5.0 out of 5 stars A winner
As usual Clive Cussler has produced another winner. Introducing a new set of 'heroes' it was very hard to put down, always wanting to know what what over the page. I look forward to the next one.
Published on 26 Feb 2010 by Dawn Edwards

2.0 out of 5 stars Garbage!
This book is dreadful! But I still finished it!?

I can't explain why I did, but I did. I have to put it down to the fact that it was SO bad that I wanted to see what was bad on the next page.

Published on 9 Feb 2011 by M. H.

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner, 26 Feb 2010
Dawn Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Garbage!, 9 Feb 2011
This book is dreadful! But I still finished it!?

Like other reviews here I became very annoyed with the constant, overly specific "Sam checked on his iPhone..." and "Then they both checked on their iPhones" or "She used the MacBook Air..." Apple product placements. And it wasn't just Apple either - every bit of tech, boat, or car in the book was very specifically noted like this. Perhaps the next book he'll supply the full model numbers too so we can shop for things with our iPhone shopping app.

Then there were the continuous new characters who all spoke perfect English. One of my favorites was the opener from one of the main protagonists: "Bonjour, parlez-vous anglais?", and the response was "Yes I do, but your French is amazing!" WTH!? Even I can say that and it's the only bit of French I know! Apart from croissant. Anyway...

Oh yes, and this is my favorite bit: All the Russian gangsters that are chasing them? They don't speak Russian! No, they speak Russian-accented English! Amongst themselves. The heroes are forever overhearing the Russians talking to themselves and it's always in Russian-accented English. Ridiculous.

Don't get me started on the plot holes. There are so many that it makes the entire story obsolete by page 20.

And then there is the use of 'shined'. I lost count of the amount of times it was written, such as "They shined their torches up the tunnel...". Is this good English? I'm pretty sure it isn't. 'Shone' is good English, 'Shined' isn't. Not in this tense.

And he wrote himself into the book! Apparently this is common with CC. I think it's another indication that a 10-year old wrote this book for their Creative Writing project. In fact, this book reminds me of exactly that - one of the awful stories I wrote at junior school that my mum keeps in a drawer.

This book IS a page-turner, but only because you want to see how bad it gets on the next page. Honestly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by annoying heroes, 11 Feb 2010
J. Reeve (Bristol, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) (Hardcover)
I was looking forward to this latest Cussler offering, as the married couple storyline sounded different to the usual NUMA/OREGON concept of a massive, well equipped organisation. I was wrong! The married couple are millionaires, with all sorts of assistants and resources to help them in their adventure. Not only that, they are so knowledgable/fearless/skilled (eg, expert pilot, expert diver, expert rock climber etc) that they would give James Bond an inferiority complex! Their wisecracking in the face of danger merely comes across as smug, rather than an attempt at levity in a perilous siuation.
As a reader, I found myself unable to identify with the heroes Sam and Remi, which meant that I never really got concerned for them in their life and death adventure. I shall continue to buy the Fargo series of novels as I do with all of Cussler's output, but this was a missed opportunity to do something a little different.

2.0 out of 5 stars spartan storyline, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) (Hardcover)
I was quite looking forward to this story coming out, however when it arrived and began to read it there is only one word to describe it, Poor. This in my opinion is NOT up to Cusslers and his collaborators usual standard of intrigue and plot twists. Sure it has its obligatory megalomaniac bent on causing havoc and mayhem , but the good guys are just too nice and lucky, everything happens to them just in the nick of time, whether its avoiding the bad guys or finding an artifact. As for the bad guys ther were either sociopaths or just stupid, it was all just too contrived for me. Save you money on this one for something better.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit less cliched than previous offerings but...., 22 Mar 2010
This review is from: Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) (Hardcover)
....still not really there. I do like most of Cusslers' books, but they make the Reacher series look believable. They're good fun though, and despite a few research failures and horrendous liberties taken with non American contemporary culture characteristic of nearly every book in every Cussler series, this one is as good as any. If you've liked his other offerings, you'll probably like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a new series too far, 23 April 2010
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) (Hardcover)
Okay, I'll admit I was fairly sceptical about this one going in. Cussler's novels have, excluding The Chase, been heading downhill for a while now, and starting yet another new series, with yet another 'co-author' (I assume this is like Clancy, where the big name comes up with an idea and the little name does the hard work of actually writing it). The beginning backed up my idea - the main characters, Mr & Mrs Fargo, are conveniently and unbelievably rich in order to fund their treasure hunting lifestyle, and have a set up not all that unlike the Corporation in Cussler's Oregon Files series - a team of computer whizzes to back them up, training in black ops and the old friend in the CIA.

It started a little cringe worthy - the characters are two dimensional and have very little that I can identify with (except that they own iPhones, and more on that later), and just don't feel natural - they are very much like film characters - there's nothing going on inside their heads, and it's all action and no emotion. There's a dynamic between them, as always with the double-header Cusslers (Pitt/Giordino, Austin/Zavala. Dirk/Summer), and that they are married makes it a little more personal, but in places gets too annoying. One of the running gags involves Sam saying 'aren't I always' and Remi replying 'except that time when' - once is cute but it happens again and again.

In a similar vein, everywhere the characters travel they greet a local in the local language and ask them if they can speak English - exactly the same exchange just in a different language - and every time the person can speak it perfectly. Really irritating. Another irritating repetition is that every settlement is referred to as 'home to x number of souls', which to me seems an utterly bizarre way to give population data.

The novel spends a lot of time dealing with history, which is informative and possibly vital to the plot but there is too much of it - it's like every little section starts with a mini-essay on the background of the part of the world, and it's just too educational. There are also technological errors - one moment they talk on their iPhones, the next they have to navigate by 'dead reckoning' as they have no GPS, then the next they explicitly mention that their iPhones have GPS. As an iPhone user that really grated.

However, towards the end of the novel things begin to get better. The history begins to tail off and the action too after a point, leaving the plot more gripping - however the whole thing seems to speed up as well. The Fargos spend a good part of the novel working out the solutions to the first few clues, but then it takes barely any time at all to race through the last couple (and the earlier plot point about the clues not being in sequence is forgotten), which seems like the author hasn't planned these parts as well.

There's a second Fargo book coming later this year, but I'm not yet convinced that they live up to the Cussler mantle - I don't know if his novels have gone downhill or I'm just growing out of them, but since Atlantis Found things seem less believable. I'll wait and see how I feel before ordering the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 16 Sep 2009
MK Bracegirdle "bracey3724" (Hindley, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Yet again a winner, I always wonder if these collaborations really work but in this case it really does, if you like Clive's other works you will love this, adventure of the highest order with the usual Cussler twists.

1.0 out of 5 stars a big disappointment, 17 Mar 2010
Judith A. Kay "tammie norie" (Huddersfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) (Hardcover)
This book is unbelievably poor. I shall recycle it as soon as possible. It seemed as if it had been cut down so much, heroes left in cliffhanger situations at the end of chapters then sipping drinks an hotel balconies on the next page with the briefest of explanations as to how they escaped the heavy mobs. Not Cussler at his best.Sam and Remi do not come over well as heroes in the Cussler vein, much of the book was filled with descriptions of the equipment etc they used, good advertising for the manufacturing companies, but little else.

3.0 out of 5 stars As sponsored by Apple..., 7 Feb 2012
This was a good, fun adventure for a pre-bedtime read. Not at all strenuous on the brain HOWEVER I was driven slightly mad by the constant mentions of Apple products (Iphone, Macbook Air etc etc) that the two heros and team used - and guess what the baddies had... a Blackberry. Seriously - is Clive being paid for product placement?

5.0 out of 5 stars Spartan Gold, 25 Nov 2011
All Clive Cussler books are brilliant, try and start at the begining of his series and you will not be dissapointed

Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure)
Spartan Gold (Fargo Adventure) by Clive Cussler (Hardcover - 7 Jan 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01