Format: PaperbackChange

on 18 April 2014
This book was a revelation to me. I am 53 years old always exercised and tried to eat healthily but finding my weight was always creeping up. I now understand why thanks to this book. The Sugar we eat turns straight into fat and is addictive. I was always hungry and I've now realised why. Since I have stopped eating a lot of the foods that are full of sugar (I thought were good for me), such as diet yoghurts, so called healthy cereals to name a few, I am no longer hungry all the time and consequently eating less. For the first time in my life I feel in control. I am eating more than I did previously and I have lost 10 pounds, putting me at a weight I am happy with and I am maintaining. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is intelligent and well written and easy to understand. The food industry has been adding more and more sugar to our food for years to try and make us eat more of it. They should be ashamed of themselves and are to blame for a lot of the weight problems of ordinary people.
0Comment57 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2014
I've been looking at ways to lose weight and become increasingly distrustful of the advice I was getting. Diets have been proven not to work long-term over and over and yet it's the same information that gets churned out over and over. Low fat (high sugar), High protein (low carbs - including fruit and veg). It generally revolves around giving up on one food group and doesn't work long term. Exercise 5 times a week. If it doesn't work it must be because you're a glutton, lazy, weak willed, no self- respect...
The information that seemed to add up to me is 'The Food Doctor', Ian Marber (which is low sugar), 'I quit sugar' Sarah Wilson and now this book which seems to be the final piece in the puzzle for me.

David Gillespie is or was a lawyer and has approached this from the viewpoint of gathering evidence for a case. I hadn't meant to give up sugar but I had been reducing the amount I was eating. The reason for dieticians and nutritionists advising low fat and exercise seems to be based on some very superficial evidence. Sugar is probably the least useful food we eat and most processed food, especially low-fat, is riddled with it. There is growing evidence that sugar is linked to a lot of health problems and sugar is highly addictive. The evidence became so compelling I couldn't put the book down and I quit sugar 2 days ago (apart from the natural sugar found in fruit and some vegetables - I limit myself to one or 2 pieces of fruit a day.

The book starts by giving you the evidence (fairly detailed but well worth reading), then there's a step-by-step guide to giving up, followed by some recipes. I've gone cold turkey, but there are guidelines to gradually reducing. There's also a list of products to avoid and products that will fit the programme. You can continue with the odd glass of wine (but not desert, sweet or fortified e.g. sherry/ port). Exercise is fine but moderate, you don't have to kill youself.

It's obviously early days for me, there are supposed to be some withdrawal symptoms but plenty of advice to help you through. I've had cold symptoms today (could just be a cold, but I could also be detoxing) and very tired, no major symptoms so far. But I've also noticed a drop in appetite - normally when I have a cold I have increased appetite? I'm hoping to lose weight but if the evidence is to be believed the health benefits will be ample reward.

I seem to fit in with the group of people who are addicted to sugar, so it seems to make sense to me to try and quit. Some people can eat sugar all day and never put a 1lb on, but then I can take or leave alcohol and some people can't have a sip. It's a really interesting book, easy to read and if like me you are tired of trying to lose weight and eat healthy but never seeing results maybe this is the book for you?
0Comment65 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2014
Having been aware of the dangers of sugar for sometime, and having tried to lose weight and get in shape the conventional way - diet and exercise - it became apparent to me that the conventional wisdoms of diet and exercise - it is my profession after all! - were not going to work. Chancing upon this book, whilst looking for another, I am glad that I took the time to read it. Gillespie explains, in layman's terms, exactly the negative impact of sugar. There is - refreshingly - no impossible to follow rules or doctrines. No guilt ridden, browbeating, rhetoric. The author makes the assumption that the reader is not a moron and can follow - or not - the advice and information provided. AND it is UK based so there is not a whole slew of mentions of products I've never heard of! Perfect.
0Comment48 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2013
I always knew I was addicted to sugar but I had massively underestimated the reach and grip of fructose.
Gone cold turkey, applying "one day at a time" techniques.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2014
I quit sugar after reading this book. So far 5 weeks in I have lost 14lb without any other changes in lifestyle. I haven't become a gym bunny or changed anything else & I am not starving at all. I just cut out as much sugar as possible.
It's working for me, but we're all different. I believe sugar was my problem & I'd recommend it if you want to lose weight.
11 comment45 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2014
Read it. Learn. Decide. Good luck. This is a huge decision to live and eat in a completely different way. It involves swimming against the mainstream which should not be underestimated. But if you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, go for it!
0Comment29 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2014
This is the best book I have found to help get you off the dreaded part of sugar, fructose. It explains what harm fructose does in the body and why we are all fighting our weight. The tables and graphs make it very easy to reduce your intake of fructose to less than a spoonful per day, the weight just falls off and you are never hungry!
0Comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2015
Very good book, a real eye opener, but I think it is very hard to live a total sugar free life! But at least I reduced my sugar intake by approx. 90% which is brilliant. Lost 4 kg in 2 weeks without being on a diet.
on 29 April 2013
If you want to come off sugar this is the book for you.it explains the effect sugar has on your body and how your body recovers when you stop eating it
on 9 January 2014
Very helpful, but disappointed with the recipes
Informative and knowledgable things I wasn't aware of
Definitely recommend to purchase. Louise