5.0 out of 5 stars Physician Heal Thyself,,
Published on 31 May 2012 by Katharine Kirby

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, but not all bad.
This plotline of this book has potential, but for me this novel doesn't deliver on that potential.

The story features psychotherapist, Frieda Klein who was introduced in the prequel to this novel (Blue Monday.) I find her an intriguing character - she's clever, mysterious, compassionate, undemonstrative, quite a loner, very direct, has her own sense of morality...
Published 9 months ago by H. Eaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Physician Heal Thyself,,, 31 May 2012
Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2) (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Whereas I found Blue Monday to take an unconscionably long time labouring over the groundwork, firmly establishing relations with our unlikely heroine Dr. Frieda Klein, together with her sad and mostly sorry Detective pal DCI Karlsson plus other assorted damaged members of her coterie, Reuben, Josef and Olivia; this time I felt comfortably at home from the start, merely passing grateful for a polite reintroduction to acquaintances who now feel like good friends. So yes, having read the first day of the week `Blue Monday', in this series was a handy help; but really you could equally enjoy `Tuesday's Gone' as a one off.

The strangest of tea parties is rudely interrupted by a visiting social worker. You may never feel the same about iced buns again. At first the possibility of a murder having been committed is uncertain, the unfortunate corpse an enigma, his personality a veritable Chinese Box of apparently unconnected discoveries. That is until Karlsson takes an interest in a funeral urn on a mantelpiece...

Once again I wanted to feign illness and remain in bed all day alone with the story, the pace of which never faltered. Addictive reading that drags you along at speed, wishing for nothing more than to work out the puzzles presented, pronto. Luckily Frieda can see what we might have missed and so doesn't get completely taken in. Her years of training and practicing psychotherapy give her inside knowledge, warning bells thankfully alerting her to a wrong'un. So much so sadly that she alone perceives a dangerous character sneakily stalking her - there is a serious matter still to be addressed in the next book, that of a missing psychopathic murderer, he who has the perfect cover and alibi, the terrifying one who has his eye on our feisty London night walking insomniac lady Dr. Her problem is in fact the greatest and it still snaps at her heels. Dr. Frieda, the 'heroine', who we are all learning to understand better, book by book.

Sharp observation proves the key to mysteries; throughout the tale a lively interest in your fellow man will be well repaid, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French do it again, they are a formidable team who know just how to keep their readers enthralled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing read, 25 Feb. 2013
N. M. Davey (North Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read Blue Monday I expected a new story about Frieda Klein......but her past keeps haunting her even as a new mystery emerges. A caseworker discovers a rotting corpse being tenderly cared for by a client. He is naked, his clothes carefully washed and is seated on the couch with a cup of tea. Frieda is brought in to try to talk to the woman as the police try to identify the body and work out what happened. But Carrie Dekker makes a complaint about how her husband Alan was used to track down the missing children, and Frieda begins to suspect Dean Reeve is still alive. The two plots interweave and I could not put the book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty and gripping., 29 Dec. 2013
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read 'Blue Monday' the first in the Frieda Klein series, this latest novel was a welcome arrival.

For anyone who missed reading the introductory book, this one stands on its own without referring back too much to Frieda's back-story. Psychologist Frieda is a tough cookie, but there are some shocks in store for the reader as more revelations are made about her. It grips from the word go, with sharp social observations about life in the UK mixed in with the murder trails.

This is particularly noticeable in describing the plight of mental health service user Michelle, being cared for in the community nominally, but falling through the net in reality. Michelle's flat is the location of the first body found, that of Poole, a confidence trickster.

It becomes clear that Frieda herself is also an intended victim of the killer, and from then on, the tension builds wonderfully - it's a cracking page turner. Towards the end it looked as if this was going to be a two - book series, but hopefully it won't spoil too much to reveal that there is likely to be a third.. or more. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars First class writing, a stunning novel---and loads more grey hair!, 26 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I should warn you, unless you read Blue Monday first, you will not get as much from this novel. Much of it refers back to events in the first novel in the series, but the main action is set in a stunning new case. Klein is determined to solve the mystery of a man found dead in a demented woman's flat. Gradually the layers peel away and the investigation takes on a whole new complexion as she discovers why he had been in the flat so long, where he came from and eventually who he was. Or was he? You are forever re-evaluating this case as it develops and new information is discovered.

I am enjoying this series. They are well written novels and are compulsive reading. The count of grey haired people continues to rise in this second volume. Is this getting to be an obsession?

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Is Out, 26 April 2013
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Tuesday's gone with the wind,
My baby's gone, gone with the wind.
And I don't know, oh, where I'm goin'.
I just want to be left alone.
When this train ends, I'll try again.
I'm leavin' my woman at home.
My baby's gone
Lynryd Skynyrd

Nicci French, the UK couple who are a writing duo, have given us the second book in the series featuring Frieda Klein. My supposition is that Nicci French is borrowing the titles of this series from rock and roll songs. 'Blue Monday' is an old Fats Domino tune, and 'Tuesday's Gone' is one of Lynryd Skynyrd's best! What will Wednesday bring?

Frieda Klein is a psychotherapist in London who has many secrets of her own. She is able to bring out the secrets her patient's harbor, but her own life is sealed. Frieda is a consultant for the police force, working with DCI Karlsson. Their's is an interesting relationship, very professional, no romance hinted at, but we find them depending upon each other. They are involved in the murder of an unknown man, found in the home of a confused, mentally incompetent woman. From this point on, a convoluted turn of events, unwinds and then winds up again. Not much is ever truly solved. Characters from the past come back to haunt Frieda. Frieda Klein is one of the more interesting characters to come along in the word of police procedural/mysteries. All of the characters in this series have complicated problems, no one is free and happy. The people who come and go also are all out of sorts. However, this series is very well written, keeps you on the edge of your seat. Some scenes and happenings are totally out of sync and unbelievable, but I can overlook those.

This was a difficult to put down novel. I find Frieda Klein to be a character that I want to follow. Too many mysteries in her life to uncover. The characters are many, their lives messy, but the minds, ah, there is the secret!

Recommended. prisrob

4.0 out of 5 stars Read Monday first then this is a cracker!, 24 Aug. 2014
Lilyfae (West Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed with this!
The gritty helplessness of the vulnerable and victimised that permeates the book coupled with the knowledgeable strong female lead reminds me of my favourite authors Tess Gerritsen and Karin Slaughter (particularly reminds me of the latter)

What seems to be a hopeless and sad case of a rotting corpse found in the parlour of a mentally and emotionally disturbed woman becomes a spiderweb of secrets and lies revealing that the victim was not an innocent victim and dare I say it, deserved what was coming to him.

Downsides?
The psychotherapist Frieda Klein does remind me of a mishmash of some of my favourite characters, the steely cold intelligence and poise of Gerritsen's Maura Isles, the expertise and investigative broken heart of Slaughter's Sara Linton and the vulnerable brilliance of MacDermid's Tony Hill, but then they say there are only so many personality archetypes and because of this I don't feel Klein is a facsimile or cheap version of these characters instead their facets bring a familiarity if not comfort to the character.
I won't give spoilers but a major element of the denouement was bloody obvious from the get go, whether this was the design of the authors to get the reader involved and feeling clever, or simply poor characterisation I cannot say, I was hoping I was wrong just because of how much more of the book I had to read but alas I was right.

I started at Tuesday not realising there was a Monday, and basically all the key elements including spoilers are repeated pretty much ad nauseoum throughout which could be a downside but it actually is setting up what I can see to be a very clever story arc across the series so I can forgive, but wish I'd read Blue Monday first.

Overall good writing, relatable and accessible characters, hooked me in quite quickly and I'm now off to order the rest of the available books!

5.0 out of 5 stars A psychological thriller which is addictive, 11 Feb. 2014
Tim from Surrey (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Tuesday’s Gone – Nicci French

The Daily Express used the word “Addictive” to describe this book, and I’d agree that it is a splendid word to use for Tuesday’s Gone.

Michelle Doyce is trying to serve tea to a man who has been dead for some time, but who killed him, and who is he? Where was he killed. Michelle is mentally unstable, and anyone talking with her can’t make any sense of what she says.

DCI Karlsson is the investigating officer, and is expected to immediately close the case. The Commissioner wants him to agree that Michelle Doyce is the killer and should be locked away in a mental institution. He’s unhappy with this, and so decides to bring in a psychologist, Frieda Klein, in the hope that she will be able to make sense of whatever words Michelle Doyce speaks.

But Frieda Klein has her own demons, and she hasn’t even begun to deal with what happened to her some time ago. A complaint has been filed from the wife of a man she had been counselling, who has since disappeared. His wife, Mrs Dekker, blames Frieda for destroying her marriage.

Frieda is so reluctant about becoming involved in the investigation, and talks it through with her mentor, Reuben. He is concerned about her involvement, but supports her. Frieda enlists the help of other specialists, and the diagnosis of Capgras’ Delusion is mentioned, which is extremely rare.

From here, all the different themes become entwined, and the reluctant Frieda becomes engulfed into trying to understand Michelle, and who this man is that has been killed. DCI Karlsson has his own difficulties – the Commissioner is unhappy that the DCI wants the investigation to be opened, as he is not satisfied that Michelle is the killer, but he doesn’t know what her involvement has been.

Overall, the book is extremely well written, in that it IS addictive; the tangents that the author creates are all linked, but she doesn’t provide any clues why they are linked, which makes even more compulsive reading. This is a superb book, and one I recommend without any reservation.

I’m sure that the book will be checked for errors – such as Detective Constable LONG become Detective Inspector LONG … how I wish for such quick promotion! Ignoring these tiny issues, I really did enjoy reading this book, and will look forward to another book by Nicci French.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuesday's Gone, 23 Nov. 2013
book fan (west yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Successful husband and wife writing team Nicci French have penned several excellent novels up to date and continue their tradition in a new series starring psychotherapist Frieda Klein. I have missed the first one Blue Monday, but found it easy to get into the second installment, a good deal of the first is explained throughout this novel so I didn't feel as though I had missed out on anything. This novel has many characters woven into an intricate plot that managed to keep my interest. Frieda Klein the therapist whom the police draw into their investigations is herself a complex person, one who I initially didn't much like, but has I became engrossed in the story she managed to grow on me. The novel leaves itself open for an obvious follow up and you realise that one character in particular is going to have unfinished business with Frieda. The book gives itself a brilliant start with the discovery of a dead man inside the home of a mentally ill woman. Found by her social worker, the deceased is found seated on the woman's sofa naked and bloated, starting to smell and with clouds of flies buzzing around him. The poor woman thinks he's her friend, she has been trying to tidy him up and ply him with cups of tea. Sounds sad, but the police can't get any sense out of her about why he came to be there in her home or who he is, so Frieda is brought into the investigations to help when murder is suspected. With many twists and turns this excellent psychological thriller kept me gripped for a while, I really enjoyed it and I look forward to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn the light on..., 5 Oct. 2013
ED Farr (UK) - See all my reviews
This is the sequel to Blue Monday by Nicci Gerard and her husband Sean French and if you liked/loved/cared for Blue Monday you won't be able to put this book down. When we met Frieda Klein in Blue Monday she was mysterious, candid and to a large extent, locked away in her own private world. I know I found myself shouting out while I read it. This is so much darker and intriguing.

Frieda is called upon by Karlsson (who she worked for in the previous novel) to work with the police again on the mystery of the dead man found as a skeleton drinking tea and eating cake in someones front room. Who was he, why was he there and perhaps stranger of all...how did he get there? Frieda initially turns down the offer to work with the police on this so mysterious a case but gradually changes her mind and uncovers a very dark, sordid and - in some places - quite scary tale of the underworld of greed, selfishness and general unpleasantness.

Although this is a sequel and I would seriously recommend reading the first instalment, there is enough in this book and it stands well enough on it's own that if you haven't read Blue Monday you will still understand this book. The characters are gripping and well drawn out, while still leaving parts private and understated. Just who is Frieda Klein behind her psychotherapist, stern exterior?

This would form a good read for anyone (but don't read it before you go to sleep, you won't be able to put the lights out, you just keep wanting to read more!) and there is enough in it for it to be a book club read too.

Go for it, you know you want to!

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing psychological thriller, 5 Feb. 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Dr Frieda Klein finds herself drawn into another mysterious case by DCI Karlsson, this time a decomposing body found in a mentally unbalanced woman's flat. Just who is this man, how did Michelle Doyce know him and how did he die... was it natural causes or murder?.. all questions that Karlsson and Klein find themselves asking throughout their investigations.

But the more they dig the more they soon discover that the victim, Robert Poole, was not the person everyone thought he was which soon leads the investigation into a completely new direction with Frieda not willing to let things lie when they seemingly had a suspect. Her gut instincts tell her that, although this man certainly had a motive, he was not Robert Poole's killer so she carries on her own investigations would could lead her into a whole lot of trouble...

One things I would say though is that I'm glad that I managed to find time to read the first Fieda Klein book, Blue Monday, before I started reading Tuesday's Gone, as there was a recap of the previous story in the first couple of chapters and a couple of the characters from Blue Monday crop up throughout this book which could have spoilt it for me.

Tuesday's Gone was a cleverly crafted story with lots of twists and turns to keep you on your toes, and an interesting cast of characters, although maybe 1 or 2 too many, which all add up to make this psychological thriller an enjoyable read. I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Frieda and Karlsson in the future so can't wait to read Waiting for Wednesday which is due to be published later this year.

Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2)
Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Novel (Frieda Klein 2) by Nicci French (Hardcover - 19 July 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01