4,380 Reviews
 (3,734)

1,264 of 1,290 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh, made me cry ... loved it
I've read a few of Jojo Moyes' previous books - Ship of Brides (loved), The Last Letter From Your Lover (adored) and The Peacock Emporium (meh) - but I think she's moved onto a whole new level with her latest offering.

Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Denise4891

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, easy read if contrived
Most of what needs to be said about this book has been by other reviewers. But here's my take on it anyway.

Published on 6 Aug 2012 by Monkey Magic

1,264 of 1,290 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Made me laugh, made me cry ... loved it, 15 Nov 2011
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Me Before You features Lou Clark, a bright but directionless young woman who drifts between dead-end jobs until she eventually (rather reluctantly) takes a post as a carer to a young man who has been left in a quadriplegic state following a road accident two years earlier. Will Traynor had a high-profile, well paid career and a very active lifestyle, until it was all taken away from him in the blink of an eye as he crossed the road to hail a taxi. To say he's bitter and angry about the hand life has dealt him would be an understatement. His family are at the end of their tether, and shortly after Lou is hired she hatches a desperate plan to try to convince Will that his life is worth living.

Sounds a bit grim and depressing? Well think again. I've never noticed much in the way of comedy in Moyes's novels before, but this book had me alternating between laughing out loud and smiling wryly (oh and crying - more of that later), and I was reminded very much of Marian Keyes in her prime. I loved the affectionate banter between Lou and her family and the not-so-affectionate (at first) verbal sparring between Lou and Will. (Their first meeting when he plays a particularly wicked trick on her is absolutely priceless.)

And now for the serious stuff. The subjects of quadriplegia and the rights of disabled people are dealt with sensitively and compassionately. The descriptions of Will's day to day existence, which involves relying on others for almost every aspect of his personal care, really hit home.

I saved the last 50 pages to read at home rather than on the train because I knew that, whatever the outcome, it was going to be emotional, but it's also a very uplifting and life-affirming read. It's not often that I become so emotionally involved in a storyline and the memory of this thought-provoking book and the wonderfully engaging characters Jojo Moyes has created will stay with me for a long time.

PS: The 'comment' below from Brian Kennedy (30.05.12) contains a MAJOR SPOILER - don't read it if you don't want to know how the book ends. I reported it to Amazon a few weeks ago but they haven't removed it yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully engaging., 28 Jun 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
I bought this book based purely on the fantastic recommendations of so many people on this site and I must say I am SO glad I did, I am an avid reader and get through 3 or 4 books a week and have done for as long as I can remember and I have to say this book I cant remember the last time a book made me "feel" quite like this one,
The characters almost become real, I dont know quite how else to describe it, I felt so involved in the story and really cared about how they felt and what happened, I dont want to give any of the story away but I laughed and I definately cried, alot.
It is a beautiful story that gets right to the heart of the matter and makes you really think about life and what you want from it,
I'm not a loon, I am well aware it's a fictional story but it was one I can NOT recommend enough to anyone,
I can honestly say it is one of the most involving, well written, emotional, sweet and uplifting books I have ever read and after writing this am going straight to other books by Jojo Moyes and they will be in my basket before you know it.
Buy this book, you wont be dissapointed, I certainly wasnt. its a gem.
5 stars isnt enough. it deserves SO much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, compelling, moving, funny ... altogether superlative, 31 Jan 2012
J. O'Connell (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
This book was unputdownable. It's not often, that, on a dull winter's afternoon, during a dull afternoon at work, you can get a complete flash of happiness at the thought of coming home to carry on reading (and I speak as a mother-of-three with chores to do). However, I was so gripped by it that I had to get a grip myself and tell myself to eke it out and savour the whole story over three evenings. Cleverly observed social scene, realistic family, humour at the most poignant moments, all a backdrop to the growing relationship. Sounds a bit odd, but in a way the couple reminded me of Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara. I lay in bed and cried my eyes out at the end. Despite the topic, it's by no means an 'issue-led' book; the characterisation is too complex and it's far too well-written. One of the best books I have read, and if they make it into a film (which it cries out for), I just hope they capture the same tender spirit.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good, easy read if contrived, 6 Aug 2012
Monkey Magic "Mm!" (Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)

It starts promisingly enough and Ms Moyes' style is really very good. But it drifts into a candy-coated chic-lit dreamland about halfway through. The author constructs a near-perfect scenario for her characters to inhabit: the male protagonist is handsome and extremely rich but has an arrogant edge that women seem to fall for; the main female character is attractive, slightly quirky and comes from a struggling working-class background immediately identifiable by most women. It's all a little too clichéd and avoids awkward, gritty realism with the inclusion of Nathan, the full time carer but, I think, this is exactly why it's so popular: Will is charismatic but vulnerable and helpless and Lou doesn't really get her hands too dirty. How convenient. Real life just isn't like this.

There are a couple of (well written) scenes to make the reader believe in the book's sincerity and authenticity that deal with disability issues but I imagine those messy struggles are a day-to-day occurrence for real carers most of whose clients cannot afford the luxuries the Traynors can. It strikes me as odd that, although the author has clearly spent time researching the area, she would opt to side-step the gritty struggle of real life. But then, I guess wiping bums is not that romantic. It would be interesting to know what quadriplegics make of this angle.

The central theme has been examined in the news countless times over the last few years and the same arguments are reconstituted here as each character personifies a particular point of view. Not very imaginative stuff and the character reactions are not always believable.

There are some positives: it *is* well crafted and it *will* tug at all but the most cynical heart strings. For the most part, the characters are strong with their own sense of purpose.

Reading the other reviews you'd think that this was a modern classic but it really isn't. Over all, it *is* worth reading if this is your bag but there is no escaping the fact that this is just a fairy tale that girls seem to go gooey-eyed to. And it does works well as that but please don't expect anything more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable., 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
Please buy and read this book!! It is literally amazing in so many ways! I bought this book for an 8 hour flight to New York and not only did I finish it in one sitting but I cried for the last couple of chapters.
I am really not a fan of silly chick lit and please do not think this book falls into this category. It is a true classic and even though I never reread books, I will always keep this book in a special place on my book shelf.
Me Before You is the perfect story, it's a story that you have not read before. This book will make you feel both comforted and cosy but also on edge and unsure what is going to happen next.
In short, I loved this book so much I wish I hadn't finished it.

4.0 out of 5 stars As a quadraplegic myself..., 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
Although I enjoyed this book I have been a quadraplegic myself for 20 years and found that side of the book exaggerated, people with a level of 5/6 injury are able to leave productive life's. I myself had a daughter 11 yrs ago, 9 years after my accident. I also run a business from home. The reference to the very moving book The butterfly and the diving bell was about someone with locked in syndrome, who's only way of communicating was via blinking, very different to a spinal injury of c5/6. You don't normally as a young person as the character is usually keep on getting serious pressure sores especially if, as he does, has sensation. Usually pressure sores occur because the person is oblivious of pain. I have no sensation, and in my 20 years have never been hospitalised with a pressure sore. However, if this book has given you an insight onto how it is another world when your suddenly find yourself in a wheelchair then it has helped.

I just worry someone newly injured or one of their loved ones will read this book and find it very negative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't understand the fuss???, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
Am usually a fan of chick lit and with all the 5* reviews thought this would be a winner but was sadly far from it. Although the questions it raises around euthanasia and a persons right to die are interesting and thought provoking, the book itself is dull. Lou is a fairly likeable character as is Will but I found their relationship very unconvincing and I was unable to feel Lou's emotions with her.
Also, as various secondary characters are given their own chapters, I think the book would've benefitted from a chapter told from the perspective of Will.
However, although I would not recommend this book, clearly hundreds of others have read and been moved by the story....hopefully you will be too!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Most people really love this book - I'm not one of them..., 3 July 2013
Ms P. E. Vernon "Verns" (Weston-Super-Mare, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
People love this book. I mean, really, really love this book. As I write this, it has 2,999 reviews on Amazon, and 2,578 of those reviews give it five stars. There are eight pages - yes, eight pages - at the start of the paperback, of rave reviews. The heavyweight papers (Telegraph, Times, Indy) like it as much as the tabloids. It's 'Irresistible', 'Genuinely moving', 'Superbly crafted'. Did I mention? People love this book.

Of those 2,999 reviews on Amazon, 76 give it three stars. Okay, make that 77 out of 3,000 reviews and count me in.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's okay. It's superior chick-lit; there are moving moments and funny moments and the characters are (mostly) likeable, but... did I care what happened to these people? No. Did I weep at the sad bits (as did most of those reviewers)? No. Will I keep the book to re-read? No. It's off to the charity shop with this one, where I'm sure somebody else will really, really love it.

The story: Louisa Clark loses her job at the café and takes a six month post as companion/carer to Will Traynor, a young man who is a quadriplegic following an accident. Will is a privileged, rich young man who had been a successful businessman and gung-ho traveller; he is devastated by his condition and wants to commit suicide: Lou comes from the other side of the tracks, lives with her parents, sister, nephew and grandfather, and has hardly ever left her small town. This is chick-lit. Fill in the gaps.

I think my main problem is with Will's character. The story is written primarily from Lou's point of view in the first person. Every now and then, the author has devoted a chapter to other characters (Will's mother, father, carer, and Lou's sister) to speak in the first person. This gives us some much-needed insight into their motivations and emotions. But where is Will's voice? He's the one disabled person in this story, which is nominally a love story but is primarily concerned with Dignitas and disabled people's right to die. So it's just a bit odd that we never get to hear what he has to say, except when filtered through able-bodied people's perceptions. The result is that I still don't know what to make of Will, or whether I care one way or another if he lives or dies. Is that a horrible thing to say? Probably. But he's only a character in a novel, so sue me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Me Before You, 5 Feb 2012
A. Lucas "bookworm" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Me Before You (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first book I have read by this author, and I don't think it will be the last! I enjoyed her style of writing, and the story was a good one - lots of emotional ups and downs. I suppose the plot was a little on the obvious side, nothing really out of the ordinary for a girlie book, but I think the sensitive issues were addressed well. I can't honestly say I think it's worthy of so many 5 star ratings though - I think there are many more deserving books of such a high rating. I did enjoy this book, but I'm not sure it will stay with me for ages, or be one that I would want to re-read. I will definitely try more books by the same author, so I guess that's praise in itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 18 Feb 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
Bought on the spur of the moment after ploughing through heavier literature and I wanted something which didn't take much concentration. I thought it was going to be a bit silly with the same old story, but actually found myself engrossed in the story and the characters. The story is sad but also uplifting in places. Reading some of the later chapters on the Tube was probably not a great idea, but i wanted to find out what was going to happen next! Overall, it was engaging, sad, funny and the story itself was something different. I don't have any experience of the issues the author addresses so can't comment on whether it's realistic, but it is not hard to imagine what you would do in a similar situation.
I would recommend this book.

Me Before You
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (Paperback - 5 Jan 2012)
3.50