4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, frivolous fashion handbook
Published on 15 May 2007 by Veronica Marwood

3.0 out of 5 stars From a teenager's point of view =]
Published on 18 July 2007 by Jenjenjenjen=]

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, frivolous fashion handbook, 15 May 2007
This review is from: That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between (Hardcover)
Victoria Beckham's first foray into fashion writing is an enjoyable, readable guidebook about clothes, style and beauty, with an autobiographical element - written in a conversational style, it's peppered with anecdotes about Victoria's life, but doesn't become overwhelmed by them. There's enough personal detail to keep celebrity gossip enthusiasts happy, but the book is dominated by style advice, making it perfect for budding fashionistas. The fact that it's co-written with the excellent Hadley Freeman, of Vogue and the Guardian, lends the book an air of authority that's absent from similar celebrity tomes.

Anyone expecting to be told exactly what to wear will be disappointed - this is a collection of style tips and guidelines, providing ideas to draw inspiration from, rather than a set of stringent rules. It's cleverly written to appeal to a wide audience - yes, designer names are frequently namechecked, but high street alternatives are suggested for every item. The tone is friendly and witty, which makes the book easy to read and hard to put down - I had to ration the chapters in order to stop myself from devouring it all in one go!

The design is abosolutely gorgeous and very innovative - the layout and illustrations are beautiful. It would have been easy to fill a book like this with standard pictures of clothes, but it's packed with drawings and graphics, designers' preliminary sketches of outfits, and behind-the-scenes pictures of Victoria. There's also Ellen von Unwerth's stunning photographs of Victoria, which tie in with the themes of the chapters but work just as well in isolation, making this a perfect coffee-table book.

Admittedly, 'That Extra Half an Inch' isn't about to win any literary awards, but then, it isn't a book that should be taken too seriously; as Victoria herself states in the introduction, 'I have no qualifications to write this book other than a lifelong passion... [and] this book isn't my attempt to tell you what or what not to do'. I expect that many of the overly critical reviews written about this book have come from readers who dislike the woman herself - if you despise Mrs Beckham, it stands to reason that you're unlikely to enjoy the book, so just don't buy it. For the rest of us, it's a thoroughly likeable read, and great to dip in and out of when you need a bit of style inspiration.

3.0 out of 5 stars From a teenager's point of view =], 18 July 2007
So I'm 14, I like Victoria Beckham and think she has great style and was bought this book for my birthday. This book, as it does say on the cover, isn't 'my attempt to tell you what or what not to do. It's just to share some of what I've learned.' And that's exactly what it's about. It's not a book telling you what to do, it's a book telling you what Victoria does. It's split up into lots of different sections: jeans, tops, accessories to name just a few, which I think was a clever idea so instead of having to plough through the whole book to read about her advice on evening dresses you can skip straight to the 'parties' section and pick up some inspiration. It's seemingly light reading even though at a first glance the 311 pages can look quite intimidating. I do think it's a good book, and it serves it's purpose giving us an insight into Victoria's wardrobe, and in some parts her daily life, however if you are a teenage reader, like myself, looking for a snappy read to pick up some fashion tips from your fave celeb I do think it's a little heavy going and won't keep you entertained. It's more about style and how Victoria Beckham dresses and has settled into her style rather than the latest fashions and how to pull them off. Definitely a fab read though, three smiley faces =] =] =]
Hope this helped.
X

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected actually ..., 30 Dec 2006
JulieB "Julie B." (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to be honest and say that this book was better than I expected. Someone bought this for me for christmas - I'm not a huge fan of Victoria but I quite like her and so I read this book with an open mind.

I've picked up some good tips and it's a book that you can dip into again and again. I didn't know that Miss Sixty jeans are cut for the more curvy shape, Abercrombie do some of the best quality t-shirts around and Body Shop do the best skin exfoliating gloves (in Victoria's opinion of course). I will try some of her suggestions out and see for myself.

The positives - its 311 pages long, with lots of lovely photos of her (colour and black and white) - any fan into collecting photos of her could love this book for that reason alone. Chapters are split into jeans, tops, skirts/dresses, accessories, parties, vacations, winter, special occasions, pregnancy, lingerie, shopping, make up/hair and at the back there is a Where To Buy section with tons of websites.

The negatives - I did get a little fed up of her mentioning TopShop quite so many times! Also, for the majority of us, top of the range designer labels are out of the question. However if you can afford the likes of Burberry and Karen Millen you will get even more out of the book than most of us.

A warning though - anyone expecting it to be a book exactly like trinny and susannah's are probably going to be a little disappointed. There are a few similarities, but its not quite the same kind of book. It is Victoria's own opinions about the things she wears, buys and uses. And yes, some of the tips you've heard before (ie. no frilly bras with t-shirts!) but there was a lot she said that made sense, and quite frankly she does look great and well groomed always doesn't she, so she must get something right!

In conclusion therefore I have to say I liked it. It's a self-indulgent book - read it without expecting TOO much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good book, 31 Dec 2006
Louise Kolbeinsen "Louise" (England) - See all my reviews
I was actually looking forward to this book when I first heard about it. Victoria Beckham has, in my opinion, amazing dress sense, and I was hoping that I might get some insight into how she does it.

WRONG!

This book is nothing more than page after page of Victoria telling you how fab her life is. All the designers she is friends with. Her wonderful life with the kids and David. She offers very little practical advice. She consistently says things like 'Oh Gucci does a great example of this, as does Chanel and Balenciagia, and there are options available on the High Street' Oh yeah? WHERE! WHAT STORE?

The book will be dated within a year. She talks about current trends like pencil skirts. Well, the way fashion goes they will be out soon and the book will be utterly useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 13 Nov 2007
I quite liked this, but can't work out whether to recommend it to others because while it has a nice feel to it, the advice itself is a bit silly. You've either read it before or it's just not good advice! Would say though that I enjoyed reading it. Like other reviewers - I'm a bit on the fence too!

3.0 out of 5 stars If I had more disposable income, I'd give it a higher rating!, 13 Dec 2006
AyJay (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When I heard that Victoria Beckham was publishing a style guide I was curious. I'm not a fan, but I don't have anything against her either.

Having now read it (it took a day) I'm still a bit undecided. `That Extra Half an Inch' is written in a cosy style - it's like you're having a cup of coffee with Mrs Beckham. The book is nicely set into different sections; Tops, Day Dresses, Gifts (a lovely idea), make-up (disappointing) etc. And the photos are really stunning.

That said I didn't actually learn anything new. This book is mostly a higher end where-to-buy guide. Come on - are all of the designer names Vic drops really useful to the average person on the street? Are our husbands going to whisk us off to Paris and New York for shopping? (Even if they did have the money I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you). Plus, this book must be sponsored by Top Shop; I lost count of the number of times the shop name cropped up.

I'm really conflicted in my view. A lovely, if impractical, style guide. I would get another book, if one was ever published, just because of the nice, intimate writing style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Dec 2006
I bought this book thinking it would be full of good advice. I dont dislike Victoria, but the book was terribly disappointing. I presumed it would be alot about how to wear the clothes if your a certain shape, height etc. However i found it was more of what Victoria does and what expensive clothes/products she uses to achieve her look and then adding the odd affordable brand in there. Some of the advice is ovbious, "do not wear a frilly bra under a tight t-shirt as the lace will bump up causing you to look like you have bumpy boobs." Not many things i didnt know already.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, 14 Nov 2006
Read this book in a few short hours, not much of a read but OK I suppose. I like her alot but her lifestyle is what shapes her advice and it all seems a bit too front row with Katie Holmes for me, all a bit boring. Took advice of other reviewer here last week and picked up two other style bibles so that I wouldn't misjudge her, How to Walk in High Heels and The Goddess Guide-both great value on amazon and both are full of much better tips and sound advice. How to Walk in High Heels is a good all rounder (I keep it near the TV and flick when I'm bored). The Goddess Guide I keep in my handbag and take it shopping with me for all of the really hip addresses, phone numbers and fashion and beauty tips. I especially like the fashion experts' secret addresses in The Goddess Guide -the ones in London are very special and I've found so many new shops that sell really eclectic one off pieces that had all of my friends guessing where I got my top (can't wait to try the shops in New York and Paris someday). To be honest I did give Victoria's book a fair chance but it's not anywhere as good as these other two. From reading them I've grasped that the writers spend their whole lives immersed in travelling to critique fashion - you can really tell. Victoria's book misses the mark here because it's just not as believable or savvy. And anyway how can she go shopping on the highstreet for jeans in Topshop without being spotted by the paparazzi? Have you seen the size of the windows on Topshop in Oxford Street?

1.0 out of 5 stars Lacking technical knowledge, 11 Nov 2006
Daniel Clarke (England) - See all my reviews
I am not particuraly enamoured to Mrs B. but I like the serialisation of the book in a certain Newspaper, so decided to purchase it.

I am afraid the best three sections were serialised, that the rest of the book is somewhat limp. VB is stylish in the sense that she has a lot of money to spend on beautiful clothes and stylists, and wears ready made constructed pieces - ie. how much thinking goes into a ready made, readily designed Roberto Cavalli dress? All you have to do is put it on!

She doesnt really identify many problems for normal women who may not be so slender, she makes sweeping generalisations in this about and recommends particular brands, but doesnt really offer tons of alternatives, and certianly not cost effective ones.

I can see that she loves fashion, and promotes it as something fun, but this book is not a practical guide; the clothes are too expensive (even the 150 jeans - yes she does offer Topshop as a highstreet alternative, but thats all), she is impractical at best of times (she lives in heels - how many women can honestly stand non stop heel wearing) and her pictures are average, not as creative as they could be.

I read through once in about 35 mins and havent picked it up again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to be a fan, not anymore., 21 Nov 2006
This book was very disappointing, to say the least. I admit that I am one of the biggest Posh fans there is, for the past 10 years no, and know so much about her it's sickening and embarassing. So when this book came up, I pre-ordered it and waited for it in the mail. I was so disappointed after reading it, I went through it in about a week. I admit I couldn't even read her jibber jabber, which is written as if it were a magazine article - good in short spurts, but it IS a BOOK for goodness sakes! You can only read it for about 10 minutes before your head starts hurting at all the nonsense you've read.

The brand name dropping is also senseless and rather unecessary. Gucci, Dolce & Gabanna, Christian Loubutin, Louis Vuitoon, etc, etc, but remember you can also shop at Top Shop on High Street! This is repeated on every single page of this book. Discussing her baby clothes, Dior, Burberry, it's all rather cute, but again, impractical and frivolous. Not for the average person.

This guide is for someone who is RICH and would like to dress like Victoria. Thanks for letting me know that I should wear SPF in my moisturizer. Things like this I really didn't need to read.

The basics of this book are good points, make sure everything fits you well, ask your mom, sister, kids, husband, friends, and anyone else you know how you look in it, just to be SURE that you look good. Other than that, it's mainly about wearing "clean lines" and only show your bra under shirts in a "dolce and gabbana" kind of way.

Too bad, I used to love her, now I can't stand her brand name obsessive life. She tries SO hard to be a "friend" to you, but really, it's the kind of friend you don't need.

That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between
That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between by Victoria Beckham (Hardcover - 27 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01