on 10 March 2002
He sets up the arguments, knocks them down and then builds them up again. In a gripping 700 pages Graham Hancock travels from the UK to Malta, to the Caribbean, to India, to Japan and Taiwan, carefully weaving a fascinating story pointing to a new chapter, or perhaps many chapters, in the early history of mankind.
He presents arguments for and arguments against his lines of enquiry, making clear his own views but leaving space for alternative views too.
It is a real tour de force, passionately presented and fairly closely reasoned. I was left breathless at the end of it, believing there was much more he could have said but had no room to say it. I packed it to read on holiday in March and it quite spoiled my conversation for a lot of the time - I could not put it down!
Many advances in human science and understanding have been made by "amateurs", those whose minds are not conditioned to think down parallel lines and I feel that this author has opened a new line of thought which deserves to be explored much further.
The book ends with a postscript that artefacts recovered from one of the sites he features, in India, have been carbon dated to 9,500 years ago -"5000 years older than any city so far recognised by archaeologists".
Buy the book - it is a real hurricane of fresh sea air!
0Comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2002
Bless television..it's brought Graham Hancock and his questions to the American public! Once introduced, I read Fingerprints of the Gods and eagerly awaited Underworld. It was not yet available on Amazon in the US and I ordered through the UK version. Why? Because I find Hancock's determination to challenge very contagious and patience be damned. I cannot remember the last time I went through a 700+ page book in a week! I live in Northern California but a wonderful result of Hancock's work is that it makes no difference who you are or where you live, to be affected. The tangible still remains to be found...artifacts, peoples, extent of travels and knowledge, etc. but in the meantime I now feel we all have much more common roots than ever before imagined. And this can (well, should) bring us together as a species even more. When/if Mr. Hancock's findings prove out, it will probably take a century or more of labor on the part of religious thinkers, sociologists, anthropologists, etc. to digest and interpret the meanings. Hopefully, they will do so with open minds. Yes, a long book but then again it's too short...there is SO much to learn. Thank you Mr. Hancock..keep this research coming!
on 22 March 2015
This was a world wide exploration while I was specifically researching Malta, the information on Malta was well researched and outlined - an interesting read with good references for follow up.
Provides the facts as well as his own interpretation of them.
on 30 June 2011
After reading Finger Prints of the Gods this is a must read. Not as compelling or well written as Fingerprints, but for anyone that is interested in the ideas of a lost civilization, this book must be on your list of must reads.
on 7 January 2013
I watched the Graham Hancock series on TV so decided to get the Book. it is quite a laborious read but If you are interested in another aspect, then this book will suit you. I bought it in a used state, but it was fine.
on 2 March 2013
Also arrived very quickly, very good service as always.
Will be ordering more of his books.
Have had sent to a Uk address as you are unable to supply to me in North Cyprus ( Turkey )
on 16 August 2013
I love Graham Hancock - he has a really compelling way of writing and his revelations are nothing short of amazing. Find out all about the ancient kingdoms from under the sea and be amazed
on 15 March 2015
Excellent and eye-opening work from Graham Hancock, a masterpiece in the Puzzle of clarifying the early history of mankind, challenging and with surprising conclusions
on 5 August 2015
Disappointing. Incomplete conclusions. I know no more now than when I started, and I believe in Atlantis!
on 20 March 2002
Fasinating, thought provoking and highly interesting. Sometimes a little heavy going with all the references to other material, but well worth the read. Not a book to read in one sitting - but you will find yourself being pulled back to read more. I'm convinced Graham!