that kicking the smoking habit is 99.99 per cent psychological. Carr describes how cigarettes work their spell. The smoker, restless, strangely agitated, unable to concentrate, lights up a cigarette and suddenly feels those symptoms alleviated. He or she associates the cigarette with the relief of these symptoms when, in reality, the symptoms were themselves a product of the smoker's addiction to and craving for nicotine in the first place. The cigarette is not the little helper we think it is but the actual cause of the reason we want one. Of course this vicious circle is rationalised by the human mind with a load of self-deluding nonsense such as `I enjoy smoking' or `they help me concentrate'.

Carr postulates that nobody ever really gives up smoking through will power. Psychologically, even if they never smoke again, the stubborn still remain dependent and whilst a few will put themselves through this torture and succeed most will fail. At the same time they will have been robbed by cigarettes of a little of their self-esteem. What Carr is saying is that the attitude that you are giving something up is completely wrong. You are only gaining by stopping smoking. You are breaking an expensive, unhealthy, smelly, pointless habit which you will never have to indulge again. Anybody trying to stop who says `I don't want to be like one of those ex-smokers who now can't stand anybody else smoking' is heading for a fall because that is precisely the attitude you need to succeed. I only finally gave up when I discovered, through reading Carr, how cigarettes work and eventually through that knowledge how much I hated them. Imagine someone going around deliberately stubbing their toes on rocks just so they could enjoy the pleasure of feeling better when the pain subsides. That was me and that is the insidious way cigarettes work. Better not to have the pain in the first place. In the end, for me, it wasn't simply health, finance or hygiene issues that made me stop but the fact that I was sick of constantly planning my life around cigarettes. I was always wondering if I had enough to get through the day, where the nearest shop or cash machine was if I needed to get some more, where I could indulge my habit without annoying others, if there was an ash tray in the house. I was always patting down my pockets looking for cigarettes or a light and descending into near panic if I couldn't find one or the other.

Of course, some people give up with incredible ease having decided one day that they have had enough. Many of these people will succeed but many, especially those who have not thought it through, will lapse back into the habit. Because giving up proved so easy for them they think to themselves `well if it is that easy it won't hurt to just have one and then carry on being a non-smoker'. Fatal! As we have said nicotine is the most addictive drug on the planet and it only takes one to get hooked. Unfortunately cigarettes taste so disgusting if you haven't had one for a while (think about how hard you had to work to get addicted in the first place) that the person having the sneaky fag will believe that it is impossible for him or her to ever get addicted to these `disgusting' things again. But that is just another of tobacco's dirty tricks and the nicotine worm is already burrowing away. Before you know it you are back on 20-a-day.

Remember, when you stop smoking you are not giving up anything pleasurable but a drug whose only benefit is to allay the symptoms it caused in the first place. Smoking feels like pleasure but so does the relief of any kind of pain. Better to not have the pain in the first place like the rest of the population. The easy way to stop smoking is to first understand and then to start hating cigarettes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 11 Mar 2013
I call this "the magic book". I was really skeptical at first, I thought "how could a book possibly help with stopping smoking?" but it did! I'm six months free and clear now and not a day goes by that I'm not delighted about it.

He says you'll not only find it easy, you'll enjoy it. I thought this notion was utterly ridiculous but guess what - it's true. I've loved it. No cravings, no misery. It seems like a miracle, but when you read the book you understand why it's so simple.

I've started buying copies to give to my friends. I couldn't recommend this book more. It should be given out on prescription.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Hall, 10 Feb 2014
Wow! 28 years of smoking, countless failed attempts and now I'm over the moon and proud to say I'm a non smoker! What a truly fantastic book, what a truly fantastic man. I Thank you Allen Carr for making it your goal to finding an EASY WAY to free us from smoking. I truly feel free, no longer a slave to the poisonous weed. I shall recommend your book to all those I know still in the trap and totally miserable from failed attempts to stop. I never thought I would be free from smoking but I am and so happy with it, enjoying life to the full with no withdrawal pangs at all. YIPPIE I'M A NON SMOKER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what it says on the label. Easy!, 4 Feb 2014
Gets behind the thought processes of smoking, and shows you how easy it is.
Forget all that preaching about how bad it is for you. That is not the point.
Forget all that rubbish (sponsored by the drug companies) of nicotine replacement, or patched or gum. They just don't work.
But this book does. The next day after having stopped i was with smokers, surrounded by smoke, and I didn't even have a craving!
In 7 years since I stopped I have only had one cigarette in a very emotional moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, but it's true!, 15 Jan 2014
Mr. T. Silkauskas (Spain) - See all my reviews
I'm so happy!!! I'm free! It's only been couple of weeks, but I already know that I never take another cigaret I my life. Keep your mind open, try to take in on what's been said and you stop smoking, not only that, you'll enjoy the process. Umbealevabile, but it's true!

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate to say it, but it works., 12 Jan 2014
I was quite impressed with the content of this book. Before I start on the good points I must stress that it is an awfully written book, that at times, is a battle to read. The writing style is irritating and he feels the need to put lots of words in capitals to stress them rather than using vocabulary.
However, the actual content is very good.
The book offers rational thinking to help you to overcome the conditioning that have been pressed upon you. One by one, all the reasons you smoke are dismantled in front of you and with a little thought you begin to see that you don't actually enjoy smoking. And more importantly it's not as hard as you think to quit.

I tried to stop smoking numerous times before reading this book. Some ventures lasted months, others lasted hours. I'm not a fan of self-help books, hypnosis or motivational talks by any means at all. I was very skeptical. But after reading this 2 years ago I haven't smoked since. When you quit with the existing needs of smoking still hard-wired then it is a massive challenge. But if you consciously remove the want/need to smoke before you quit then it isn't as bad as you think it will be.

It works, it really does. I read a chapter a day until I finished it and that was that. I also don't normally review things on amazon but I felt for this, I should. O and the dropped star is because the writing was pretty poor.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's been emotional, 30 Dec 2013
I read this book in 2009 and didn't quit. As the author himself states, not following his instructions as they are printed is likely to result in failure. I skipped chapters and ignored certain instructions (including trying to stop before the "Final Cigarette" chapter and using NRT out of my belief that I wouldn't be able to do it without). The main principle of the book is to create an awareness about the physical withdrawal symptoms and the psychological withdrawal symptoms, which I now understand to be the main problem. Thankfully, you don't get bombarded with the health risks & obvious reasons to quit. The author will not insult your intelligence, but get to the heart of your own personal addiction to nicotine & provided you do read the whole thing & follow the instructions, you will gain the confidence to stop completely, kill the "nicotine monster" (it helps to think of "him" as a separate entity), and enjoy your "inevitable victory".

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, 20 Nov 2013
You don't believe that reading a book can stop you smoking especially after 18 years of being a smoker!! But it did, you don't actually stop smoking until you have finished the book but by the time I read that last paragraph I knew I would never smoke again. BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT!!