5.0 out of 5 stars I bow before greatness!
Published on 31 Dec 2001 by LD

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, but not nearly as good as any of her others
Published on 29 Jan 2002 by Burberry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I bow before greatness!, 31 Dec 2001
LD (Derry, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under the Duvet (Hardcover)
I expected to hate this book. I geared myself up for throwing it aside and swearing at Marian for publishing "a collection of articles" instead of the meaty novels that I love to immerse myself in. So annoyed was I when I heard Under The Duvet was not a novel that I resolutely swore not to buy it in the usual frenzy in the bookshop way I usually buy Ms. Keyes' books and waited for my sister to buy me it for Christmas and even then, still being the huffy so and so I am, I refused to read it until a stomach bug laid me low and I was bored senseless with Christmas TV. I laughed outloud, I cried, I read it too fast, I fell in love with Marian Keyes ability to write all over again. As a journalist and wannabe writer, I am in awe. Marian Keyes is so like me, her obsession with shoes, her longing for a baby, her husband who thinks she is a human radar for his lost property... it all rings so true. The humour was evident, but perhaps the most powerfully written article in this book is the tale of Marian's own struggle with alcoholism, culminating in an attempt on her life. She is proof that everyone can make it. So after reading this book, I emerged from under my duvet (stomach bug gone) and have decided to start writing again.
Do not let the fact that this is not a novel stop you from buying it, buy it now, and buy it for your friends. Its funny, its moving, its for a good cause.
Roll on the next book, whatever form it may take.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny stuff with a few surprises, 13 Oct 2003
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
I'd heard great things about Marian Keyes before reading this so was hoping this book would be worth the price of the magazine it came free with(!) I was not disappointed. Keyes is a funny, funny woman and Under the Duvet had me laughing like a drain! I don't often actually laugh out loud when reading but it was hard not too when Keyes writes about otherwise boring everyday things with such creativity and humour.
The book is put together in a series of short chapters making it ideal to flick though and dip in and out of. So much of what she says rings true in particular 'A Quiet Millennium Night In' and how irritating News Years Eve can be.
I was surprised to find this book to contain quite a serious and thought provoking chapter about Keyes and her spiral into alcoholism. I didn't expect that in a book that is so obviously meant to be lighthearted, but it is an inspiring chapter and interesting to read how she overcome her problems.
If you have read books by Marian Keyes before or even if you haven't, I think most people would enjoy this book and find at least one chapter they can relate too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 20 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Under the Duvet (Hardcover)
I don't normally like a book full of short stories but I really enjoyed 'Under The Duvet', the way Marian Keyes writes and the Irish phrases she uses made me laugh on a miserable winter's morning commuting to work. I particularly liked the piece about being scared of dogs and read it to my boyfriend to prove I am not the only one with this irrational fear. Can't wait until the next book

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 6 Nov 2009
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
I read Under the Duvet in one go on a long train journey.
(Looking back, I now realise fellow pasengers must have wondered what I was giggling about.)
The book is NOT a novel, but a collection of magazine articles written over the years by Ms Keyes who, incredibly, writes in an Irish accent. How does she do that?
The legion of Keyes fans will enjoy finding more about the author and her life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where do I start?, 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
I have read this collection of short works by Marian Keyes so many times that I've lost count now. It's a great little book to keep by the bed so you can read a couple of pieces without wondering what's going to happen next, unlike most Keyes books which I find almost impossible to put down. Her writing is just so funny and observant. A lot of the pieces of journalism had already been published although I hadn't read them before, but some new ones were penned especially for this collection. I particularly liked Fear and Loathing in Los Angeles - a hilarious ancedote of Marian's trip to LA LA land. It had me in fits of laughter. Another winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book people can relate to, 17 Aug 2008
Mrs. Jane P. Mason "Baggie Girl" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
I was sceptical about buying this after reading some negative reviews - but i loved it. Easy to dip in and out of, and alot of her tales people can laugh along with because it's happened to them. I was also very touched to learn about Marian's previous alcohol problems as i had no idea! Now i can see why she writes about it so well in her novels.
Anyway, goood book that i would recommend to fans of Marian Keyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable read!, 9 Dec 2002
Ms. R. E. Slack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
This book was one of the funniest I have read in a long time. The kind of book that has you sniggering to yourself on public transport and receiving funny looks from fellow commuters. I especially enjoyed the Irish phrases, perhaps thanks to my own Irish heritage, but I'm sure enjoyable for all. I knew it was a collection of previously published articles when I bought it, and enjoyed it for what it was: a collection of down to earth, witty tales based around everyday experiences. If I was ever going to take up writing, I would turn to this book for guidance. A great read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, but not nearly as good as any of her others, 29 Jan 2002
This review is from: Under the Duvet (Hardcover)
I waited with "pre-ordered" bated breathe until this book was available. Unfortunately, it was not up to Marian Keyes normal calibre of writing. Rather than combining articles and short stores, I would recommend sticking to novels where we get to know and enjoy the characters and situations. It still has pride on the bookshelf with all the other Marian Keyes books (which I truly adore), but I would recommend any of her other books first before this one to a friend who wasn't familiar with her work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Reading, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
Perfect for a quick read every now & again. very funny & insightful. throuoghly enjoyable especially to those who understand Marian's wit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT BEACH READ., 28 Jun 2004
This review is from: Under The Duvet (Paperback)
I took this book on my holiday last year, and it was one of the best beach books iv read, well worth getting your teeth in to it, its filled with witty and funny samples of her other books plus unseen samples, if you get one book to take on holiday get this as you wont be disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Under the Duvet
Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes (Hardcover - 25 Oct 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01