on 8 July 2007
The follow on to the marvellous 'Bollocks to Alton Towers', this does not disappoint with a treasure trove of more uncommonly British days out.
My head is now full of places I want to visit. The entries have a humourous feel and put you in the right frame of mind to appreciate some of our lesser known attractions and heritage.

I am mostly looking forward to The Margate Shell Grotto, Dunwich, Bressingham Steam museum & the National Fruit Collection.

Touching and fitting is the epilogue dedicated to the Wicker Man's legs, nicked by some moron just before the book went to publication.

If you want to get away from the sodding crowd for a cheaper and probably more forfilling day out then this book will hold many ideas for you.
on 1 May 2007
Ha ha, excellent. I've often wondered why we Britons seem to have centralised our leisure and entertainment. Or indeed, why it has been done for us. In days gone by, an evening at the cinema, pub, club etc would mean taxis or buses to different venues. Nowadays they seem to be all under one vast shopping centre roof. I mean, how can we possibly get excited by going to the far end of a shopping centre on a Saturday night - to the local Beefeater - to the dancing? This book sorts us out. I've visited a couple of the more wayward attractions listed and they're well worth it. The Blantyre Tie Museum was very interesting. They have over 50 ties from around Britain, in several different patterns and colours. My favourite was dark blue with white horizontal stripes. Another good day out was to the Wishaw Tiger Club. Obviously they don't have any live tigers, only a couple of stuffed ones. However they have loads of photos and if you want to talk tigers then the club members are for you! Jason Hazeley has done an excellent job with this book and will encourage a few more of us to tear ourselves away from the mainstream, drink real ale, watch BBC2 and holiday in Cornwall.
on 23 July 2008
Like its predecessor, Bollocks To Alton Towers, this is a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaining read which puts a host of (usually unheard of) places onto your "Must Visit" list. As well as being informative it is amusing and witty; even the footnotes are unmissable. At times it is real laugh-aloud material. I bought this as a present for my sister in Canada who loved "Bollocks" and am now going to purchase a copy to keep for myself. Hope the team get around to visiting enough quirky places to produce another volume!

H Ross
on 9 June 2008
Fantastic book, great fun and I want to go to all of them! BUT...be careful, this is a paperback version of Far from the Sodding Crowd: More Uncommonly British Days Out (Hardcover). Sneaky!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 November 2013
Not merely the off-beat attractions, but the writing in this little book demonstrate the best of British quirkiness and humour. The humour ranges from the whimsical (such as the notion of Black Forest farm workers making cuckoo clocks during winter when there aren't any gateaux to harvest!), to the downright cynical. It must be said, though, that the authors are never less than charmed with the many & varied unusual places they write about; 45 in total.

One word of caution about the book - it was written in 2008. Inevitably, over the course of time some of the attractions may disappear; indeed, one already has, due to vandalism & theft. If this book does inspire you to visit any of its recommendations, then check it's still there before you go! To which end, the authors have done their best to include full contact details for each, including website addresses.

Nevertheless, even if you never get around to visiting any of them (shame!), the book is well worth reading in its own right and, if you've any love for anything in what might loosely be called "Traditional British Humour", it should generate plenty of chuckles. Now, I'm sure I've got a copy of the first one somewhere... Where's it gone...
on 17 March 2009
Jason Hazely is witty and wise: we've been to some of the places he recommends already and will go to more, book in hand, to enjoy fact and fun. We bought the companion book too, Bollocks to Alton Towers, and couldn't agree more... it's a lot more fun having to think about sea eagles and Colossus and what it was like to get tied up to your own toll-gate while the hedgebirds nicked the takings, than losing your stomach to centrifugal force...
on 31 October 2013
Some great alternative attractions lovingly and wittily described. And the ones I know already are accurate and interesting descriptions. Very good.
Very good follow-up to Borrocks to Alton Towers.
Not quite as good as the original but still worthy of 5 stars!
on 16 January 2016
Never judge a book by its cover nor by the title!
on 31 March 2016