Format: Hardcover|Change

This book appealed to me just because of the title. I am all for less washing up and slow, homely, nourishing cookery. I have a Rayburn and love making meals all in one vessel. Disappointingly, here is just another cookbook, the title is misleading, if well intended. Neatly produced with a syylish hardback cover, excellent photography and plenty of friendly encouragement, One Pot Wonders would be fine if it were called anything else.

Many of the recipes could be made in one pot but madly Lindsey Bareham over complicates things. The first recipe I tried - Spring Chicken Stew with Carrots and Peas calls for various different cookery procedures, which are actually unnecessary. This dish could be made all in one pot without pre cooking the potatoes and peas. Even sillier, a careless mistake offers the ingredients up with none of the eponymous carrots! This made me lose my faith from the off.

How can a layered sponge cake be a One Pot Wonder? Even a pudding called Malva needs a dish, and a bain marie arrangement. These ordinary recipes were clearly stuffing.

Carelessness does not belong in a recipe book. Slapdash proof reading, lazy editing, makes the reader feel short changed and insecure. If I wanted a book of good home cooking, with some international dishes to spice it up, well yes this would be a start, apart from the mistakes. It is not what it says on the cover, just another collection of tasty looking food.
on 1 April 2014
Lindsey Bareham is once again important in our kitchen.
Have a previous one pot cook book from this chef which has rarely been used due to unexciting recipes. This book however is a permanent fixture in the kitchen as everything we have cooked from it has been a success! One Pot Wonders is a title that doesn't lie .
Every recipe has produced simple, tasty, honest, good time, comforting food. There is a great collection of dishes to cook. Soups , stews, pasta,rice, noodles, European, Asian - lots to enjoy.
Try the duck with haricot beans or the Moroccan chicken pilaff -you can't go wrong
on 17 February 2014
Some good ideas here, although the 'one pot' idea is stretched pretty thin. However the real issue is that it's very poorly edited - some of the intros just don't make sense; a rice recipe has no rice in the ingredients; half an egg and two tablespoons of water to bind 200g of flour - really? Some of the cooking times are unlikely too. If I've discovered these errors in the half dozen times I've used this book then goodness knows how many others there are. This kind of thing is insulting.
on 25 February 2014
I agree with other reviewers that the editing is sloppy... pictures of finished dishes not matching the ingredients for example, but I am really enjoying this book. I have made about ten of the dishes so far and the finished results have been excellent.... and easy to make..... without lots of obscure expensive ingredients. I would also add that the title is rather similar to one of LB's earlier books, namely 'Just One Pot' and I was a little concerned that this might be a rehash of that book (I have been caught on Amazon when books are given different titles for the US market... e.g. Diana Henry) However, it is a new book, and it is getting well used!
on 30 January 2014
I was worried (ish) after reading the one star review post ordering this latest from Lindsey Bareham. I shouldn't have. It arrived today. This book is one ill use again and again. I'll enjoy reading it this weekend and will cook from it as early as next week. Chapters are:
Frys
Pasta
Noodles
Rice
Puddings
This is big flavour cooking, along with Bareham's usual simple method. Next week for me I'll try squid and chorizo stew, a great stifado and the wonderful looking black pasta with chilli. The week after, the laksa, sausage and bean chicken stew and Bo po. Yummy. The prose is great too. Mouthwatering and temptingly written. Recommended
on 9 February 2014
There are some excellent recipes in here. They are really easy to prepare and cater for lots of different ages and tastes. There's something in here for my husband, daughter (8) and son (3). Really recommend this one.
on 27 January 2014
I was counting down the days until this book was published and I'm not disappointed. There are SO many good recipes in here. I really love to cook, but limited time means I'm always looking for new recipes that can be prepared after work but are also interesting and inviting to eat. Very many of the recipes in this book fit that bill, plus there are loads more that I will enjoy taking a little more time over on our less hectic weekends.
on 16 March 2014
I've bought several hundred cookbooks over the years and usually find a couple of good recipes, occasionally more and sometimes none. I've now cooked about twenty recipes from this book and everyone has been a delight, not too complicated, tasty and nicely different enough to excite again and again. Brilliant.
on 27 May 2014
As a bloke who enjoys cooking but is a little intimidated by the ever present chance of failure I really enjoy and often use this book. It is clearly written in an easy to follow manner with great tasty and simple but very impressive dishes. Always a pleasure to refer to. A great addition to any arsenal
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 February 2014
I have only tried out one recipe, on page 105. The title and photo clearly mention carrots, but the recipe doesn't! Also 750g of potatoes in a casserole for four people is a little excessive. I would suggest that the reader thinks about the recipe before trying it out. Very basic mistakes. Were there no proof readers available? As in all recipe books there are bound to be some that someone doesn't fancy. Some decent recipes but use them as a guide and interpret them to suit yourself.