4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but short
Published on 12 Nov. 2009 by A lady from Devon

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but marred by inaccuracies
As this book was set in a working-class area of the North in 1957, I identified closely with some of the story, as a primary school pupil from a similar background at the time.
Published on 10 April 2012 by Calderlune

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but marred by inaccuracies, 10 April 2012
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
However, I was surprised to see mention of 'burgers'. As far as my memory recalls these were only available at Wimpy bars, and they were called hamburgers, not usually available for home use. As for pizza, it must have been the 1970s before this product arrived in the UK, maybe a little earlier, but certainly not 1957.
'Environmentally-friendly', can only have been in use for the past fifteen to twenty years.
Minor points to some, but if a story is to be set in a period that readers can identify with, the whole thing is spoilt when such inaccuracies occur. An editor should have spotted this, so it's not the author's fault entirely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but short, 12 Nov. 2009
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
I am a big fan of yorkshire bred authors,mike pannett,jack sheffield to name a couple. This was my first phinn book... I found the book good fun,interesting and kept me reading(made me laugh in parts). I think a good xmas filler if needing ideas. The only downside was it was rather short. Still not bad if you like good fun fiction. I think I will stick to non-fiction in the future tho.

1.0 out of 5 stars A load of tripe?, 14 Feb. 2012
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
There are so many inaccuracies in this book that make it really irritating! The 'story' is supposedly set in the 1950s, but how many 'ordinary' people thought about having a conservatory or a shower? Bearing in mind that the average wage was around £10-£12 a week, would Mrs Sewell have given £5 each to Jimmy and Iggy ? Would a school day trip have cost 'only a few quid' ? Did we talk then about things not being environmentally friendly? use plastic carrier bags or buy frozen cakes ?

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 2 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
As usual from Gervase a lovely well written book, but oh so short it could almost be a chapter, shame, I think any future books from him will bought at a shop where I can see how long they are! Really not worth the money, but enjoyable to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Christmas oresent, 25 Jan. 2014
As ever Gervase Phinn at his best! Lived all his books and anxiously await his next! I would advise anyone with a sense of humour read these books

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good read and lovely humour., 4 April 2013
this book is a really good read but then again anything by this author is extremely good. I would recommend it to any audience of any age. It has great innocent humour.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Load of Old Tripe, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
Gervase Phinn's book, A Load of old Tripe, was a present for my elderly mother, so I'm giving her opinion of it. She thought it was ok, an easy read but probably more enjoyable for younger people or those connected with schools.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, 1 Jan. 2010
Mr. R. B. Hughes "799roger" (Peterborough UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
Brought this book thinking it just might be a good read, but it turned out not what I expected, I really did not appreciate the story to be honest, its a shame because I have great respect for the writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXcellent Service, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
"A Load of Old Tripe" what an excellent book. Bought for a 97yr old lady, she is still laughing at some of the stories. Well done. Delivered very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Load of Old Tripe, 5 Jan. 2010
L. Burman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Load of Old Tripe (Hardcover)
A great book with nostalgic (but still current in some places)issues. Humourous as well as touches of sadness. A great read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A Load of Old Tripe
A Load of Old Tripe by Gervase Phinn (Hardcover - 5 Nov. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01