5.0 out of 5 stars A new Elizabeth DAVID's fan!!!, 27 Feb 2002
I was just browsing in my local bookshop under the "Cooking-category". I came across Elizabeth DAVID's 'IS THERE A NUTMEG IN THE HOUSE" by accident. I bought the book straight away, and I can't put down the book.
I had tried Pastenak (pasnips) and cress cream soup. Spicy lentils soup is just delicious! And, the spiced prunes!!! hmmm.....
One of new year's resolution is to eat healthily, more vegetables and fruits!! I know I can do it this time. :) Whats so AWESOME is the introduction of new ways of cooking veg (eg parsnips - which I normally roasted them) and simple and clear instructions.
Funny and witty delivery! Thoroughly enjoyed the book.
I have also bought "French Provincial Book", and "Italian cooking". I cant wait to read them.
If you like Elizabeth DAVID, you will also like Jane GRIGSON. Similar style.
After discovering Elizabeth David's and Jane Grigson's works, I really think going to basic, simple, uncomplicated... is the WAY TO GO. I prefer this GENERATION of chefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appetizing Reading, 13 Feb 2001
This review is from: Is There a Nutmeg in the House? (Hardcover)
I always enjoy reading Elizabeth David, but this is the best I have seen yet. There is a great variety of material in here: The bread sticks that are going to be on our table soon. Which were the first recipes for Ices published in England? A cook in Cairo. The evils of treating foreign recipes (risotto, pizza, smorgesbord) as leftover bins.
I was particularly amused by a comment after one recipe that a very similar recipe could be found in a book by another author - except for different stuffing ingredients and a different sauce. This is not a book for a beginner, but if you love cooking and like to experiment with food you may agree or disagree with Ms. David's comments, but will certainly enjoy reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 April 2013
Another beauty from Elizabeth David. They are all so easy to read and gain knowledge from that you feel you have had a visit form an old friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars elizabeth david - cook supreme, 7 Nov 2009
This review is from: Is There a Nutmeg in the House? (Hardcover)
This book intrigues from the title page onwards. It is filled with interesting details - recipes, meetings and correspondence with other cooks and acquaintances. A book to read from cover to cover or to dip into when the fancy takes.

Is There a Nutmeg in the House?
Is There a Nutmeg in the House? by Elizabeth David (Hardcover - 26 Oct 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01