4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic food but beware of the 'prep' times!
Published on 12 Nov 2007 by Mrs. R. Whitehead

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but low on vegetarian dishes
Published on 6 April 2010 by R. Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic food but beware of the 'prep' times!, 12 Nov 2007
Mrs. R. Whitehead (Hertford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a dress Size (Paperback)
Having just bought this book, I have already made 3 of the recipes with great success. Certainly can't fault the taste of the food - but a warning - the lasagne for example - claims 15 minutes 'prep' time....Perhaps if you had an army of servants doing all the chopping, slicing and dicing that could be true (which those 4 girls probably do have!) For me, a not-incompetent cook, it took about 90 minutes 'prep' time - and I even enlisted the help of my blender! So I would highly recommend the food - but take the prep times with a large pinch of (unallowed) salt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, 24 Aug 2007
I watched the TV programme and thought, I must have the book as the food looks and sounds soooo good. After purchasing the book and trying some receipes I was right, I don't think you can say that about many diet books on the shelves today. I am not normally one for cook books but I believed this would be different and how right I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only cook book I've ever really cooked from!, 22 Aug 2007
L. M. George (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book at the weekend after watching the show on Channel Four. I'm always slightly sceptical when it comes to cook books because usually I spend lots of money on a glossy thick book , open it up , and find there's only one or two dishes I actually would like to eat , and then I have none of the ingredients! This book it totally different. It's all the classics that we eat anyway , fish and chips , roast chicken dinner , tomato soup etc... except that the recipes have been created with slimming in mind.

So far I have made the steak and kidney pie and the chicken tikka massala , and I have to say I am impressed. Both dishes were very tasty and filling , and certainly didn't feel like "diet food" . I'm planning on making the roast chicken on Sunday (with roasted new potatoes and gravy!) , and the ingenious lasagne made with corgette slices as well. I cannot wait to try the chocolate orange tiramasu!

All of the main courses are around five hundred calories , and there are tips on how to either beef it up , or cut down even further if you want to.There are also sections on calorie counts and general everyday tips for snacks and drinks , as well as some realistic advice on exercise.

I really admire the ethos of this programme , and I am suprised it has not been done before. I have to say though the programme is not as good as the book , which really does have some great recipes and tips. As others have said , the proof will be when I have lost that stubborn dress size using these recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars made me want to cook and diet!, 5 Feb 2008
I bought this book about 2 weeks ago and have incorporated the recipes in to my all new calorie counting life style to get rid of that extra stone before summer (thought i'd try now instead of panic come june!) and i must say i'm not much of a cook and not much of a dieter but these recipes are absolutely yummy. my favourites are the carbonara, the mexican burgers and the chocolate and orange tiramsu which is only 217 cals.This book offers no fads (tried every diet from low carb to eating for your blood type!) just lovely low cal recipes which are even nicer than their full fat counterparts.
Best of all been following their low cal alternatives and lost 5lb in two weeks without once feeling hungry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook Yourself Thin, 9 Sep 2007
Not just a cookbook & definitely not another fad-diet. This is more of a lifestyle book showing you that small changes will make big differences. By cooking and preparing your food from scratch you can control what goes in, not a new concept of course :), but one that we need reminding of occasionally. It highlights the dangers of relying on fast food /ready meals all the time and compares the calorie contents. I love that they don't deny their food has calories, but shows you that just changing a few meals will really make a difference.

Written with humour, this inspired & delightful book is packed full of top tips & real hearty food, without compromising on portion size. None of the recipes require you to be an expert chef & many of the ingredients are things you'll already have lying around. It just requires you to begin to see cooking as a pleasure rather than a chore, something you chose to do rather than have to do.

The `Soups' section of the book is my favourite. Soups are so quick & easy to make. They are a great way of getting many of your 5 portions of veg in per day, as well as being really filling. The `Luxury Fish Pie' & `Healthy Roast Dinner' are also rather appealing. The `Side Dishes' are a bit flat & boring but the `Desserts' section is something I can't wait to try out, especially that `Beetroot Chocolate Fudge Cake' [sounds bizarre, I know, but looks really yummy].

I've enjoyed watching the show too. The recipes are really easy to follow & it's always nice to watch someone else's `drop a dress size' journey. Also that the show & book encourages exercise as well as a change in eating habits which I think is an essential part of becoming healthier & loosing weight. Dieting alone is never enough & usually the reason the most people quit after seeing no immediate differences. Page 63 has some exercise ideas that will burn around 100 calories e.g. 25 Mins Dancing or 20 Mins of Sex. :)

My advice is: Throw away those bland Gillian McKeith style extremist recipes of `Do's & Don'ts' & indulge a little by treating yourself to `Cook Yourself Thin'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but low on vegetarian dishes, 6 April 2010
This book has a lot going for it and deserves praise. HOWEVER, it doesn't contain a single vegetarian main meal. I'm disappointed because I think this is (a) pretty much expected nowadays and (b) a great shame considering how low in calorie yet nutritious many vegetarian meat substitutes, soya products, pulses and vegetables are. I recommend Ainsley Harriott's Low Fat Meals in Minutes for some fantastic veggie meals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying but a few problems, 31 Aug 2007
There's some great tips in here and I especially like the lower calorie alternatives to favourite snacks. I've been dieting most of my life and thought I knew it all about healthy eating but I have learned lots of new things. It was a very shrewd move having versions of the classics and I absolutely cannot wait to try the banoffee pie.

I made the lemon and almond cake which annoyingly and inexplicably isn't in the book but you can find it on the website. The taste was great but it hardly rose, certainly not as much as the one featured in the show. I had to let the lemons cool down for a while after cooking otherwise the mixture would 'cook' in the bowl but the recipe doesn't mention this and there's bound to be some novice cooks who put the lemons straight from the hot saucepan into the bowl with the mixture.

As has been noted, gas marks would have been nice.

Ladies, if you get to read this, it's rather frustrating there are no vegetarian dishes in the main meals and meals with friends sections. A few token recipes would have been welcome.

I look forward to trying out more of the recipes in this and the inevitable next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great buy!!!, 10 Sep 2007
K. Rogers (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Neither am i in the habit of writing reviews, but for this book i will make an exception. I hadn't seen the series but based on the reviews i went ahead and brought the book. Really lovely cookbook and everything seems very easy with most ingredients being store cupboard items or found easily in a supermarket.

I am a weightwatcher so am always looking for good low fat recipes, for all you fellow weightwatchers, go buy it - its great for us. The only thing for me it is missing is the saturated fat in recipes, makes it a whole lot easier for us to calculate.

I have made the chocolate truffles and the strawberry and honey cream tart. OMG - how good were they. I have never professed to having any vocation in the kitchen yet these turned out fab. cant wait to get stuck in to the main meals!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook I've ever bought!, 6 Oct 2008
First saw this cookbook in my sister's house and asked her to photocopy me a few recipes so I could try them...by the end of the week I'd cooked them all so decided to buy it for myself! We both cooked a three-course meal from this book for our other halves and it was empty plates all round - a good sign that this is tasty food that just happens to be healthy!I've made about 20 things so far and they've all been gorgeous. None of it is rocket science, just simple substitutions and hints for food you would make every day. Carbonara is one of my husband's favourite dinners and now he prefers this version.

Examples of recipes are:
Boursin,pancetta and chive omelette
Sundried tomato and black olive dip
Chicken Caesar salad with Melba toast (dressing tastes exactly like real Caesar but so much healthier!)
Pepperoni and parmesan pitta pizzas
Tomato chilli and basil soup
Hot and spicy chicken soup (amazing!)
Thai green prawn curry with fragrant rice
Healthy roast dinner
Chicken tikka masala
Ho fan beef noodles (another favourite!)
Lasagne
Maple glazed pork with garlic and olive oil mash
Potato skins with guacamole and salsa
Lemon meringue mess
Orange and chocolate tiramisu
Banoffee pie pots
Passion fruit Margaritas
Mandarin Bellinis

I can honestly say I use this book most nights of the week and have cooked for many people using these recipes - no complaints yet! Looking forward to the new book coming out! Although for people who are buying it in the hopes of shedding pounds I can't say I've lost any weight, but I'm not really trying to. On the plus side, I can still make new dishes every day (including deserts) and not put on any weight, which can be a problem with some other cookbooks that use loads of butter and full-fat ingredients. This book is so simple to use and the ingredients are all mainstream things that are easy to find in any supermarket. A must for any kitchen!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy, 23 Aug 2007
C. Egan "CE" - See all my reviews
I cooked the low fat carbonara from this book last night, it was really really nice and I was scepitcal when I saw the ingredients. My boyfriend cooked the Mexican burgers the night before, we are addicted, the recipies are so tasty. Its too early to notice any weight loss but really enjoying the food so far. Chicken kebas on the menu tonight !!

Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a dress Size
Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a dress Size by Sophie Michell (Paperback - 10 Aug 2007)
10.49