5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem
Published on 8 Mar 2009 by helen

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable - completely forgettable
'Moments when your life changes; there will always be a before and an after, separated, perhaps, by a knock at the door.'

Published on 19 Mar 2010 by purpleheart

3.0 out of 5 stars Very readable - completely forgettable, 19 Mar 2010
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)

The novel starts well - Elly's husband has died in a car crash with another woman as passenger. She has to face the possibility that he was having an affair and that their life together was a sham. This is an interesting premise and the Nicci French team do a good job of building our sympathy with the detecting widow as she tries to make sense of things.

I used to hoover up the Nicci French novels. Then I got bored - they seemed just too similar, too formulaic. As another reviewer here has said the police are so determinedly anti protagaonist in them that it becomes tiresome.

I enjoyed this one ok although I had guessed the ending very early and didn't find much to grab me later in the novel. It would make a good holiday read but as it's some time since I read it I found that it was very forgettable and had to remind myself of the plot as I came to write this review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better..., 14 April 2009
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
I rushed to read this as soon as I could get my hands on it, as all the previous Nicci French books have been excellent. So why have I given this only 2 stars?

Ellie drags you into the story at once, and the little details make it so believable. She is adamant that her husband couldn't - wouldn't - have been having an affair, even when nobody else believes it. So far, so good. But then, it just loses the plot a little. True, she is unhinged and demented with grief, but even so... her actions seem unreal and are as a result, unbelievable.

I was disappointed with the ending, and felt it was rushed. It reminded me of a typical Made-For-TV thriller, where they have to tie up all the loose ends in the last 5 minutes! Come on 'Nicci French', you can do better than this!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem, 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
When you buy a Nicci French novel, you somehow know you're in good hands. And this latest offering from the super-talented husband and wife team doesn't disappoint. It's the story of a bereaved woman whose husband died in an alleged car accident. Not only is she heart-broken, she also has to deal with the fact that there was another woman in the car. She becomes obsessed with proving that there is a more sinister story behind her husband's death. And so the trouble for herself starts... Tautly managed, the story unfolds without giving the reader a chance to willingly put the book down. Extremely well written, this is a hugely satisfying read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Convincing while reading, 13 Feb 2010
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is the sort of Nicci French novel I love: taut, clever, twisting with a believable emotionality.

Ellie is devastated when her husband dies in a car crash, but all sorts of mysteries surround his last journey: what was he doing in that part of London? And who was the mysterious woman in the car with him? Most people assume he was having an affair but Ellie doesn't believe this and so, grieving and out of emotional control, she starts to investigate in a very unorthodox way.

Ok, there are bits of this story which really don't hold together once the book is shut, but while reading is all seems very plausible. So suspend your disbelief and allow the twisty narrative to suck you in... a great escapist read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicci French "What To Do When Someone Dies", 13 May 2009
Mrs. S. P. Clark "Oonypotter" (East Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
After waiting what seems a long time for the latest novel from the Nicci French partnership this book delivers everything I expected. I took it on holiday and couldn't put it down until it was read to the end. Lots of twists and turns to keep you guessing to the end.Can't wait for their next book!

2.0 out of 5 stars The most disappointing one, 27 April 2009
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
I finished this book recently and it took me over a week - normally I sit down and read their books in one sitting. I was so disappointed with this one. It seemed to start off very well then it went downhill for me and the most rushed ending ever. I didn't really like any of the characters either.

I have enjoyed every book so much in the past too.

3.0 out of 5 stars First time Nicci French reader, 21 April 2009
G. J. Smith "book lover" (Surrey, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
Not usually my genre, I bought this book for a 'light' read on holiday and raced through it. I passed it to my husband who is the crime aficionado, and he pronounced it great.

The story concerns a bereaved women who utterly refuses to believe her husband had been having an affair with the young woman killed alongside him in the car crash. The story revolves around her search for the truth - a truth that she will accept - and is a cracking good read, if you are prepared to suspend belief. Good descriptions of her misery of loss, of loneliness and of her friends' attempts to help, but I'm afraid I guessed the ending about two thirds of the way through.

This won't stop me buying another by these authors, just for fun though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another thoroughly enjoyable Nicci French, 7 April 2009
Mrs. J. Redmond (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
Although I wouldn't say this was my favourite Nicci French novel, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As always, I found it difficult to put down and feel reassured that the duo are still capable of producing novels of the standard I have now come to expect from them; hopefully there are plenty more to come. As someone else said, the heroine, Ellie, is something of a Nicci French "type", but I actually welcome this; it offers a certain cosy predictability at the centre of what becomes a bizarre and taut adventure. I don't think their books would work as well with a different type of central character. Anyone who enjoys a psychological thriller set amongst the ordinary, the mundaneness of everyday life, will enjoy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT THEIR BEST, 14 Jun 2010
Alexander Bryce (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I am or perhaps was a big fan of this husband and wife team of story tellers , but this one alas was a big disappointment for me . It starts well enough with on the surface a routine motor accident resulting in a man and woman's death . Why , apart from the obvious , were they together in the car in a deserted area at night? The investigation by the assumed wronged widow follows . But there is no real excitement with some of the twists and turns beggaring belief . The characters unlike the authors' previous inventions lack depth and are mainly walking , talking cliches.
Towards the end , although by then I could have cared less , the outcome was obvious and after such a long boring investigation quickly summed up in a few pages .
Based on past performance I will forgive them this one and look forward to their next .

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Nov 2009
Julie Edmonds (Crewe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Do When Someone Dies (Hardcover)
For this book to work you have to start with the premise that if your husband is killed in a car crash, and happens to have a female stranger in the same car - absolutely everyone, including the police, closest friends and family will assume beyond any doubt they were having an affair. If you try to discuss other options they will send you off to a psychiatrist, despite the fact they all knew and loved the husband and there is not a shred of evidence suggesting he even knew the woman. I found the whole story totally unbelievable and Ellie's friends were completely unrealistic. Surely any close friends would respect your opinion and not just dismiss it as insanity because you didn't instantly believe the worst. I have read most Nicci French books and loved quite a few of them but this just doesn't match up to classics like 'Beneath the Skin' and 'Land of the Living'.

What to Do When Someone Dies
What to Do When Someone Dies by Nicci French (Hardcover - 5 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01