Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on 15 November 2006
I had high hopes for this book, after all who wouldn't want a book by Jamie that is based on his teachings at the Fifteen Foundation Restaurants. Unfortunately, this book does not live up to expectations. It is a poor cross between some of the teachings of his earlier books, a few animal diagrams from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall book on Meat and a layout similar (but in no way as useful) as one of Delia's Cookery Course books. To top things off, the book is one big Kodak advertisement. If it were not that I received the book free with my favourite magazine subscription, I would not have bought it.

That is not to say that some of the recipes aren't good, they are, but I can't help but feel let down by the lack of expert knowledge. With the exception of a brief list of essential herbs and spices at the back of the book, there is little (if any) reference to where to find the best quality meat, fruit & veg or brands of store cupboard ingredients. How about a list of foods that you should always have in the house so as to rustle up quick and nutritious meals in minutes or what brands of various equipment are good to buy depending on your budget. It seems that nobody has questioned Jamie's lack of attention to detail in all of these areas and the result is that people see this book as a must have reference/how to be a better chief guide book.

If that is what you want then I suggest that you invest in Delia Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course, it is the best cooking reference book I have ever come across and use it constantly to convert temperatures, weights and all other referencing in my day to day cooking. Some other good reference books to have are Delia's How to Cook Books 1-3, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's The River Cottage Meat Book, Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess and last but not least Rick Stein's Seafood cook book.

In general, I do not dislike Jamie's previous cook books, in fact I own them all, but I do feel that people should know that this book is not as good as it could have been. I would have expected something better then what has been produced.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2014
I bought this for my son, who likes cooking , likes Jamie and has moved to Paris. It has interesting and delicious recipes, although it is not what I expected from the title!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2007
Just a bit patronising for me. Not as good as his books that just focus on recipes. Bit disappointed, but he;s a millionaire so i;ll bet he won't be too upset!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse