5.0 out of 5 stars Honest to goodness cooking
I was a real sceptic to cookbooks a few months ago. 'It's alright for these celebrity chefs', I would say, 'It's their job to cook up gastronomic epics. We just don't have the time or money for it.'
Published on 12 Jan 2008 by Paul Everdark

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little inconsistent
I have had this book for years now and there are a few recipes that are real stalwarts and I use them time and again and these are the reason I keep the book on my shelf. Chorizo Omelet and Kinda Parsley Salad, Courgette Carbonara and bbq veg are definitely favorites.

Published 23 months ago by Salw0

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest to goodness cooking, 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
However, I've admired Jamie Oliver ever since the infamous school dinners campaign, and I thought that I'd give this book and a few recipes a try, if only to confirm my cynical attitude.

Well, I'm converted. Contrary to my previous belief, it's all about proper, honest home cooking with foodstuffs that are readily accessible (from supermarkets and farmers markets), and the recipes are realistic and well explainedin Jamie's endearing matey, lad-round-the-corner tone. Hardly pretentious like I first thought.
And, the incredible thing is; they work! Honestly, you'd think that it'd be of a 'maybe I'll get it right next time' affair, but it isn't. If you follow the instructions, you'll end up surprisingly close to the glossy photos you see in the books. And, of course, the end result is delicious.

As I said, I'm converted, and I feel genuinely enthusiastic about what I eat now. It really doesn't take up as much time or money as you think (perhaps even less when you get into the swing of things), and this will be a New Year resolution that I will eagerly stick to. And I have Jamie and this book to thank for it. Fantastic.

Oh, and I will never have my tomatoes any other way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie 'gets his hands dirty in the garden'...., 6 Sep 2007
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
....and produces another fine cookbook!

Not particularly noticeable for their 'leap-off-the-shelf' covers, the JO cookery books have seemed a little unappealing, and, to some extent, this one follows the trend with a cream-coloured background and a centred photo of Jamie in his garden!
However it is what is between the covers that matters!

Generally speaking, as the 'celebrity chefs' seem to spin out one book out after another, it is easy to wonder what 'on earth' (please pardon the pun!) can possibly be different about the latest offering?
But, as defined in the Amazon text and from the back cover - this book is indeed 'no-nonsense, simple cooking with great flavours all year around', based on the produce from Jamie's garden......
Over 100 new recipes, plus some basic planting information and tips if you fancy having a go at getting your hands dirty as well!'

Written to coincide with his latest TV programme series, the text is the typical Jamie Oliver banter that has made him so
famous, e.g.

(1) from 'Winter Veg':

'I've obviously reached the age where I've started to sound like my old man.....
Now, when a good day gets rained off, and the cold weather kicks in, I always think, 'Well, the garden's going to love it.'
And I've learnt that if you plan ahead and plant an assortment of winter veg in the summer you can reap the rewards from your garden every day of the year.....'

and from:

(2) 'Bubble and Squeak with Sausages and Onion Gravy

Bubble and Squeak is a classic British dish of smashed-up winter veg traditionally made from the Sunday roast leftovers.
Use about 60 per cent potato to get the right consistency, then whatever veg you like - carrots, Brussels, swedes, turnips, onions, leeks or Savoy cabbage.'

Dedicated to Steve Irwin, 1962 - 2006:

'I was so inspired by his verve for life......
And, most importantly, how he taught us all to appreciate this incredible planet we live on!......alongside a suitably pensive garden shot of Jamie, this weighty tome has 407 high quality matt pages, split over seasonal chapters:

* Spring
* Summer
* Autumn
* Winter

with 'A nice little chat' opening the book and ending with 'Useful Stuff' and Jamie's 'Thanks', as always - just before a full index, enhanced by V = 'Vegetarian Meal' referencing and BOLD for illustrated dishes, which are plentiful.
On-location shots are also littered throughout.

Each chapter opens with a seasonal, double page spread showing with the associated main ingredients, followed by introductory text.
Each recipe has relevant opening text, the number of servings, the list of ingredients and clear directions.

The book also includes advice on how to grow the JO way and harvest the selected ingredients, along with sections dedicated to other relevant areas, some a little more sensitive than others, such as:

* 'The Shock of Battery Farming'
* 'What I have Learned about Shooting'

Other information section examples include the definition of 'The Different Cuts of Lamb', 'Types of Hen Eggs' and 'How to Barbecue'.

A very small taste of the typically JO-defined recipe titles contained within:

* Eggy Breakfast Crumpets
* Cheeky Chilli-pepper Chutney
* Welsh Rarebit with Attitude
* Superb Squash Soup with the best Parmesan croutons
* Winter Crunch Salad with a mind-blowing sauce

The 'best winter veg coleslaw' recipe opens with:

'Coleslaw is something most of us have grown up eating, yet a lot of the time it must have been made so badly! With this in mind I want to bring it back with a vengeance...'
.....and the recipe is certainly a new spin on an old favourite, because it ditches the mayonnaise!
Friends of mine who NEVER eat coleslaw because of the thought of 'the mayo' were forced to admit that this version changed their minds, especially served with the 'thinly sliced leftover roast lamb, pork or rare roast beef, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil', Jamie recommends.

However.....my favourite recipe, to date - tried and tasted is on pages 48 & 49:

'Incredible Roasted Shoulder of Lamb with Smashed Veg (and Greens)'

I was persuaded by Jamie's enthusiasm to give 'shoulder' a try!
As JO would put it, 'bo-o-o-tiful', is certainly an understatement!
As the flavours from the rosemary and garlic, fresh from the garden, mingled and intimidated everyone for the four hours+ it took to cook and serve, they were all well pleased with the results!
This dish is simply super - tender as lamb should be, with the bone falling off!
Served with the suggested vegetables - simply carrots, swede and potatoes, I have to admit to bowing to some pressure and not doing 'the greens'!
One fantastic dish...................heaven on a plate.......served with a glass, or two, of Sancerre Rosé!

5.0 out of 5 stars His best so far !, 25 Oct 2007
J. van de Lindt "Romance Reviews" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
Jamie Oliver is a cook you either love or hate. Most people love him and I am no exception. His recipes are flawless. I hate watching him on TV because his restless behaviour makes me nervous. But that is completely besides the point here. His last book "Jamie at Home" is much more then just a cookbook. He tells us about his new passion in live: growing his own vegetables. Lots of tips on that subject and mouth watering pictures and recipes. After reading this book you will yearn for your own big vegetable garden. Although I know from experience that a big garden is not as heavenly as Jamie describes. He ships of his vegetables to his London restaurant "Fifteen" but if you don't have a restaurant you will be stuck with so much home grown stuff that you'll drown in it. Growing the stuff in pots on your balcony will make you much happier.
Jamie doesn't pretend that meat or eggs are produced in supermarkets. He doesn't beat around the bush and writes about "The Shock of Battery Farming" and "What I have Learned about Shooting". There are no distressing pictures on the subjects so don't worry about that. It's not like on TV where he slaughtered a lamb in front of the camera. But if you don't want to know how your meat is produced you are either a vegetarian or a hypocrite.
Jamie is honest about food. Really down to earth and so are his recipes. What I really like about this book is the fact that it is divided in seasons and also that everybody can cook "Jamie". You don't need four of five other cooks in your kitchen for the rest of the meal while you are sweating over just one very complicated course. You can do it all by yourself even if your not a very experienced cook.
This book is a real asset in the kitchen and great to cuddle up with on the couch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working my way through, wonderful....., 10 Feb 2008
Panspeople (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
This is one of his best books, the others have not inspired me but this rustic style of cooking is superb and delivers delish! flavours.
I find him a tad annoying on the television but to watch the meals being prepared tempts you into trying them, with great results.

The roasted shoulder of lamb was a success but the smashed veg were a little weird, just reminded me of lumpy mash but this is easily solved.
The pappardelle with braised leeks and porcini pangratta was very flavoursome and will appear on my repertoire again.
The bubble and squeak, sausages & onion gravy was also beautiful but the amount of balsamic vinegar recommended was too overpowering for my tastes.

With a few very tiny alterations to the recipes I can highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 13 Sep 2007
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
Fab recipes and with a bit of vegetable gardening chucked in for good measure it's the perfect book for budding gardeners and cooks everywhere. It's an amazing way of encouraging people to try and do a bit of home grown and Jamie's constant enthusiasm comes through on every page. It's a great kitchen garden book, a great cook book and even a great coffee table book.

4.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 13 Oct 2007
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
I had heard that Jamie Oliver's books were uninspiring and dull. Could not be further from the truth! The book was concise, easy to read, precise, and the recipes I've tried thus far were extremely tasty.

What I was especially unprepared for was just how HEALTHY most of this stuff is. Since beginning to eat these recipes regularly my blood rpessure has dropped 20 points. Low on salt, low on meat, high on vegetables, this book may be just the ticket for what ailes you. Oh, yeah - they're also rich in flavour.

Speaking of health I also just completed the funniest book on health I've ever read, Martha Bolton's "Race You To tHe Fountain of Youth" a droll, laugh-out-loud look at healthy eating, exercise, vitamins and the like.

I think Jamie Oliver is presently our most accomplished chef. I wish the book had displayed a little more variety. All the chapters follow the same basic formula. But if you're looking for health and taste in your meals, this is the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, and good fun., 25 Mar 2008
S. Welch (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I had been watching the TV series. The recipes are great and very easy and if you don't have any of the ingredients, I have missed a few things out and it still tasted great. The book itself is a lovely thing to have too, great graphics and Jamie has written about all of the veg he grows too, which has encouraged me to start my own patch. And that is quite something as I am not good as growing things!! He's made it really easy to understand and not too off putting!. A great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of jamie Oliver, 26 Feb 2008
Ian Young - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
He gets his hands dirt and shows how to grow, prepare and cook your own food. I have others from Oliver and they are just the typical recipe books. This is different and written in an easy to read light hearted manner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little inconsistent, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)

But there are a few recipes I have tried on more than one occasion and they have failed completely. I once did the pork on a tray of balsamic veg for guests, the instructions seemed to suggest a really long time in the oven, I did question it but thought I would trust Jamie. Unfortunately it turned into a pile of charged veg stuck to the dish with some very nice pork on top, I should have gone with my gut instinct.

I was once told that Jamie's recipes are all written by different people and compiled and sold under his name. I am not sure if this is true but this book seems to suggest this might be right. There are some real blinders, but be warned try the recipes first if your going to do something for guests!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jamie At Home, 2 Feb 2008
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life (Hardcover)
'Jamie At Home' has a great collection of recipes from the television series and is presented in an attractive and accessible way. The book is divided into the four seasons and focuses on different ingredients, from asparagus to eggs. It has growing tips for your own vegetable patch and manages to combine garden advice and cookery advice with equal skill, whilst being enjoyable to read. One thing I liked was the more natural descriptions for the recipes, instead of prescribing an exact amount of oil (for example 20ml) he just says 'two big glugs', this is reminiscent of the TV series, as well as making each recipe individual to the person cooking it. After all, that is what cooking is about, providing great food in a personal way. This book goes a long way to helping you achieve that and is a great place to find some tasty and inspiring recipes. Well worth a buy if you're a fan of the series or not.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life
Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life by Jamie Oliver (Hardcover - 6 Sep 2007)
20.40