Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 July 2012
This is the third in the Alex Craft series, and so far I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of the books. I particularly like the setting, which is a vividly imagined place populated by witches, Fae and mysterious Collectors amongst others. The heroine, Alex Craft is a Grave Witch who can raise shades of the dead and see ghosts. This makes her well placed in "Grave Memory" to investigate a series of mysterious supposed suicides. Along the way she finds out more about her heritage and gets closer to Death (a lot closer!)

I can't wait for the next one!
The third book in the Alex Craft series didn't disapoint.
The plot is intricate and fairly complicated, which I found intriguing. Alex finds herself in a precarious position, her job in jeopardy, her friends are taking a step back, she has a Fae Queen harassing her and let's not forget the usual soul stealing or body snatching suspects she has to catch.
I find it interesting how Alex becomes quite an underdog as a human and yet when faced with a supernatural monster she fights like a warrior.
I think the author will have to be careful not to get overly comfortable with certain scenarios lest she be in danger of being repetitive.
I would like to see Price explore the untrustworthiness of Falin a little more, the revelation about her siblings or the relationship and bond she has with Death.
Personally I think Price did venture forth just a tad, perhaps not in a cliffhanger kind of way, but then again it is hard to let go of characters that have grown close to ones heart. Entertaining read.
on 5 September 2012
Another fun story in the Alex Craft series sees the return of the rather gorgeous Death, and the romantically confused Falin. There's more Fae, more magic, and more ghosts. It's the third novel so far and it doesn't disappoint - the standard is just as good as the first.

BUT - and it's an important but - the proofreading is diabolical. "You're" instead of "your"; "ridged" instead of "rigid"; lots of missing words, or repeated words ("look looking" was one), and times when you're not sure whether tense has changed or there's just "-ed" missing.

A story this good - heck, any story - deserves good proofreading. Please let the next book be better prepared!
on 16 July 2012
Kalyana Price's novels always make me wish that they were twice as long - and none more so than the totally un-reader friendly ending of this episode!

The central character is still as feisty as ever, if not a little blinder than before.. the land of faerie is vividly described and the interaction between Alexis and the resident ghost in her life are very funny.

I don't want to describe it any more because the official synopsis alone should make you want to run out and buy this book.

Ms Price has a very user friendly way of writing and is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors - right up there with Lisa Olsen (Pretty Witches All In A Row, Moonsong, Nine Steps to Sara) and J V Jones (Cavern of Black Ice series, The Barbed Coil, The Baker's Boy etc etc)
on 25 May 2016
This is one of the most original fantasy stories. I think it was bold making death tall dark and handsome and most importantly sexy. I love the fact that she has two love interests but can't have either one. I don't know which man will be the winner but it's going to be fun finding out
on 29 July 2012
Book 3 in this series. There is a lot going on with faerie visits, ghouls, soul collectors, Alex's business venture and at the heart of the story a soul sucking entity that travels from body to body. In fact the body count seemed pretty high. This was definitely a team Death rather than team Falin book. Falin being under the winter queens strictures meant limited interaction with the FIB rep. But Death is rather more hands on this time round. I enjoyed this instalment and will look out for book 4. For some reason I didn't read as compulsively as the last 2 so 4.5 stars from me.
on 31 July 2012
I was recommended this series by a friend and have thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of the books so far. It's familiar UF fodder, but Price's heroine Alex Craft is interesting and there's good characterisation. My only concern is in the love triangle - which I'm enjoying so far - but I don't want to drag out too long (or have 1 book Falin, the next book Death etc). Going forward I'd be interested to learn more about Alex's family and her fae connections.
Alex Craft has finally opened her PI business with fellow grave witch Rianna, and her first official case proves to be very interesting as she is convinced a suicide is far from what it obviously appears to be. This particular case opens up a very bad case of worms, and Alex not only endangers herself, but also someone she never anticipated could be affected by what she faces is put in jeopardy.

The story line is fantastic as Alex faces a magical enemy that proves impossible to contain. There were some really tense dramatic moments that left me wondering how on earth the author could turn the plot around in order for Alex to save the day. Alex may do what she can, but there are a growing number of casualties along the way. In addition, her relationships with both Falin and Death remain unresolved and she is starting to annoy me somewhat as she bounces between the pair and keeps forgiving Falin for his betrayals. I know he has no choice but to follow the orders of his Queen, and he has also stressed to Alex that he cannot be trusted, so it’s really a no brainer who she can really rely on when it comes to the 2 men in her life.
Alex and her best friend Rianna have finally opened their own PI firm called Tongues for the Dead but their first case is a lot more complicated than they had bargained for. What initially looks like a simple suicide case turns out to be much more when Alex realises that the Shade has no memory of the days leading up to the death - something that should be impossible. As the rate of public suicides continues to rise it becomes clear that something darker is going on but what could be behind the deaths? As if Alex's professional life wasn't complicated enough her personal life is even worse - with Falin under orders from the Winter Queen to keep his distance regarding anything that isn't work related, and Death nowhere in sight since his declaration, Alex is desperately missing both of the men in her life. She is also feeling more disconnected with her friends than ever before thanks to the efforts of the Winter Queen and the latest revelations about her own past. Before she can worry about her personal life she is going to have to deal with whatever is causing the current spate of suicides though, but can she do it before any of the people closest to her end up getting hurt?

Grave Memory is the third book in Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series and in my opinion this series just gets better and better with every instalment. I just wish I didn't have to wait for the next book to be published! This is one of the only series I can think of that has a love triangle that isn't driving me completely crazy, I can see why Alex is attracted to both Falin and Death so although I definitely know which team I'm on (Team Death of course!) I understand why Alex is finding it so hard to make a decision. I don't think Falin is a bad guy but the fact that he is tied to the Winter Queen makes it impossible to trust any of his actions, something that is really proved to Alex in this book. I would like to see him break his ties to the Winter Queen but to be honest I'm really hoping that Alex ends up with Death!

I have been crushing on Death since the first book but so far he had remained very much a mystery man and we didn't know very much about him so I was incredibly excited that he had a much larger role in this story. If I had a crush on him before I am completely 100% head over heels in love with him now - he is such a sexy guy and his actions in this book were completely swoonworthy. There is no doubt in my mind that he loves Alex and would do anything to keep her safe and he proves that time and time again no matter what it costs him. The only problem is that love between a human and a soul collector is forbidden so any future for them isn't going to be easy. There just has to be a way for them to make it work though - I refuse to accept any other alternative!

Although I love the romance in this series it is by no means the main focus of the story which is something I really appreciate. I enjoyed the mystery surrounding the suicides and it was great to see Alex and Rianna reconnect after spending so many years apart. Rianna is having a hard time adjusting to having freedom again but I think Alex did a great job of helping her find her feet and start to experience life again. I also enjoyed learning more about the Fae and I don't envy Alex the choices that she is going to have to make when it comes to allying herself with one of the courts or declaring herself an independent. It seems like no matter which way she decides to go she is going to cause problems for herself of one kind or another. One of the things I like the most about this series is the way using magic has a price, that always makes it seem much more realistic to me but I have to admit that I don't envy Alex and Rianna their abilities. The cost of using her gift is becoming greater every time Alex accesses her grave magic and that is just going to make things even more complicated for her in the future. Kalayna Price has created a fantastic urban fantasy series that is fast becoming one of my favourites and I can't wait for the next instalment. If you aren't reading this series yet then I'd highly recommend starting with the first book Grave Witch but if you're already a fan then you're going to love this latest instalment!
on 17 February 2013
I've been meaning to read this book for ages and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. This series almost gets better with every book, I love the dark creepy edge to the whole magical world. The magical world itself isn't really a nice place and Alex's job hasn't got any easier, she's also person non grata with the authorities for her ability to get herself entangled in the darkest, scariest cases.
In this book especially we see how powerful Alex really is but while still a kick ass witch Alex isn't infallible, she gets into heaps of bother and I like that she has stayed vulnerable throughout.
There's more Death (who is awesome, we finally get a few answers about his mysteriousness), we also see Falin but I hope the big old love triangle doesn't drag out in future books because it'll only be annoying.
Once again the full set of characters are all great, with their own real personalities and weird quirks. There are a few new ones too, with a ghoul kicking super biatch who makes Alex look like a meek kitten at times. Also I thought the ghosts were well portrayed, as usual, simple normal people caught up in magic, usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The plot was particularly gruesome this time around but very original. I loved this book, highly recommended :)