4.8 out of 5 stars6,375
Format: PaperbackChange

on 30 June 2012
I have just finished reading this book and loved every bit of it. The plot is pretty simple and rotates around a life of an ex-banker who became disabled after an accident through no fault of his own, and a young girl from a working class family who got a job caring for him. The story brings a number of moral issues into the spotlight: can you have a right to die if you are too ill to live or not; can you have a normal life after a serious accident? It also pictures the modern society attitude to disabled people and shows you the day-to-day life through the eyes of Will, who became disabled. The story of friendship and love runs through the whole book and makes the read very exciting and intriguing. I knew what the ending would be but hoped for a different one. However, how many happy endings in real life situations like these do you know??? It is a great book and I would recommend it to everyone.
on 8 November 2012
I absolutely loved this book! A friend recently recommended Jojo Moyes' books to me and suggested I started with "Me Before You." I can't thank her enough :)

I was gripped from the start and although about half way through I guessed how the story might end, that didn't spoil it for me. I loved David Nicholls' "One Day" when I read that last year and didn't think I'd ever find an intelligent romance to match it but it just shows you that if you're willing to give authors that you've never come across before a go, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I'm not going to go into details about the story - you'll just have to read it yourself! While I'm waiting for the film to come out (please, please can somebody make a film based on this book??? With the right leading actors it'd fab!), I'm going to read some more of Jojo Moyes' books starting with "The Girl You Left Behind."
on 18 February 2013
I decided to read this because of all the rave reviews. Top book when ranked on customer ratings can't be bad! But what a disappointment it was to read it. It's not a bad book by any measure but it's simply nothing special.

I enjoyed it well enough but it was not exactly riveting stuff. It had it's poignant moments and it had it's funny moments, but it also had moments which illustrated a lack of understanding of the difficult subject matter or which tried to be funny but just missed the spot. A bit like watching Victoria Wood in my view.

The title suggests the author knows just how selfish Lou is but a bit more text from the perspective of the person who has taken over her life would have helped to bring that out better and provide more of a compelling contrast. It's a serious subject delivered in a fairly lightweight style and it just doesn't quite deliver for me.
on 16 April 2012
Me Before You is a really beautiful, touching story. I loved it from start to finish. Characters are really likeable and the plot twisted and turned and was extremely thought provoking and enjoyable.

I won't detail the story, because other reviewers have already done this, but I will say that I just finished reading this, while having some lunch in a cafe in London and I cried like a baby... (can't go back to that café for a while now!!)

I haven't read anything by Jo Jo Moyles before, but I'll be getting some of others now! Her writing style is quite similar to Marian Keyes, and several times I thought I was reading a book by her instead (This as a good thing!). All in all, an excellent read that really gets you thinking about where you stand on the issues brought up in the book. Highly recommended, just make sure you're not in a public place when you finish reading!
on 20 April 2014
What a fantastic book. I've never felt so drawn into a story, or cried so much. I felt everything Will felt and simultaneously felt everything that Lou felt. It will take me a couple of days to get over it I think. So, so clever and well written, and an eye-opener into a world I knew nothing about.
on 5 September 2014
I got this book on recommendation of a friend who is a publisher. I loved it. From start to finish it kept me wanting for more and at one point while on holiday it was 5 a.m. and I was still reading! Wonderfully written, with such lovely characters, and although sad, it made me smile too. Loved it.
on 2 November 2012
This book was a bit slow to start however don't be put off by this. The book soon gets very interesting and a real page turner and has you guessing to the very end...
Has laughter and tears everything you want from a book.. Also makes you realise how lucky you are..
This is a MUST READ!!!
on 23 February 2012
it is the first book of jojo moyes that I have read, and following the reviews I was expecting a much better book. Although it is very readable it did't touched my senses at all. she took a very sensitive and debatable subject(euthanasia)which evoke lots of feeling and thoughts and she delt with it in a very supericial and shallow way.quite disappointing!
on 27 January 2013
After seeing the many positive reviews for this (I believe it was in the thousands) I decided, although not what I would normally go for, to give this a try. I am so glad I did.

Although I knew fairly early on where this may lead, I was absolutely enchanted by the beautiful relationship between the protagonist Louisa and her 'boss' Will. It ended with the beautiful reality this well written book truly deserved. It sounds very cliché, but I really struggled to put it down. Reading until 3am and switching from my dead-batteried kindle to an app on my iPhone, I was unable to rest until I felt I had reached the perfect conclusion to the story.
I could not recommend this enough, although I would avoid it you are feeling particularly emotionally vulnerable, as it stuck with me for days.
I may never read this book again, but it has truly made an impression upon my life .
on 21 June 2014
One of the best stories I've ever read. A LOVE story. It can't be anything but. It fills your heart with emotion and joy, even if it's sad. But is it really sad? I've found myself wondering. It's just a reminder of the power of true feelings, and yes, it's uplifting. And positive. Fantastic read.