5.0 out of 5 stars A great book by a wonderful man
I loved this book. I have been eagerly awaiting it ever since I read Moab is my Washpot which was wonderful, but left you wanting more. Well I still want more because this book only takes you up to 1987. Nevertheless it is a fantastic combination of funny stories, brutal honesty about himself, loving descriptions of the people he met along the way, a description of...
Published on 23 Sept. 2010 by LadyD

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather upsetting
Like many other readers, I loved Moab when I first read it about 10 years ago, and I still do re-read it now. Given SF's ability as a writer, both in memoir, articles ('Paperweight') and novels, I was really looking forward to more of the same oblique wit in The Fry Chronicles. Alas! I was disappointed. To put it simply, there are far too many words, and not enough...
Published on 16 April 2013 by Stravaganza

‹ Previous | 124 25 2633 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Moab it ain't - somewhat sneery, 3 Jun. 2011
Puskas "Mortensen" (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fry Chronicles (Hardcover)
Yes, I remain a fan of this national treasure and polymath, and I can forgive him his luvvie-strewn prose because these are the circles in which he moves. What I disliked intensely, and the reason I cannot forgive him, were the sneering paragraphs mentioned by other reviewers, where he displayed smugness abounding and then apologised for sounding rather more intellectually and fiscally privileged than mere mortals, even ordinary redbrick middle class types like moi. One paragraph in particular sticks in my throat, where he tells how much money he had earned from certain early forays into television, and says, in short, 'I'm all right Jack because I've never known how absolutely beastly and horrid it is to have money worries, and that must be so terribly dire, but it's not something with which I will ever need to concern msyelf. La di da!'

Where Moab endeared me to Mr Fry, this volume makes me wise to his failings as a human.

1.0 out of 5 stars Price Fix, 11 Jan. 2011
Having just bought a Kindle, the first book I bought (other than the free ones) was Moab. I have just finished it and was obviously looking to continue to the next book... Moab was just under £3, About right for an older book, but this... this is more than £12! That's more than the hardback! The publishers are price fixing and as such will not be getting my money. A friend has offered to lend me his paperback version, which I will do instead of being ripped off by these greedy, short sighted fools. If the price fixing isn't stopped I fear I will have to sell my Kindle too - if any one will buy it! Sad, sad state of affairs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 23 Feb. 2015

M. A. Lazecka "ania" (bristol, uk) - See all my reviews
boring book

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry Chronicles, 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Fry Chronicles (Paperback)
I bought this book as I like Stephen Fry and most of his shows, however, I found this book
to be quite a joy, some parts made me laugh. It really tells you a side of Stephen that I
did not know.

All in all, best book I have read. Really woth the time and money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull., 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Fry Chronicles (Paperback)
Dull. Having enjoyed his first two autobiographies I was excited to get this. How disappointed I was. There first part is a reprise of the previous books. The last 50% copies from a repetitive diary from 1993. That left about 10% of interest. I got to the end and felt sad

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Like A Good Read, 28 Dec. 2010
Gayl MacKinnon (Lanarkshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fry Chronicles (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband as a Christmas gift and he loves it. He immediately opened it to look at all the pictures, lol. He hasn't actually started to read it yet but I know it will be a good read and funny as well. Stephen Fry has a wonderful, witty sense of humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars The fry chronicles, 7 May 2013
I love the pure 'fryness' (is that a word?) of the book. My first ebook purchase and i love the instant dictionary, saves carrying the extra book around :-D I did pay the extra £2 for the video add on but so far have been unable to make that bit work! So a little frustrated

‹ Previous | 124 25 2633 | Next ›

The Fry Chronicles
The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry (Hardcover - 13 Sept. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01