on 27 February 2008
I am a clinical psychologist myself and frequently recommend this book to families at work. It is easy to read, straightforward but most importantly addresses both the 'what to do' aspects of parenting and also the 'why are we struggling with this'. Parents are encouraged to think about themselves in their parenting and how impossible it is to parent without taking account of our own beliefs, emotions and histories. Easily the best parenting book available.
on 3 December 2007
Review by a dad. Well done Tanya, this is a great book which is well written and easy to read. The best thing about this book is that the author, who is a mum herself, is realistic and practical. She focuses on achieving long term results and not just 'quick fixes'. She also makes parents think about their own behaviour rather than focusing on children and labelling them as 'naughty' or 'troublesome'. Great, realistic advice and it works if you are prepared to put in the hardwork. The book also deals with some specific probelms which weren't really relevant to me - but I know where to turn if I need the advice.
on 29 September 2014
I wanted a book to give me some advice on how to deal with toddler behavior when it happens; as my daughter is still quite young. This book is aimed at someone who already has a very negative relationship with their child, so it wasn't really the right book for me. I read it anyway, it was easy to read and made some interesting points about how your own personal issues need to be resolved to deal with child behavior. I can't comment on the effectiveness of the methods as I haven't needed to try them, but a good book for reflection.
on 29 August 2009
Those of your familiar with Dr Tanya Byron's television programmes will know that her style of behaviour management is less about sticking the child on a "naughty step" and more focussed on encouraging parents to explore how their own behaviours and the environment around the child are impacting on the child in the first place.

Her book is useful in helping frazzled and frustrated parents step back from the situation, reflect on the 'triggers' and background to the problem behaviour they are trying to address, and provide humane and positive methods to reward and reinforce good behaviour.

Its tone is refreshingly non-judgemental; Byron does not purport to know all the answers and never presumes to lecture the parents on how things must be done. Instead she claims to try and 'empower' parents to make their own decisions as the people who know the child in question best.

I would recommend this book to all parents, as it encourages you to look at key aspects of parenting and might be a good way of preventing negative patterns of behaviour from becoming established in the first place. For parents of children who have problems with eating, sleeping, tantrums etc., this book won't provide easy answers, but would possibly offer a good starting point for working towards some solutions.
on 2 September 2010
I am a psychiatrist and a father of two. This book is excellent. Its easy and great to read. The techniques in this book are basic behavioural approaches. They are straightforward and time tested methods. I had tried using these techniques initially with my children, but my wife was quite sceptical of my methods.Then she got this book from the local oxfam and she was fully convinced. This book explains the theoretical basis behind each action you take when your child behaves/misbehaves.One of the most useful books I have read.
on 23 July 2010
One of the quickest books to read and straightforward no nonsense advice. It certainly makes you take responsibility for your role in your childs behaviour and once you do, things do get a lot easier. I liked the book because it doesn't allow you to make excuses, but it does acknowledge your own feelings. I suspect it would be a difficult book for anyone who found looking at their own emotions hard or who simply felt they didn't have the time to devote to making changes for the long term.
on 10 February 2009
I found this book reassuring as its not a 'do this do that' kind of book. It makes you think of how you parent and you actions, a very good book. My mum even read it and like it - that is some praise.
on 28 February 2008
An awful book! This was given to me as a gift and I strongly advise parents to read either Connection Parenting by Pam Leo, or Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn instead. I don't disagree with everything Tanya Byron writes per se, but in a way that is what makes her book so insidious. The whole point of the book is control - to control your child by punishment or the conditional reward of sticker charts. A one year old who 'screams, cries real tears and becomes completely traumatized' when he is even near is pushchair is advised to be treated 'either by systemic desensitization... or flooding, which would mean strapping him in, going for a long walk, letting him scream and just getting on with it.' The book does nothing at all to consider the long term effects of this kind of action on a child, or on that child's relationship with and ability to trust its parents.