5.0 out of 5 stars What a boy, what a book!
Published on 16 Sept. 2006 by Maria Kondje

3.0 out of 5 stars what a lousy ending sorry there should have been
what a lousy ending sorry there should have been more
Published 3 months ago by michaelrourke

5.0 out of 5 stars What a boy, what a book!, 16 Sept. 2006
Maria Kondje "Book It" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World (Hardcover)
I requested this book for my birthday last week and what a week it has been. I have laughed, cried and found myself slipping into an age long gone, mainly due to the wonderfully descriptive writing and the sheer happiness that oozes from the pages. There are sad moments too, the auther recalling how he lost younger sibblings. His strong loving mother, struggling to make ends meet, and his delightful father were described with such conviction I almost felt I could hear their voices. A really lovely book recalling his life upto the early 60's. A must read for anyone with a hunger for nostalgia and maybe also a soft spot for Tommy.

5.0 out of 5 stars wasnt sure at first / Chris Spain, 1 Oct. 2006
Mrs. C. A. Spain (essex,england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World (Hardcover)
what a brilliant book,I was hooked from the begining,I had no intention of ordering this book it appeared in my basket my mistake,but I am glad it did.What a colourful like Tommy Steele has led,and he has left you wanting more.If there is a sequal I will difinately buy it.I love reading autobiographys but this is the best I have read.Buy it...buy it...buy it

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Terrific!, 6 Oct. 2006
Nich (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World (Hardcover)
At turns comic, tragic, adventurous, thrilling, romantic, always heartfelt, always life-affirming, even life-after-life-affirming, this page-turner is just the sort of experience any fan would expect whenever experiencing Tommy Steele. Sure hope another book is forthcoming, picking up where this one left off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 28 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World (Hardcover)
I was given this book for Christmas. I read it in a day - couldn't put it down. Unlike with some autobiographies, I felt this book was all true. I learnt a lot about Tommy Steele which I didn't know and his descriptions of life in London during World War II are very moving. This book made me laugh out loud and also cry. You must read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only read one autobiography in your life, make it this one!, 26 Sept. 2008
B. A. Baxter "Mickey B" (Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England.) - See all my reviews
'Bermondsey Boy' the Tommy Steele autobiography.
I was born three years after the war finished but there was still rationing on certain things and times were hard. Tommy Steele's wonderful book brings back the even harder years before my birth and he writes with such passion and warmth.
I can remember Dad bringing home 78's and playing them on his beloved radiogram,'Singing The Blues', 'Nairobi', 'Handful Of Songs' with the infectious 'Water Water' on the flip side. It was a wonderful time to be brought up and I relished and identified with many things in the book, it was like a nostalgia trip for me. Our mothers seemed to have been separated at birth and I dearly miss mine too.
Tommy Steele has been an amiable presence in practically the whole of my life and I thoroughly enjoyed his account of his early years. I am a no nonsense Yorkshireman and he reduced me to blubber when Darbo pressed the half crown into his palm at the end of the book.
I do hope there will be a sequel
Michael Baxter, Hull, East Yorkshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowing Tommy, 8 Jun. 2009
Living in Soho I got to know Tommy, and Terry Deane and Edna Savage, Adam Faith plus others of that scene, the book was great for me as it evoked so many memories of my youth and times when we really had no other cares than "going for a coffee at the 2 I's". My dad had a pub there so we had some really good sessions there also it really was "the best of times"

I still think that Tommy is one of the most underrated entertainers, he can (and does) do anything. He has never lost that boyish charm or swagger and always maintains that sincerity. It comes out so well in the book along with all the stories of his family and his growing up. They are his memories and while some differ from mine, thats what makes the book so good. our memories are all our own, and the pictures that they make are also solely ours. The book is factual and honest, interesting and funny and sad and has all the elements that make it a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great readable autobiography, 3 Oct. 2007
This book will surprise you. Pleasantly, I may add!
After reading the back cover in the book shop, it appealed to me, as I am interested in reading about WW2. But, I didn't know how well written, and thoroughly absorbing Tommy Steele's 'child to manhood' would be, particularly his days as a merchant sailor, before he found fame.
Like Norman Wisdom's autobiography, it's a 'must have' to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting and enjoyable biography, engagingly told. It's a delight - and a page turner. Recommended., 24 Oct. 2014
This is a splendid autobiography of British rock n roller Tommy Steele - although the majority of this book concerns Tommy's pre-fame years.

Born Thomas Hicks in 1936, young Tom grew up in Bermondsey in South East London, surviving the Blitz, high rates of infant mortality (which claimed two of his siblings), and serious illness.

Tommy's descriptions of his earliest years growing up in a poor but loving environment are at the heart of this book. There are many similar books that demonstrate just how life has changed for most in the developed world and this is another superb addition. The contrast between then and now always amazes me.

He packs in an incredible number of amusing and interesting stories which, given the tale finishes in the late 1950s, just after his initial fame, and given the book is just over 300 pages long, is a testimony to an eventful and interesting life and his ability to tell stories.

So much of Tommy's survival, and future fame, hinged on extraordinary chance, although clearly he was also a charismatic and talented fellow too.

There is so much to interest and appreciate in this book: his Dad's ducking and diving, his family tragedies, how he got into the merchant navy, his years at sea, his brush with the mafia, his foreign travels, his life as Britain's first rock n roller and teen idol, his drift into theatre and show business, and much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonder from beginning to end..., 19 Mar. 2012
Richard Holliday "Ricardo" (London) - See all my reviews
I read this stunning autobiography on recommendation, despite having little knowledge of, or affection for, the author and his career. What a recommendation. The book is a warm, tragic and funny melodrama, which charts the extraordinary early life of a cockney urchin who went from Merchant Navy cabin boy to Britains biggest popstar in the blink of an eye. The harshness of a post-war childhood which is, incredibly, only a generation or two ago is recreated in 'Bermondsey Boy' in a charming and poignant fashion, which grips and enthrals in equal measure. Detailing his father's borderline criminal career, the characters of bomb-hit south-east London and the pervasion of death and sickness in his childhood, among many other vivid stories, 'Bermondsey Boy' is an utter delight from beginning to it's abrupt and intriguing end, as Steele reaches a career crossroads at the end of the fifties. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is a beautifully written book which smothers the reader in rich period detail and feels more like a social history than a celebrity autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough life but with a lot of humour & heartbreak, 8 Oct. 2010
Have always liked Tommy Steele even though I was'nt a fan of his particular music, but loved his films, how can one feel down when his smiling face is on the screen, however, I did'nt realise just how much he had to go without as a child, but he always had a great deal of love from his parents and that shines through, I thoroughly recommend this book regardless of age, you wont be able to put it down.

Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World
Bermondsey Boy: Memories of a Forgotten World by Tommy Steele (Hardcover - 7 Sept. 2006)
Used & New from: £0.01