4.0 out of 5 stars A great book if you're prepared to devote the time
Published on 21 Mar 2007 by Matt Pucci

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the book you think it will be : (
I had high hopes for this book, after all who wouldn't want a book by Jamie that is based on his teachings at the Fifteen Foundation Restaurants. Unfortunately, this book does not live up to expectations. It is a poor cross between some of the teachings of his earlier books, a few animal diagrams from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall book on Meat and a layout similar (but in...
Published on 15 Nov 2006 by HelloKittyCrazy

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book if you're prepared to devote the time, 21 Mar 2007
Matt Pucci "mattpucci.com" (Here, there and everywhere) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook (Hardcover)
This is the seventh book from everyone's favourite mockney celebrity chef, and anyone who owns the likes of The Naked Chef or Jamie's Dinners will know what to expect: Jamie's jovial, conversational-style of writing, a lovely, clear lay-out, tantalising, mouthwatering photographs, and recipes that straddle the great divide between haute cuisine and decent, down-to-earth grub. So, what does this book offer that's new?

Well, firstly, at over 400 pages, Cook With Jamie appears to have been conceived as a more comprehensive cook book than previous efforts, as he covers everything from basic salads all the way through to desserts, even revisiting some of the chapters from earlier books (Making your own pasta, Risotto). Secondly, each section has an introduction of its own, including a list of 'Top tips' and a bullet-point guide to being a better ingredients shopper. Some of it may seem bleedin' obvious but it's great for the newcomer and worth reminding yourself of if you've been out of the game for a while. Finally - and most importantly! - it offers some very inventive and scrumptious-sounding new dishes, of which my favourite are:

'Gorgeous slow-cooked duck pasta'
'Pan-fried scallops with lentils, crispy pancetta and lemon creme fraiche'
'Grilled spatchcocked chicken with new potatoes, roast asparagus and herby yoghurt'

The recipes vary from the ridiculously simple (see: Return of egg salad, Prawn cocktail, Jools' favourite Saturday afternoon pasta) to the rather more time-consuming and complex (anything with crab or lobster...) and there are entire sub-chapters devoted to carrots, peas, broccoli and cauliflower!

Matt Pucci

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Food Made Easy, 9 Feb 2007
I bought this book as my new years resolution was to learn to cook. Who better to turn to than Mr Oliver? To start with, there are absolutely loads of recipes to try out, you could spend a very long time trying to decide what next to cook! Its always good to have variety, and Cook has this in spades. My first recipe attempt went disastrously wrong (sausage fusilli) but whether this was because we broiught the wrong sausages or because its not a great recipe i dont know, but we werent very keen! However, everything else we've cooked from this book has been a success. The meatballs were delicious and nicely spiced, the fish wrapped in bacon was yummy and surprisingly filling, and the home made custard is beyond words. Its so good and so hard to stop eating- calorific but the nicest thing i've eaten in a long while! Every recipe has a mouthwatering picture and there are tons of tips from shopping for meat to how to kill a lobster. If you want to learn to cook then this is a must buy-simple recipes that taste very very good!(apart from the sausage fusilli!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Jamie does it again!, 14 Dec 2006
I'm not very experienced in the cooking department and as a huge fan of Jamie Oliver i reckoned this must be the book for me. I wasn't wrong! As ever Jamie is easy to understand and seems sincere in his desire to make you, the reader, a better cook. I agree with a previous reviewer that his quantities are a bit off (the 15 Chocolate Tart makes enough pastry to fill 2 cases) and i've been a little disappointed with his baking recipes (the aforementioned chocolate tart was a nightmare to make and i had to fiddle with the amounts of flour and cooking times, in the end it tasted alright though). However i still love this book, it's really practical - with sections on buying and preparing meat, fish, poultry and herbs, sharpening knives and kitchen dos and don'ts - and his savoury recipes are wonderful as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and great food!, 14 Oct 2006
J. Jameson "julz5555" (uk) - See all my reviews
I got this book last week and as soon as I opened it inspired me to invite my whole family round for sunday lunch! (something i have NEVER done before lol)

I baked my first cake, made my first pavalova, and cooked a beautiful meal following several of the meat and vegetables recipes! Everyone loved it and I really enjoyed cooking it!

The book looks amazing and the food tastes even better! Think this would make a lovely christmas present for someone who is interested in learning more about cooking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Oliver is Coming of Age, 13 Sep 2007
Jon D "Jon in France" (South Vendée, France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Mr Oliver is a rare beast - a British popular chef who is big in France. His books are translated and he even gets on TV. "School Dinners" even spawned an imitator - this in a country where most children sit down to three course lunches in the school canteen.

The book is written with great confidence, as though Oliver has really settled into the rôle of teacher, not just of Chef. Some of the recipes are just brilliant, my favourite being "Mad Moroccan Lamb" but I agree with the comments made already that the cake departement is a little wanting, which is the reason behind the four rather than five stars.

The accompanying photographs to each recipe are generally excellent - there's nothing like having a picture to compare your results against - but the diagrams of which cut comes from where on a cow, sheep, etc really could have been better.

I confess that I find the "wotcher mate!" style of some passages a little irritating. Oliver really no longer has any need to be a cult personality since he most certainly has arrived. A very worthwhile addition to the shelf, however. I imagine that the French market will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, simplist book of Jamie Oliver so far, 25 Oct 2006
All though all of Jamie's books are good, there were all complicated to follow. There were to many this and that's and the ingredients were expensive. But now, as the book says; this helps you become a better cook. The ingredients are easy to get; they are simple things like common vegetables and meats that are not too expensive. The book is easy to follow, the foods are simple yet different in their own little ways, and still lovely.

Maybe some people that have loved Jamie's past books will be slightly disappointed with this one, but I wouldn't have thought so. This book is for new coming cooks that want to prepare a meal for any number of people. Jamie concentrates on everything in this book, loads of different food types: meaty main courses, desserts, veggie meals and even how to make simple fruit and veg better to eat.

I am now third of the way through this book (I haven't cooked everything) and all of the meals that I have followed in this book so far are excellent. The really important thing is that the recipes turn out just like the pictures provided, they are that simple to follow that they are always just like what they are supposed to look and taste like.

I would recommend this book to ANY inexperienced cook, or even a experienced one. This book is fantastic, even though the recipes are simple, and the food is not expensive, the meals are brilliant. This is to improve your everyday food, and there are even some tips on the techniques of making the food. This book is one of my best cooking guides. A must buy.

9.5/10

5.0 out of 5 stars A Turning Point, 16 July 2007
hippypunk (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This is an amazing book for many of us who have never taken the time to properly learn about food and how to cook it.

Jamie's covered everything from basic kitchen equipment, to what different cuts of meat actually are, all about types of fish and their preparation, to decriptions of herb flavours and what they work well with.

In my opinion, this is a truly revolutionary book for the beginner. I started with no experience and disasterous history in the kitchen. Yet everything I've cooked using this book has turned out beautifully and has totally amazed me and everyone I've cooked for. Thanks Jamie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook book for the Masses, 16 Oct 2006
Jamie Oliver is a rarity amongst Chefs - he understands and appreciates the fact that the majority of people in the UK get there food from their local supermarket and not a specailist delicatessen or some organic farmer 70 miles from nowhere. It is one of the reasons why this book is a must.

Jamie doesn't just tell you how to cook the meals, he explains why gas cookers are better than eletric hobs, the must have utensils (peeler and mortar), and why you should wear an apron when cooking. Simple I know, but the fact of the matter is that previous cook books assume that you know this information.

But my best section is the meat section. It is not often you see a diagram of a cow, lamb and pig in a cook book eached clearly marked showing you which part of the animal certain meats come from and how they should be cooked.

Each receipe comes with a picture of how the end dish should look.The receipes are not pretenious and you can get the ingredients from your local supermarket.

Jamie has inspired me to ditch the ready made meals and get back in the kitchen and for someone who didn't like cooking, I now love it.

PS Our microwave has been broken for the past six weeks, we were planning to get a new one, but you know what, we don't miss it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars His best book yet!, 21 Jan 2008
You know the drill, you see a cookbook in the shop, pick it up and browse through, see about 3 or 4 recipes that grab you and head for the checkout... Then, when you get home and cook a couple you find the rest of the book overly complicated and ultimately it gets tucked away with the rest of the Gordon's, Nigella's etc etc to gather dust. Not so with the latest offering from Mr Oliver... I've bought most of Jamie's books and I've tried a fair few of his recipes over the years, but this book contains the best selection yet in my opinion. I actually bought this particular one for my husband as he'd promised 2008 would be the year he finally learnt to cook more than beans on toast! But I've also found it really comprehensive and easy to follow too. Our favourite recipes so far are pan-roasted salmon with anchovy and rosemary sauce and the pan-fried sirloin steak with chianti butter and olive oil mash. We cooked both of these this weekend and they were amazing. So whether you like Jamie or not, buy this book - if we can cook the recipes and deal with our rather active 9 month old at the same time, anyone can!

5.0 out of 5 stars ....simple, effective, will impress your guests, 31 Dec 2007
I am a big fan of the young chap. He used to drive me nuts with his mock East End ramblings, but he is the real deal. Charity begins at home, he really does what he says he believes in. This book is excellent in many respects:
- the sections are clear, to the point and give you good basic information on where the food comes from, how it is cut (for the meats) and the trick and tips are good
- the recipes turn out exactly as given- that's not always the case with cook books. I have cooked 90% of the recipes here and have shared them with many friends at the dinner table - they all love them
- it is not pretentious, and being Italo/Swiss-French living in England I can appreciate this. Most restaurants or recipes in the UK "think" that my culture's cooking needs to be dressed up, detailed with exotic French words (which mean nothing) and presented as the height of elegance and unassailable. It's all rubbish.It's very ok to be "regional", to use food from the "terroir" and to think that your Mama's cooking is the best!
- the Italian cooking is true and pushes for fresh ingredients - that's what Italians want from their cooking
This books shows anyone that food is about fresh ingredients, preparing meals to share with other people - even it is just plain old pasta!

As time goes on he is becoming an old hand at this, but so far he has kept innovating and researching his cooking and his ingredients - he really does like his food.

Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook
Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook by Jamie Oliver (Hardcover - 5 Oct 2006)