4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I thought!
I think my expectations were way to high when I bought this! As a very busy (and desperate) mum of 4, I thought it would solve all my mealtime dilemmas!

Published on 12 April 2012 by mummyto4

3.0 out of 5 stars not so family friendly
Published on 7 July 2010 by Country Girl

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as I thought!, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Fay's Family Food: Delicious Recipes Where One Meal Feeds Everyone. Whatever Age! (Hardcover)

There are some really tasty meals and goodies in here, and I love the style in which it is written, but the meals aren't economical for larger families and involve a lot of nuts, fish and lamb which are a bit of a no-no in our house.

The meals will suit other families down to the ground, just not ours! I advise having a skim through his book at what recipes are in here before you buy.

I gave it 4 stars for the way it is written, very straight forward recipies and I am looking forward to trying some of the recipes. I think if I hadn't been expecting miracles then I would of been more impressed!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reasons to buy this book, 26 July 2010
10 reasons to buy this book (in no particular order):

1. The recipes are all very tasty*
2. The recipes are easy to make
3. The portion sizes are generous but not ridiculous
4. Fay doesn't add alcohol to any of her recipes (unlike other 'family' chefs)
5. Minimal washing-up afterwards i.e. you are not left to clearing up 10 pans and 40 utensils by the end of the night.
6. She provides pictures with all her recipes (don't laugh but I like to know what I'm aiming for aesthetically if nothing else)
7. She tells you how to make the recipes baby and toddler friendly
8. The preparation and cooking times are actually accurate
9. The intros are endearing and amusing. It is not pretentious.
10. The balance of recipes is good (very well laid out)

*I am an unenthusiastic cook at the best of times, yet I have been inspired to try out 6 recipes in 8 days. Nigella, Jamie and even my beloved Bill Granger have been unable to whip me into such a frenzy of activity. All 6 recipes were a success I might add.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 20 Jun 2011
I really like this book. There are some lovely recipes, including the Sweet Carrot Soup, Butternut Squash Soup, Bay Bird (chicken), Lemon Drizzle cake, Steak and Chips, Orange and Ginger Chicken Casserole, Potatoes Dauphinoises, to name a few.

The recipes are well-presented and easy to follow. I appreciate Fay's sense of humour so enjoy a chuckle when reading the book. The photos are lovely and encourage you to give the recipes a go. I'd agree with other reviewers who say the recipes aren't cheap - this is definitely "Yummy Mummy", metropolitan cooking and I therefore wouldn't expect to be cooking one of them each day. I also haven't in practice found that many of the recipes work for the whole of our family (which includes a 4 year old and a 1 year old) but no matter, the recipes are still lovely.

A final comment on the cake recipes: these rely heavily on plain flour (no self-raising flour to be seen) and I have therefore found them tricky, other than the Lemon Drizzle cake, which contains a lot of (expensive) ground almonds.

In summary: great book but be aware that the recipes are not budget options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cookbook I've bought in ages!, 3 May 2009
I never normally submit a review for books but I have been so impressed with this book! The simple philosophy of healthy ingredients adapted to meals to suit the whole family is fantastic. The recipes are simple and don't involve huge lists of ingredients or complex processes. The recipes are all appealing and Fay's light hearted and unpretentitious text refreshing and friendly. The dishes I've made from it are the best things I've made in ages- this book has definitely helped me get my cooking mojo back. Well done Fay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically brilliant, 29 April 2009
L. L. G. Newhouse (London) - See all my reviews
Love this - I don't have kids, but my boyfriend certainly has enjoyed everything I've cooked from it so far! really simple + easy to find ingredients. Loved the little quirky twists - the cumin in the orange and ginger casserole makes it taste really brilliant and the spinach is a lesson how to make a tricky vegetable more interesting and basically delicious.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so family friendly, 7 July 2010
I'd seen Fay on several TV programmes promoting this book but was disappointed when I received it. I was expecting recipes that would be particularly good for children. I have twin 1 year olds, an 8 year old and 10 year old so I'm looking for recipes that can feed us all easily and economically. I didn't find much that I would give to the 1 year olds or that the older children like. I might use cheese on toast with pesto, beef stroganoff and chicken and ham pie. But not cashew nut and pomegranate salad, garlic spinach or steak & chips. The book is ok, but I was expecting more traditional family recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 13 May 2009
S. S. Broom (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
I'm a bit of a cookbook demon and usually buy a couple a month but they end up next to my bed as nighttime reading material! However, I bought this book on Friday and I've cooked something from it everyday so far!! Its fab....uses "normal" ingredient but sometimes in a quirky way. As Fay said on Saturday Kitchen - if you want to cook for your family, buy this book - if you want to cook for a dinner party, buy something like James Martin cookbook.

Definately a book that will be staying in my kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Amos loves this book!!, 30 April 2009
K. L. Burge (Cardiff, S Wales) - See all my reviews
This book is fantastic! It works because Fay keeps it real. No nonsense food that's simple, quick & nutritious. I have many celeb chef books at home and they're not a patch on this one. I love the original ideas with everyday food stuff. If you're thinking of buying this item, hit 'add to basket' now - you won't regret it.
And to Fay, I would simply say ' I really hope you're writing another one soon because I'm a fan' :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars FAY'S AMAZING FAMILY FOOD, 1 May 2009
My kids can be fussy eaters especially when it comes to fish - I was amazed when they ate mackeral for the first time and loved it. There are so many imaginative ideas and great recipes for all the family. It is without question the best family cookbook I have ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple - but tasty, 1 May 2009
I have loads of really good cookbooks - Tana Ramsay, Rachel Allen and Jo Pratt - to name a few of my favourites, and although I still really love those, I can see this becoming my absolute favourite. As a mum of three toddlers and working fulltime, this looks ideal - nothing too fancy, but still tasty and 'do-able'! A bit wary when I pre-ordered it - but no regreats here.

13.60