5.0 out of 5 stars life changing information!
Published 8 months ago by Austin

2.0 out of 5 stars Try and buy the book not the kindle edition
The information in the book is very interesting but because it is on my kindle I find the graphs and diagrams illegible and being told to turn to page 28 (and back again) impossible. It's a reference book and you need to keep refering to different pages ... it just doesn't work on the kindle! Would really like to have bought this as a book!
Published 19 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars life changing information!, 23 Mar 2014
Austin (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
I've been looking at ways to lose weight and become increasingly distrustful of the advice I was getting. Diets have been proven not to work long-term over and over and yet it's the same information that gets churned out over and over. Low fat (high sugar), High protein (low carbs - including fruit and veg). It generally revolves around giving up on one food group and doesn't work long term. Exercise 5 times a week. If it doesn't work it must be because you're a glutton, lazy, weak willed, no self- respect...
The information that seemed to add up to me is 'The Food Doctor', Ian Marber (which is low sugar), 'I quit sugar' Sarah Wilson and now this book which seems to be the final piece in the puzzle for me.

David Gillespie is or was a lawyer and has approached this from the viewpoint of gathering evidence for a case. I hadn't meant to give up sugar but I had been reducing the amount I was eating. The reason for dieticians and nutritionists advising low fat and exercise seems to be based on some very superficial evidence. Sugar is probably the least useful food we eat and most processed food, especially low-fat, is riddled with it. There is growing evidence that sugar is linked to a lot of health problems and sugar is highly addictive. The evidence became so compelling I couldn't put the book down and I quit sugar 2 days ago (apart from the natural sugar found in fruit and some vegetables - I limit myself to one or 2 pieces of fruit a day.

The book starts by giving you the evidence (fairly detailed but well worth reading), then there's a step-by-step guide to giving up, followed by some recipes. I've gone cold turkey, but there are guidelines to gradually reducing. There's also a list of products to avoid and products that will fit the programme. You can continue with the odd glass of wine (but not desert, sweet or fortified e.g. sherry/ port). Exercise is fine but moderate, you don't have to kill youself.

It's obviously early days for me, there are supposed to be some withdrawal symptoms but plenty of advice to help you through. I've had cold symptoms today (could just be a cold, but I could also be detoxing) and very tired, no major symptoms so far. But I've also noticed a drop in appetite - normally when I have a cold I have increased appetite? I'm hoping to lose weight but if the evidence is to be believed the health benefits will be ample reward.

I seem to fit in with the group of people who are addicted to sugar, so it seems to make sense to me to try and quit. Some people can eat sugar all day and never put a 1lb on, but then I can take or leave alcohol and some people can't have a sip. It's a really interesting book, easy to read and if like me you are tired of trying to lose weight and eat healthy but never seeing results maybe this is the book for you?

5.0 out of 5 stars Really eye opening and life changing advice, 18 April 2014
This book was a revelation to me. I am 53 years old always exercised and tried to eat healthily but finding my weight was always creeping up. I now understand why thanks to this book. The Sugar we eat turns straight into fat and is addictive. I was always hungry and I've now realised why. Since I have stopped eating a lot of the foods that are full of sugar (I thought were good for me), such as diet yoghurts, so called healthy cereals to name a few, I am no longer hungry all the time and consequently eating less. For the first time in my life I feel in control. I am eating more than I did previously and I have lost 10 pounds, putting me at a weight I am happy with and I am maintaining. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is intelligent and well written and easy to understand. The food industry has been adding more and more sugar to our food for years to try and make us eat more of it. They should be ashamed of themselves and are to blame for a lot of the weight problems of ordinary people.

5.0 out of 5 stars straight forward and eye opening., 3 May 2014
Having been aware of the dangers of sugar for sometime, and having tried to lose weight and get in shape the conventional way - diet and exercise - it became apparent to me that the conventional wisdoms of diet and exercise - it is my profession after all! - were not going to work. Chancing upon this book, whilst looking for another, I am glad that I took the time to read it. Gillespie explains, in layman's terms, exactly the negative impact of sugar. There is - refreshingly - no impossible to follow rules or doctrines. No guilt ridden, browbeating, rhetoric. The author makes the assumption that the reader is not a moron and can follow - or not - the advice and information provided. AND it is UK based so there is not a whole slew of mentions of products I've never heard of! Perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelatory!, 20 Mar 2013
I always knew I was addicted to sugar but I had massively underestimated the reach and grip of fructose.
Gone cold turkey, applying "one day at a time" techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working for me, 13 Feb 2014
I quit sugar after reading this book. So far 5 weeks in I have lost 14lb without any other changes in lifestyle. I haven't become a gym bunny or changed anything else & I am not starving at all. I just cut out as much sugar as possible.
It's working for me, but we're all different. I believe sugar was my problem & I'd recommend it if you want to lose weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Sweet Poison Quit Plan (Paperback)
Before reading this book I thought I couldnt make it through a day without Chocolate, Biscuits, Cake etc
It has now been 2 weeks and I havent had any treats or even been tempted by them.
Who knew sugar was hiding in sooooo much food, its been tricky checking all the packages but im sure
that will get better with time once you know whats safe to eat.
I definitely recommend this book to anyone who thinks they cant do without sugar! Its a life changer!!

5.0 out of 5 stars this book might save your life, 19 Jan 2014
Read it. Learn. Decide. Good luck. This is a huge decision to live and eat in a completely different way. It involves swimming against the mainstream which should not be underestimated. But if you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very helpful., 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Sweet Poison Quit Plan (Paperback)
This is the best book I have found to help get you off the dreaded part of sugar, fructose. It explains what harm fructose does in the body and why we are all fighting our weight. The tables and graphs make it very easy to reduce your intake of fructose to less than a spoonful per day, the weight just falls off and you are never hungry!

4.0 out of 5 stars stopping your sugar intake, 29 April 2013
If you want to come off sugar this is the book for you.it explains the effect sugar has on your body and how your body recovers when you stop eating it

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I realise this before?, 4 Nov 2013
The book makes so much sense that I wonder why I did not work it out for myself. I believe this book will change my life as I will not have to think about food all day. I recommend watching the YouTube film of the Australian rugby player who lost weight after reading this book. Very inspiring.

The Sweet Poison Quit Plan
The Sweet Poison Quit Plan by David Gillespie (Paperback - 26 Sep 2013)