5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious

3.0 out of 5 stars camp david
Published on 8 Nov 2012 by bbsan

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Hardcover)
Pretty impressed that I've managed to finish a book the day after it was published! But that's down to the fact that it's great. Loved the descriptions of him at school, joining the sea-scouts because it sounded camp, and of his first attempts at stand up in the comic relief assembly at school. But it was also fascinating to see the darker sides of his life. I've always known he's struggled with depression but I had no idea about the depths of it, and how close he came to ending his own life. He's such a fascinating guy, and it was a pleasure to enter into his poetic mind. It really is a sign that I read it so quickly! I never do that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ups and Downs...Just Like Life, 24 Nov 2012
C. Markham (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camp David (Hardcover)
I feel like one of David Walliams' few American fans. We don't get all of his shows and appearances in the U.S. so I was excited to get to know more about him. David's autobiography is just like life- some parts are exciting, some parts are boring, some parts are sad and others are frustrating, but in the end you are grateful for the experience. I especially liked David's accounts of his father, with whom he had a difficult relationship. David did not dwell on his father's lack of affection, but instead was honest about how that shaped him, for better and for worse. I find a lot of people excuse their parents bad behavior and chalk it up to "it was a different generation." David does recollect a story about his father's upbringing which helps him understand their inability to connect, but he doesn't excuse the hurt his father caused. For someone whose sexuality was so scrutinized until his marriage, I thought it was fitting that he spent a good amount of the book describing his childhood experiences with other boys and his debilitating shyness around women. I was really surprised that his relationship with writing partner Matt Lucas was hard at times and that David felt inferior to Matt on many occasions. I know this should be obvious, as all relationships are difficult, but they always seem like happy-go-lucky best friends on chat shows, DVD extras and documentaries. The only part of the book that was hard for me were the references to the older Comedians he admired and all the shows he worked on because I wasn't familiar with them here in the States. I look forward to part 2 which I hope explores what it's really like to deal with the paparazzi and how money and fame change relationships.

3.0 out of 5 stars camp david, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
David Williams is a very talented comedian, a great entertainer and this book I feel didn't do him justice.I was so looking forward to reading this talented funny man's autobiography Camp David but have to say was very disappointed. I found the book very slow and drawn out, over detailed with other people in his story, not really enough about David, I managed to get half way through it in hope it would improve. Sadly I lost interest and didn't finish the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camp David, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book but did find the 'diary sections' a little tedious at times. A very funny man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and moving autobiography, 26 Oct 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Hardcover)
I'm not usually one for a celebrity autobiography but I was curious enough about David Walliams to pick this one up... curious and also impressed by the wild adoration my godchildren adopt towards him as a children's author - he's got to have a way with words, right? I wasn't disappointed. It's a warm, funny and often moving account of his life and pulls no punches in terms of the way it addresses the depression and cripplingly low self esteem which seems time and time again to be twinned with comedy talent. I was fascinated by his status as a camp straight man too - can't think of many of those - and love the fact it was left to Graham Norton to finally tell him he is, actually, straight! So all in all - it's an enjoyable, insightful read with plenty of celebrity titbits to garnish the mix. I look forward to part 2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget the campness, this is Walliams with nothing to hide, 13 Dec 2012
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
People will walk into this book expecting it to be be comic...and it is for the first half. However it was the later part of the autobiography that I found most intricate and emotional; Walliams openly talks about his battle with depression, failed relationships and how he built up his life to what it is today. As he very well said, "I was never going to write an autobiography, unless I wad completely honest". Well David, you were and it was compelling, emotional and fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and moving story, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this, a very honest book, funny at first when he was growing up, but then very moving when he talks about his depression. I has no idea he sufffered like this. Facinating to find out how hard he had to work for his success. Such determination. First biography for a while that I just couldn't put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars spellbinding, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
A very very good read, honest and funny in places, it made cry in some chapters too. once you pick it up you will not want to put it down until you have finished the whole book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably entertaining, 22 Oct 2012
C. Colley (Lincs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Camp David (Hardcover)
David Walliams's first autobiography starts with his childhood and continues up to 2003, just after the first series of Little Britain was broadcast.
I enjoyed the first part of the book which is about David's youth, school and uni days and the beginnings of his acting/comedy career.
I also appreciated his honesty and openness regarding his personal problems which are covered at various points throughout the book.
However, the latter part mainly focuses on his acting/TV career and by the end of the book I had become slightly bored with all the details.
I am disappointed that David's writing career is not included and it looks like this will be covered in another book. The drawn out money making process that comes with this type of book can be a little off-putting.
I like David Walliams and think he is charming and funny, but I have mixed opinions about this autobiography. His kids novels are great, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down from the beginning, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Camp David (Kindle Edition)
I am so let down that the book didn't take you up to the present day it's just a rip off to make you buy sequel some good content but its a book without an end

Camp David
Camp David by David Walliams (Hardcover - 11 Oct 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01