5.0 out of 5 stars Like recipes from your best mate.
Published on 20 Aug 2009 by Flower petal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
I'm afraid this book was a let down. With a title 'in the mood for entertaining' I was expecting food with more of a 'wow' factor. (most of) These recipes are things I have been cooking since i was a young teenager (in other words I have been cooking for a fair amount of time and I now look for recipes that will challenge me). I did not expect to find a recipe for...
Published on 27 May 2010 by Jo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Like recipes from your best mate., 20 Aug 2009
This review is from: In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion (Hardcover)
Recipes aside, what I like about Jo is her entirely unpretentious, down-to-earth attitude to her writing and recipes. You can tell the recipes were tested and re-tested carefully for success at home and this book is among very few recipe books I refer to time and time again (along with her first book "In the Mood for Food"). I have alot of recipe books from which I will make 2-3 recipes max and therefore earning them a place on the shelf, but I've made at least 6 and not only do they taste great, they LOOK exactly like the pictures (even when half-way through a recipe I'm convinced it's not!). I, not only rate a writer on how a recipes tastes, but also on consistency and reliability of the recipes which is the true test of a good book. Please don't be fooled into thinking that these recipes are only for entertaining. Her midweek recipes are great for everyday eating and I love the fact she has recipes for 2 to many servings and quick and simple to "pimped up" dinner party. Nothing, however, is overly difficult or obscure. Great recipe book, highly recommend and please bring out another one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me want to entertain every night!, 6 Sep 2009
Unlike other reviewers I don't own In The Mood For Food (yet), and I'd never read the author's features in Glamour but as I was in search of more ideas of food to dish up to guests, I bought this book.

It's a fantastic read - engaging and charming.
The design is beautiful, although definitely aimed at girls despite the inclusion of a chapter on food for a Boys' Night In.
And the recipes? Easy (the ones I've tried were, anyway...), inspiring and delicious.

Now I'm pestering all my pals to come round pronto, so I can impress them with Jo's genius. A must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 30 May 2009
I have a been a huge fan of Jo's previous book 'In The Mood For Food', and have been looking forward to her follow up with much anticipation.

It's really fabulous, a truly worthy successor, fantastic recipes for family, gatherings, dinner parties or even just the two of you. The photography is really stunning, light, bright and cook-me-now-delicious. I would like to cook more than half the book(!), and I will even give some of her menu suggestion a go - I usually mix and match myself.

The recipes are so now, up to date and really just the kind of things I'd like to cook for my family and friends. A real credit to Jo's cookery skill is that she even makes first courses not just maneagable but things you'd like to eat. If you bought In The Mood For Food and are wondering about this one, buy it (I'm not on commission, promise!)it's just so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrumptious!, 19 Jan 2010
I was given this book as a present and I love it! Jo's relaxed style and warmth come through in this book. I would'nt say that the book is specifically for "entertaining" occasions, lots of recipes can be used day to day. The book is split into helpful chapters from casual suppers with friends to "themed" dinner parties. I like the way that Jo suggests menus to compliment each other along with wine suggestions. There are also fabulous photos that make you want to eat the food!

I've made a few of the dishes: scallops with smoky leeks, Italian lamb shanks, choc & mascapone tarts, fruity flapjacks, the recipes are pretty easy to follow and am looking forward to trying lots more - a definite winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fabulous entertaining, 18 Dec 2009
Marand (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The recipes are straightforward and pretty quick to prepare, with clear instructions, and the suggested preparation times are reasonably accurate too. Whilst there are lots of lovely savoury recipes, I have to say that it was the desserts which attracted me in the first place. I am not as confident in this area but there are plenty of simple but delicious desserts - a lovely, light chocolate & orange mousse, cappuccino pannacotta with a gorgeous hazelnut syrup made from Frangelico liqueur, molten chocolate orange puddings - simple to make and with a gooey chocolate centre, chocolate, mascarpone & raspberry tarts and wonderfully easy individual lime & passion fruit cheesecakes.

A couple of soups are worth mentioning - a warming roast pumpkin & sage soup (there is a recipe for parmesan scones to go with it), and a terrific leek & white bean soup with sage butter - my weekly veg box arrived on the same day as the book and included a couple of leeks, and with everything else needed already in the cupboards I was able to put the recipe to immediate use.

Normally I wouldn't bother with preparing anything fancy for breakfast - shop bought croissants have been the limit. However I saw a ridiculously easy recipe for maple, pecan & sultana pastry swirls and tried it out - the swirls will be appearing at Christmas for my guests. The recipe is so simple but elevates breakfast/elevenses from a `take on fuel' situation to a social event where your guests feel it's a little bit special. I have some other cookbooks with lots of breakfast/brunch recipes (notably Bill Granger's books) and I am now inspired to expand the breakfast repertoire further.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great selection of menus, 11 Feb 2010
Mrs. Ruth Mann (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
I borrowed this book from a colleague and was so impressed by the recipes that I just had to buy my own copy. The mushrooms risotto is devine - as is the chocolate/mascarpone tarts. I cooked a three course meal with recipes just from this book - saves having to hunt through other books.

I rate this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 21 Dec 2009
I bought this book after seeeing recipes from it on a few blogs but to be honest I wasn't sure if I would actually use it that often as I don't entertain all that much. How wrong was I? This is not a book that will just sit on your kitchen shelf gathering dust, you will actually use it.
Most of the recipes are suited to just use on a normal weekday or weekend when it is just the family. All the recipes are simple, nothing too overly complicated. The recipes I have tried so far have all gone down well in my house even with the children.
I like the way Jo has set the book into menus but in my opinion I think you can easily mix and match all the recipes in the book to suit your own or your guests tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book from Jo Pratt - buy it!!, 19 Nov 2009
Ms. C. V. Blunt "cazla" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
I have Jo's previous book, In the Mood for Food, which I love and have cooked a lot of recipes from so I was eager to try this. As you would expect from the title a lot of the recipes are mostly suited to dinner parties or when you are not rushing to prepare a meal in 30 minutes, but there are still a fair few suitable for weekday meals. Plus there are recipes for cakes,biscuits, chocolates and drinks. So far I have cooked the Chocolate and Chilli brownies, the Chocolate Crunch chocolates and made the Elderflower, Apple and Gin cocktail. All three things have turned out brilliantly, the brownies were the best I have ever tasted and were very easy to make and the chocolate crunches were also incredibly easy to make and went down a storm. The book is beautifully presented and will make you want to start cooking straight away. If you only buy one cookery book this year, personally I'd make it this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It!!, 16 July 2009
This is a beautiful book, so much so I bought it for a gift and ended up keeping it! (I have bought another one for the intended recipient). The recipes are easy to follow, beautifully photograped and most importantly things that you would actually want to eat. I cannot recommend the scallop and pancetta linguine enough!!

Buy it, you will not regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous pics, do-able recipes, 8 Mar 2010
A Kid's Review
i love this book. the pictures are lovely and i love thelayout. i actually prefer it to her first book. when at first i didnt.
i just love the layout and i love the fact she has foods for autumn and bonfire night...no one ever does!
and brill ideas for new years..
buy the book , its ace!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion
In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion by Jo Pratt (Hardcover - 4 Jun 2009)
16.00