1,968 Reviews
 (1,347)

5.0 out of 5 stars The most enjoyable book of the year
Don is lecturer in genetics at a university in University in Melbourne, Australia. He is single, on the brink of his fortieth birthday and leads a highly systemized life dominated by routines, list, structures and timetables. You can count all his friends on the fingers of one finger, unless you include, Claudia, wife of his friend Gene, lecturer in evolutionary...
Published 21 months ago by Kartowidjojo

3.0 out of 5 stars Different and funny, but over-hyped
Don Tillman is a genetics Professor in Melbourne, his life one that is dominated by routines and strict schedules and order; he knows that his brain works differently to most, social situations in particular are not his forte, however, the way he sees it he is governed by logic and reason as opposed to his emotions. Approaching his fortieth birthday, Don decides that he...
Published 9 months ago by little bookworm

‹ Previous | 1130 131 132197 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book I have read in a long time!, 11 Oct. 2014
Literally laughed out loud all the way through this book, [though did have some tears too!]. Didn't want to put it down so read it in a few days. Can't wait to read the sequel. Well done Graeme and thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good but predictable, 10 Sept. 2014
Although the book is really enjoyable and very much recommended to read, I do find the plot predictable. If at some point they decide to make a movie based on the story, they may ask Tom Hanks to play Don :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Enough Asperger's, already, 6 Feb. 2014
Mark Hadden's "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night" started the craze. It was a fine book, funny, interesting and thought-provoking, Thre was also Belinda Bauer's "Rubbernecker", an interesting whodunnit written from the perspective of someone with Asperger's.

Gavin Extence followed up with "The Universe against Alex Woods", where the protagonist never explicitly is on the autistic spectrum but very much appears to be.

Now we have yet another "laugh along with the autistic, who are just as we are but see the world differently" work. Our Hero Don is never explicitly placed on the autistic spectrum, but the word "Asperger's" appears in the second paragraph of the book as a not-so-subtle clue that yes, we have yet another case of "I see the world differently".

Surely the craze is over? Can we get back to characters who (like, say, Jack Reacher) refuse to relate to the world on a voluntary basis rather than due to a medically-diagnosed syndrome?

This gets two stars as my criterion for one star is "haven't thrown it at the wall yet" and I'm still ploughing through it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining enough to buy the sequel, 1 Aug. 2014
A great light hearted rom-com with a twist. Sadly there is a high level of predictability, and the female characters are not well rounded. however on the whole an easy read, with some laugh out loud moments.

3.0 out of 5 stars ... in law I read The Rosie Project was very funny I read it but felt a bit let down ..., 19 Sept. 2014
Having been told by my daughter and her mother in law I read The Rosie Project was very funny I read it but felt a bit let down - possibly my expectations were too high and I did not find it really funny

5.0 out of 5 stars funniest book I read in a very long time., 13 Aug. 2014
Laugh out loud funny from beginning to end. A preposterous plot line, but such a wonderfully accurate and sympathetic portrayal of a person with Asperger's. I held my breath until Rosie finally said yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny but thoughtful., 6 Oct. 2014
Couldn't put it down - made me laugh, but also made me reflect and try to be more understanding of people not quite in the social 'norm'. Can't wait for a film version now. Don Tilman- a genius project.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but fun!, 24 Nov. 2014
Not a book I knew anything about but became hooked and found it very amusing at times. A good dry sense of humour but still none the clearer on who was Rosie's father in the end which was frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a lovely book, 19 Nov. 2014
Although slightly predictable from the outset it's brilliantly written, funny, heart warming and gives a real insite into autism in adults. I loved every minute of it and can't wait for the follow up

5.0 out of 5 stars very funny and touching nove, 3 Sept. 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of a man who is perhaps not all that different from men we all know. The first half made me laugh out loud time and again, the second half less so but was intriguing.

‹ Previous | 1130 131 132197 | Next ›

The Rosie Project
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (Hardcover - 11 April 2013)
Used & New from: £18.62