5.0 out of 5 stars It took two books to do it, but this series has now found its feet
I remember concluding my review of "I Am Number Four" by saying I enjoyed the book, but I would not be buying the sequel. But sometimes the passage of time makes you realise that there was more that you liked about a book than the things you didn't, and overall my experience of the book was a good one. So when I found myself with the chance of receiving a free advance...
Published on 14 July 2011 by Andromeda Descendent

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good but relies too much on pure violence for me
It is an interesting premise for a story - aliens from a dying planet, with super powers, coming down to Earth to save both us and themselves. The trouble with this story is the almost complete lack of any intellectual 'powers' being used to defeat the enemy.
There is a constant string of killing throughout the story, which just becomes a bit boring after a...
Published on 15 Sept. 2011 by Amazoniac

5.0 out of 5 stars It was a gift, 12 Mar. 2013
It was for my daughter. She loves it. It arrived in plenty of time for her birthday. She requested the book

5.0 out of 5 stars great sequel, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Hardcover)
read read read! carries on perfectly and is more of the can't put it down stuff we like from this series

3.0 out of 5 stars Oops. My mistake..., 20 July 2011
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of those books which just isn't aimed at me, and if I'd flicked through it in a shop then I would have known that. But I ordered it online instead, so made a mistake with this purchase. I thoroughly enjoyed the film version of 'I am number four' and liked the sound of the plot of 'The Power of Six'. After trying the first half dozen chapters I'm sure that 'Six' is well written and likely to be entertaining -- but it's not relevant to me (40-something, normally read harder SF like Alastair Reynolds, Richard Morgan, etc), and it didn't inspire me to persevere.
This is entirely my own fault and no criticism whatsoever of the book. I suspect that it would have been entirely perfect for me-aged-15. But although I do like the overall concept, I couldn't cope with the 'kids on the run against the world' aspect of it. I've got old, obviously!
Might be worth considering this if you're also a mature sci-fi / fantasy reader...

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Lorien Legacies" series book 2, 26 Jun. 2011
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
**warning - contains spoilers**

I loved the first book in this series "I Am Number Four" and found its sequel even more thrilling. In "The Power of Six" we have two stories running in conjunction; John Smith (aka Four), his friend Sam and Six are on the run in America whilst in Spain we are introduced to number Seven; Marina.

As John, Sam and Six evade the authorities and the Mogadorians, Marina seems to be stagnating in a small convent/orphanage. Her mentor isn't training her yet Marina knows it is only a matter of time before her enemies locate her. Despite the initial lack of adventure found in Marina's life (compared to what Four and Six face) there is still a sense of urgency to these chapters. Whilst the action does predominantly follow Four and Six, Marina still finds herself in situations where she is forced to use her Legacies and proves herself as formidable as Four or Six in a fight.

The plot twists and turns at a fast pace, and with additional Loriens introduced, their Legacies are varied and cleverly used in an increasing number of exciting battles. I enjoyed the fact that unlike the first book, this isn't just John's story; instead several new characters are introduced and their own abilities could almost put John's to shame. I also liked that some secrets hinted at in book 1 are revealed, yet there is still enough mystery and unfinished business left to end on a great cliff hanger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Feb. 2013
An excellent book. I have now read the 3rd as well and can recommend all 3. It arrived very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Six, 23 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Hardcover)
Great hard back book, good follow on book from I am Number 4, a book you can't put down, recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 26 Aug. 2013
B. Smith "Brummy Bri" (The Lakes) - See all my reviews
Everything was OK with this product. I have used it regularly and it does the job asked of it fine

2.0 out of 5 stars "Number Two" in the series, so to speak, 16 Aug. 2011
Davywavy2 - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Say what you like about Amazon Vine, they are not at all partisan. After they'd had my thoughts on the execrable "I am Number Four," I wouldn't have been in the least surprised if they'd decided never to allow me within reviewing distance of anything by Pittacus Lore ever again. But no, with the latest Vine catalogue comes an invitation to review "The Power of Six," the follow up in the series. How could I resist? And so I can attest that this latest work by Lore has every quality of his previous work.

"The Power of Six" opens at the point where "I am Number Four" left off - which assumes (1) that you've already bought and read "I am Number Four" and (2) you can remember much of what happened in it. If not, you'll have to work it out yourself as you go along - a task not made any easier by the fact that Lore is now using at least two narrators. Both are written in the present tense, both have pretty much the same voice, sometimes alternating between paragraphs in the same chapter, so you find yourself reading a couple of sentences before you realise (without, however, caring much) that the narrator has changed. Even such a distinguished writer as George R.R. Martin does his reader the courtesy of heading each new chapter with the appropriate character's name as the point of view shifts. But not Lore. I can only suppose Lore thinks his characters are more complex and memorable than Martin's, so he doesn't need to. In this, however, he is mistaken.

So. John Smith, the pseudonymous narrator of "I am Number Four" is on the run - along with Number Six, Krypto the Superdog and Jimmy Olsen, Superman's Pal - actually the human character may not be called that in the book, but let's call him that, because effectively his role in this is mostly to stand back admiringly while alien superpowers (Legacies) are manifested by his friends left right and centre, exclaiming things like "Wow, that is so cool!" and "I wish I was an alien!". Like you would. Unconvincingly, Olsen makes up in determination and keenness for what he lacks in any superpowers but is neither caught in the crossfire, nor accidentally punched into a tree. Meanwhile, any one of the Legacies individually would put a character solidly into a world-class superhero team-up; super-speed, super-strength, telekinesis, invisibility ... Anyhow all the Number characters have got not one but several Legacies, new ones being introduced if the plot slows down, so an early encounter between the fugitives and the cops reads like an eight-year-old Dungeons and Dragons player's fantasy of how cool it would be to take your twentieth level party down a first level dungeon. Although the protagonists are still inept enough to be almost defeated, despite having spent years on the run, undergoing guerrilla training, etc, like junior Jason Bournes.

(The Young Bourne adventures! Now there's a pitch for a Young Adult series. Couldn't be worse than this load of tripe, in case the estate of Robert Ludlum is reading.)

Behind the attacks on the kids are the evil Mogadorians, an alien race which calls to mind Dave Langford's celebrated review of E.E. `Doc' Smith's "Lensman" books.. "Smith's politics remain as heartily Neanderthal as ever ... The aliens are so evil that you just have to wipe out the whole damn lot of them." Well, there you have the Mogadorians in a nutshell. Other than trying to kill Numbers Four, Five, Six etc I'm not sure they have any culture, philosophy or existential purpose, other than to pour out of the various levels in their [spoiler alert] secret base to be mown down like low grade monsters in Doom. The climactic fight scenes read as if they were written by someone with absolutely no muscle memory of actual fighting - "quickly, before he can react, I dodge round behind him and bring up my hand with the dagger in it," sort of thing. These people are supposed to be practised fighters. Imagine if you were to write this way about, e.g., driving a car. "Without taking my eyes off the road, I smoothly move my foot from the accelerator to the clutch and reach quickly for the gear stick."

The book ends with a standard Hollywood trope, but then you guessed that anyway. I daresay the screen adaptation of this wretched sequel is already in production. It seems to have been written with that in mind. If this book was a film, it would go straight to DVD. But, as they say in the movies, nobody ever went broke underestimating popular taste.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 13 Nov. 2014
Second part of an excellent series, appealing to young people as well as old. Great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) (Hardcover)
Didn't read this, bought it for my niece, who gave a big smile when she unwrapped it.

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies)
The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies) by Pittacus Lore (Hardcover - 23 Aug. 2011)
Used & New from: £0.01