5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, child-friendly meals
I saw the last two episodes of the television series with my children and then bought this book. We were horrified to discover what was actually served in their school dinners - especially the chicken nuggets.
Published on 3 May 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars First time buyers only
A word of warning to anyone who, like myself, has bought any or all of Jamie's other books. This isn't for you! This is a book aimed at complete cooking beginners. Many of Jamie's recipes have been repeated ( pesto, steak sandwich, yet another roast chicken) and others, toasted sandwiches for example, are really for people without any imagination in the kitchen.
That...
Published on 19 Oct 2004 by Andy Nichol

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, child-friendly meals, 3 May 2005
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
Aged 12 and 7, they have enjoyed reading the book and choosing recipes for meals. So far we have tried five of the fish recipes, three pasta recipes and the roast chicken. They have all been hugely successful and easy to prepare. The book contains a great section on 5 minute meals - ideal for busy families when you still want to serve something healthy.
The kids loved the Pasta Bianco and roast chicken, and, to my surprise, thoroughly enjoyed the fish ratatouille and salmon and couscous. I have substituted some of the ingredients with low fat alternatives, and they still taste great.
This is a lovely, encouraging book, great for families and cooks who are not overly-confident. I think Jamie Oliver deserves a medal for bringing the appalling content of school dinners to the nation's attention and for showing a workable, healthy alternative.
This book has helped make my children more interested in the food they eat at school and at home. Thank you Jamie Oliver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and simple, 30 Jan 2005
John Kimble (N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
This was the first cook book I'd ever bought for myself, usually I'd have used an old one that was lying around the house, or one of my girlfriends or a recipe of the net, but I decided it was about time I got one for myself.
For me, as a novice cook I found the book easy to follow and easy to understand. He uses ingredients and terminology that I've heard of and that I could easily pick up in a local supermarket. I've only had the book a while and I've already tried quite a few of the recipes with quite a lot of success!
The book itself is split up into several sections, including salads, soups, vegetables, five minute wonders, (meal for one) pasta, meat, fish and desserts. Jamie also outlines recipes for his top ten, which includes roast chicken, fish and chips and apple pie.
I felt the book was very useful, helpful and gave me confidence to try some variations on what was written in it. I'd recommend it for first timers like myself and I'm sure more experienced cooks might gain something from his approach and style to cooking.
Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars First time buyers only, 19 Oct 2004
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
That said, this is really a good book for someone looking for a no nonsense introduction into their kitchen, and emphasizes that good food need not be either expensive or hard to make. Anyone who buys this book really has no excuse for getting pre-made or take out food ever again, the five minute wonder chapter even has recipes that are quicker to prepare than it takes to heat up a jar of "Chicken Tonite"
I hope Jamie succeeds in his quest to get people back into their kitchens eating healthy home made dinners, but, if you have already heeded the call, steer clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 11 Oct 2004
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
I received my copy of Jamie's dinners 2 days ago, and it's been very difficult to put it down! This book is absolutely packed with recipes, tips, and anecdotes - I especially like the one about Jamie's mother putting a note into his lunch box, I'm going to do the same for my son :) Overall, a lot of the cooking is very family oriented, which as a mother of two I can appreciate. The sandwich section is interesting and I like the way a recipe for one thing like pesto is given, and then you're presented with several ideas of ways to use it. And there are several series of preparation photos which will be very useful. I made the tomato soup last night and it was lovely. It seems that Jamie's roast chicken recipe has evolved, and I can't wait to try it out. I would definitely reccommend this book to anyone looking for some kitchen inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 29 Oct 2005
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book. It is probably the only cook book I have come across where I have actually cooked the vast majority of recipes in it and I love them all!
Highlights include the Lasagne (a twist on the classic), burger and chips, tray baked salmon and the chicken tikka masala is amazing. Even the salads are fab and there are so many recipes in this book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys cooking simple meals with lots of fresh ingredients. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted... to Jamie's Dinners!!!, 8 Mar 2005
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
Purchased Jamie's Dinners after watching his TV programme of the same name. My little boy thankfully attends a school which has healthy eating in place and he gets good food at dinner time, i.e. no turkey twizzlers. I have had the book two days and have made three recipes so far, and all I hear from my kids before, during and after is good - something smells good when it's cooking; yummy, tasty, good, mmmmmmm, whilst devouring their plateful, and burps and farts of appreciation afterwards. They have big appetites and love the pasta dishes, the tomato macaroni cheese is in the oven as I type this!! Well Done Jamie on a great book, my kids are three and five years of age and they love your grub, and so do I. There are recipes which are quick to make which are a godsend for me with two kids to look after. I love cooking and Jamies recipes are easy to follow, so long as you prepare all the ingredients they don't take long to put together. Lots of tasty recipes with easy to find ingredients, and family favourites too which I have yet to try, can't wait. Jamie's Dinners will be within easy reach in my kitchen until I've tried every recipe, it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the BEST Jamie book to hit the shelves!, 5 May 2005
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
'Follow Jamie as he takes on arguably his biggest and bravest challenge yet - to uncover the shocking truth about the food our children eat.
Based on his brilliant TV series Jamie proves that children are affected by the food they eat, not just at school - but also at home.
With the busy lives we lead today, it's all too easy to rely on ready-made meals.

'Jamie's Dinners' not only offers 120 quality recipes that use ingredients readily available in any High Street, but also shows how to make a lifestyle choice that will have a beneficial effect on every member of the family.
The politicians were convinced by Jamie's evidence and we think you will be too!'

Having a number of worried Mums in my social circle, this book has become a must-have especially after the devastating news portrayed by the TV series of the same name.
Most were intrigued by the JO theory that children will eat the food if it is nicely presented and frankly, if there is nothing else for 'Tea'!
This is a well-written, book packed full of tasty treats, including 'Pasta Bianco and Roast Chicken' which got rave reviews from the children at a recent cook-night!

The overall opinion was that this book breaks the mould, with most 'celeb chefs' assuming that we are all 'practical', in the kitchen.
You don't feel this with Jamie - even the least confident cooks have found great new ideas and put them to the test.
Best of all, the children themselves have got involved and eaten their own end-product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for quick and easy meals, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
I own most of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks, and I have to say that this is my favorite. The two things I really enjoy about this book is that 1: it focuses on delicious dinners (not side salads, desserts and other dishes, although these are represented as well). 2: Most of the recipes are really fast and easy. This makes 'Jamie's Dinners' the perfect book for every-day sit down dinners.

If I know that my family will be having a hectic schedule for the week or if I just don't feel like spending ages in the kitchen I'll get out this book and use recipes from it. The five minute meals chapter especially is a life saver. Obviously I spend more than five minutes, not being a professional chef, but most of the recipes I can get from the fridge to the table in less than 30 minutes and that's good enough for me.

Some of my favorite recipes in this book include the Chicken Tikka Masala, the white fish with parmesan, the home made burgers, the fish n' chips, the beef pack choi and the spinach and mascarpone pasta. If you only get one Jamie Oliver book, get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book, 18 Feb 2005
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
I disagree completely with featherandquill. As a busy mum this book is great. It has no nonsense recipes that kids will enjoy and I have found it indispensible. It is a good tool for introducing children to different healthy foods in a way that they love. I would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for the imagination, 26 Nov 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A book which emerged from Oliver's television series on schools dinners, and which accompanied the campaign to bring nutritional food to schools throughout the British Isles. This is very much a beginner's cookbook. It presents a range of recipes and ideas, but, throughout, it poses the question - do you want your kids to respect themselves and eat a healthy diet, or are you going to be satisfied if they shovel junk down their throats?
Oliver is demonstrating that 'fast' food should be good food - that nourishing, nutritional meals can be prepared cheaply, quickly, and easily, if you just learn a few basic skills and ideas, experiment, and allow yourself the chance to grow in self-confidence. So he presents an entry level cookbook - exploring the basic ingredients and cooking methods, recognising that speed of cooking is about preparation and planning.
He offers recipes for traditional sausage and mash, for a healthy burger and chips, for a range of meals which children and young people will find attractive. Package the food right, your children will start to enjoy good food and not just additives. There are recipes which will take time in the oven, there are ones you can throw together in five minutes, there are ideas for sandwiches, there are hints on preparing sauces in bulk then producing them from the freezer as and when necessary.
It's a stimulating, entertaining package, and one which might just encourage a bit of exploration and adventure. It's a book which can appeal to parents and children alike, one which students might take with them to college, and there are plentiful quick meal hints to note so you could pick up the ingredients on the way home from work on those days you suddenly panic that there's no food in the house. Jamie Oliver demonstrates that imagination is the core ingredient to good cooking. A book to enjoy.

Jamie's Dinners
Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver (Hardcover - 7 Oct 2004)