5.0 out of 5 stars Physician Heal Thyself,,
Whereas I found Blue Monday to take an unconscionably long time labouring over the groundwork, firmly establishing relations with our unlikely heroine Dr. Frieda Klein, together with her sad and mostly sorry Detective pal DCI Karlsson plus other assorted damaged members of her coterie, Reuben, Josef and Olivia; this time I felt comfortably at home from the start, merely...
Published on 31 May 2012 by Katharine Kirby

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but not all bad.
This plotline of this book has potential, but for me this novel doesn't deliver on that potential.

Published 10 months ago by H. Eaton

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read …, 29 Jan. 2013
Karen Baxter (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As psychological thrillers go 'Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French' is up there with the best. The novel is the second in a new series of seven that have one of the days of the week in its title. The first in the series is 'Blue Monday' and although 'Tuesday's Gone' can be read as a standalone novel, reading Blue Monday first introduces the characters in greater detail and sets the pace for the whole series.

'Tuesdays Gone' centres on Frieda Klein a psychotherapist who is called in by DCI Karlsson to give some insight into the wild and disjointed ramblings of a disturbed and confused woman Michelle Doyce who has been discovered serving tea to the naked rotting corpse of a dead man. How did he get there and who is he?

To DCI Karlsson the case seems unsolvable, to Frieda its just another puzzle waiting to be solved.

After delving deep into Michelle's mind Frieda uncovers the possible identity of the man ... Robert Poole, a skilled and devious conman, who has many enemies and many reason's to be murdered.

Tuesday's Gone is a fast paced gritty thriller which for fans of this genre ticks all the boxes. A heroine who's past life is as mysterious as the case itself, a psychotic murderer and a particularly gory crime. What's there not to like?

I thoroughly enjoyed this latest Nicci French offering, in fact it was hard to put down and I found myself reading very late into the night or to be exact into the early hours of the morning. Tuesday's Gone is a satisfying read and leaves enough of a background mystery to make the reader want to read the next book in the series.

I for one cannot wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shaping up to be a good series, 15 July 2012
Denise4891 (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second Nicci French novel to feature psychotherapist Frieda Klein and DCI Malcolm Karlsson. I usually prefer Nicci Gerrard's solo work to her collaborations with her husband Sean French, but I have to say this series is shaping up very nicely.

The book begins with the discovery by a social worker of a naked male corpse in the flat of a mentally disturbed woman. The subsequent police investigation, led by Karlsson, sees Klein called on once again to add her psychological expertise in order to identify the murderer from amongst the many people the dead man had managed to upset.

The pairing of Klein and Karlsson is an intriguing and engaging one. He has to battle with fellow police officers at all levels in order to bring her into the investigation, and even once she proves her worth she still faces hostility and suspicion from those around her. Frieda's character develops nicely throughout the book - she appears to soften a bit but still remains something of an enigma.

As for the thorny question of whether readers would enjoy this book (the second in the series) as a stand-alone novel - well possibly, but there are so many references to the previous case that Klein and Karlsson worked on in the first book (Blue Monday), as well as unfinished business with her lover, her sister-in-law, his ex-wife and kids etc, which I personally would have found very frustrating if I wasn't familiar with the characters. Also, at the end of this book it's obvious there's going to be a theme involving one of the main characters from Blue Monday, which will run on into book 3 and possibly beyond, so on the whole I think you`d get so much more out of Tuesday's Gone by reading the books in order.

Considering the popularity of Scandi-crime at the moment (not least with me), it's refreshing to find a British thriller that I really enjoyed. Having said that, the names Frieda Klein and Malcolm Karlsson do have a distinctly Nordic ring to them! Co-incidence or clever marketing ploy? You decide :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but not all bad., 21 July 2014
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The story features psychotherapist, Frieda Klein who was introduced in the prequel to this novel (Blue Monday.) I find her an intriguing character - she's clever, mysterious, compassionate, undemonstrative, quite a loner, very direct, has her own sense of morality and loves the city of London.

Aside from her, other characters are more caricatures really and are sketched with no real depth.

In the first book I quite enjoyed the descriptions of London and the random facts thrown in ... in this book these references were real irritations to me - it felt formulaic, almost as though the authors had decided that London was to be featured prominently and these references were peppered through at regular intervals rather than skilfully weaved into the narrative.

At first the story carried me along and I zipped through the first 20 chapters. However, the 'twists' were so glaringly obvious as to be annoying and I quickly found myself bored with the book. I slogged through to the end, but it was a slog.

I wouldn't recommend this book - there are much better holiday reads around. And I'm actually saddened that Frieda Klein isn't given the storylines and high quality writing she deserves ... the ideas and the main character are there - it just all needs more finesse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subject matter..., 24 Jun. 2014
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am reading this book and have found the subject matter somewhat upsetting. I realise that I should have known that the storyline would be distressing. I am a mystery and thriller reader but perhaps this is just a little too realistic for my literary tastes. I must say that I find Nicci French to be a good writer, very descriptive and easy to follow. I am sure that there is a big demand for this style of story. I will however get back to Simon Brett and MC Beaton so you can no doubt understand my normal area of reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Curious, 26 Mar. 2013
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't read 'Blue Monday' so didn't know what to expect from the much applauded series following the career of psychotherapist, Dr. Frieda Klein. This is a curious path to follow. Her career seems to bounce from one emotional problem to another - some of them of her own making.

In the meantime, another set of curious - that word again - police people pop up because of a decaying body found in a flat by a social worker.

Not unnaturally, Dr. Klein and the curious police people get together to try to discover who's the dead body and why was it there. It's all a bit, well, curious. I couldn't really imagine such an arrangement between the police and a psychotherapist nor could I believe the reasoning behing Klein's discoveries which do, of course, lead to the eventual discovery of a murderer in their midst.

As a whodunnit, it was hardly inspiring, as a delve into the strange (I nearly said, curious) lifestyle of Klein and as a sideline in the lot of a policeman, it didn't convince.

However, if you put all that to one side and just enjoy the story for what it is, I was taken along. Klein is an oddball, her DCI Karlssn is not quite with it and her ex-husband seems strange so they all add up to a curious story with a curious outcome which makes me, strangely, looking forward to Wednesday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second outing for Frieda Klein is a great read, 23 May 2015
A decomposing corpse is discovered in the flat of a mentally incapable woman. First the search is for the identity of the man and trying to understand how he turned up in the flat. Dr Klein’s advice is sought and she leads the police to understand how the body got there. Then the search is for a name for the body but even when a name is discovered this turns out to be a fake name. The investigation turns to making some sense of the last days of the dead man in relation to his contacts under the fake name. Frieda is employed as a temporary consultant on this case and undertakes her responsibilities thoroughly although she doesn’t conform to the norm in terms of billing for expenses and so on. She is ambivalent although thoroughly involved. I liked the fact that peripheral characters from the first book showed up in the second, some with greater parts to play and while the first book brought a resolution in terms of finding the missing children other things were unresolved and these things now begin to tap on Frieda’s shoulders and engage the reader. By the end of the book, we have learned quite a lot more about Frieda and I’m curious to see where the writers go with her. I didn’t realise Waiting for Wednesday had already been released but I’ve just bought it and will be reading it next, with one interlude.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the return to form I was hoping for...., 26 Aug. 2012
This feels like a sequel to Blue Monday rather than one of a series of books featuring psychologist Frieda Klein. I liked Blue Monday although I found bits of it very silly. However, for me, Tuesday's Gone lacked the pacy, enjoyment factor of the first one. Frieda is still a great character but there were too many plot holes (spoiler alert -Janet's 'hanging' being a murder....surely forensics would have spotted that, certainly when it was done at the hands of an amateur.) And the quick, unsatisfactory ending made me think that the authors just wanted to finish the book as quickly as possibly. Nicci French are certainly talented but they seem to be on an increasingly long run of below par novels. At this rate I might have to go back and re-read their earlier stuff which I loved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and intelligent, 27 May 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Set just over a year after the end of Blue Monday, Frieda Klein is again drawn into a murder investigation by Karlsson and his team.

I don't want to give anything away about the plot as that is one of the strengths of this book. I found this instalment of what is clearly intended to be a series better written, more plausible and just generally tighter than the first book. That one had a lot of scene-setting and introductions to characters, while this one gets into its stride much faster.

I like Frieda Klein because she's spiky and uncompromising and just a little weird. The plot is intriguing, and I enjoyed the way this picks up on some of the loose ends from the previous book and makes good use of something that we know as readers but which was withheld from the characters.

There are a few small niggles: the insertions from the point of view of the unnamed `she', and Frieda's heroic dash at the end are both over-used and clichéd devices that pepper any number of crime novels.

But, those aside, this is intelligent crime writing with a nicely convoluted storyline, and I like the slightly gothic edge that is imported from Blue Monday. I enjoyed the last book but wasn't sure about the idea of a series - after reading this one, I'm hooked.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing sequel, 27 May 2012
S. B. Kelly (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Crime writers seem to vie with each other these days as to who can create the most grotesque scenario. French opens this novel with a social worker going to visit a woman with mental health problems in the East End of London. She finds the body of a naked man in her hostel room, a rotting corpse shrouded in flies. I found this over the top in a novel whose heroine works with the mind and not with putrid flesh.

DCI Karlsson, who has personal problems and is being trailed around by a management consultant (seriously? He sits in on case conferences where sensitive information is being discussed!) calls in Frieda Klein to try to get some sense out of the woman, who doesn`t seem to grasp that her `visitor' is dead. Frieda, trying to get on with her life after the departure of the first lover she had ever truly allowed to get to know her, is also struggling with a complaint made against her by the wife of a former patient, which reopens old wounds. Soon a tabloid newspaper has launched a hate campaign against her.

The dead man is intriguing, presenting himself differently to everyone he met -- clothes, name, interests -- telling them nothing about himself while learning everything about them, almost, Frieda thinks with a shiver, like a therapist. He is not, I felt, merely a con man. He's not greedy -- one old lady is leaving him a third of her estate, not all of it -- and he gives them company and care that their own families are too `busy' to offer.

There are brief, tiresome passages from the viewpoint of someone referred to only as `she' and we`re supposed to figure out, eventually, who `she' is and what part `she' plays in the story. This is a hoary old cliché of crime novels which needs to be put quietly to rest and given a decent burial. I groaned every time `she' reappeared, however brief her sections.

I recommend that you read the first of the Frieda Klein novels -- Blue Monday -- before embarking on this one, as this gives away most of the plot of the first. In fact, it carries on the plot of Blue Monday to some extent, while adding in a new scenario.

Like its predecessor, this is a page-turner. I was surprised to find after what seemed like a short reading session that I was 100 pages in, then 200. I find Frieda an interesting character and look forward to reading her future exploits. Yes, she's a loner who is happiest with her own company: that's not a crime. I had no inkling who had killed the dead man till the last hundred pages but also felt that it hardly mattered. The baddies are caught in a second hoary old cliché.

Before concluding, I want to make one last point. I do hope that the publisher has shelled out for a competent proof reader, because I have never seen a text so full of errors, certainly not in the era where novels are composed from the author's word-processing files. The most egregious is when we move suddenly from Karlsson and his sidekick to the wretched `she' without the benefit of a gap in the text. It took me a moment to realise that `she' was not the sidekick. Inexcusable! Later, a character's first name changes from Lorna to Katherine in the space of a paragraph. I wouldn't mention this, but a scan of the reviews of the finished copies of Blue Monday suggests that a lot of typos survived into the published copy. People paying good money for a book are entitled to expect better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but complex with a lot (too many??) of characters to contend with, 19 April 2013
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Tuesday's Gone by Nicci French

Prior to reading, I was not aware that this was the second in a series, the first being Blue Monday. I was still able to read this (second) book without having any difficulty, although just be warned that the plot from book one is referred to and would thereby spoil it for you if you decided to read book one subsequently.

The storyline follows Frieda Klein, a psychotherapist, who is trying to unravel the murderer of a decaying body which had been found in a flat. I did find it difficult keeping track of the many characters and was often confused as to their relationships and involvement in the story. It is probably best to read this in long periods to really keep track of the plot and various characters - I found I had to make a note of peoples names and their involvement when reading in short sections to compensate.

However, although gruesome in parts, I found this gripping novel interesting and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys an involved and complicated plot. I note that there is a third one in the series and would probably read it at some time. I would give it 3 out of 5 stars as perhaps a little too complex??

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2)
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2) by Nicci French (Hardcover - 19 July 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01